Page 82 of 261 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 3913
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Now reading on my Kindle The Stowmarket Mystery by Louis Tracy.
    Now reading on my Kindle the second (and I believe) the last book featuring the barrister and amateur sleuth Reginald Brett - The Albert Gate Mystery.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I just started reading paper towns by John Green

Currently reading Malazan 7.

Recent reads: What the Hell Did I Just Read? by David Wong, a new John Dies At The End adventure. Loved it.

The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan. A ghost story about a schizophrenic lesbian written by a trans author. Some people act like LGBT heavy books aren't accessible to straight readers, but books like this one would put those critics in their place. The prose managed to modernize Poe's style without feeling melodramatic or cringey. I highly recommend this for people seeking a weird, atmospheric October book, especially if you liked books like The Shining or Head Full Of Ghosts.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Facing the Lion: Growing Up Maasai on the African Savanna by Joseph Lemasolai Lekuton

All-New Member

I have read Arch of Triumph of Erich Maria Remarque, who is my favorite writer, every his novel is a piece of Art, but not so easy to read though.
    Erich Maria Remarque has quite an impressive biography, I found out that he liked old manors and collected antiques. He spent his last years in this villa in Switzerland https://tranio.com/switzerland/adt/1628216/, now it is for sale.

BANNED

I finally finished Moby Dick.

Favorite passage, and possibly the best thing I've ever read:

Squeeze! Squeeze! Squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers' hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,-- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I finally finished Moby Dick.

Favorite passage, and possibly the best thing I've ever read:
    As I read that, George Takei's voice can be heard in my head saying "Oh, my!"

Starting tomorrow, I begin Nelson DeMille's second John Corey book The Lion's Game. On my Kindle, I'll read and finish the short story All Cats are Gray by science-fiction writer Andre Norton. On Friday on my Kindle, I'll take on King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard, the first Allan Quatermain novel (I have seen the Stewart Granger-Deborah Kerr film numerous times).

Skunk Works by Ben R. Rich & Leo Janos
    It's about the developement of the U-2 spyplane and the B117 stealth fighter. It's full of interesting bits of history and information having to do with aviation and the development of stealth technoloy.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Question for those who have read the Dark Tower books. If I liked the movie, would I like the books?

Also, how do the books compare to the movie?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Re-reading everything by Laird Barron. DUde gives me the craziest nightmares.

Joe Hill's new book is out Tuesday, I'll be reading that one ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Question for those who have read the Dark Tower books. If I liked the movie, would I like the books?

Also, how do the books compare to the movie?
    I haven't seen the film myself, but if you enjoyed it, I would assume you would like the books (most likely more). Probably better to get the opinion of those who have seen the movie and read all of the books, though.

On my Kindle, I began Samuel Butler's Alps and Sanctuaries of Piedmont and and the Canton Ticino today.

Joe Hill's Strange Weather was so freaking good!!! Holy smokes, this was a goodie. After Steve King's 2017 book was a huge let-down and Joe Hill's 2016 novel The Fireman was a colossal waste of time, this book has made up for the past clunkers from the King clan. Strange Weather is a collection of four novellas, and each one has a big enough concept where it could have been a full novel, but instead Hill went for what he calls an "all killer, no filler approach" where everything just comes fast and furious. Each story was better than the last, a perfect horror collection. Here's notes on the stories, no spoilers, just the info you could get from the book sleeve. It starts with a story about a man who steals memories. Then there's one about modern mass shooter culture that gets so freaking intense! After that, a man goes sky diving only to land upon a solid cloud that takes him on a magic adventure. To end the collection, there's Rain, a tale about rain going from water to huge nails and the societal collapse that comes with it. This was my favorite one, it should have been as long as The Fireman and the Fireman should have been as short as Rain.

Anyways, now back to Malazan 7. I want to finish this series in 2017.

Later tonight, I'll begin on my Kindle Allan Quatermain, the second book of the series featuring H. Rider Haggard's famous character. I have a collection of all of the books, so the rest will pop up here in the near future (except for She and Allan, which I will hold off on until I have read all of the Ayesha novels beforehand).

Revenant by Melanie Tem