Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    No, Wonder Woman about to engage a bunch of gun-wielding thugs is the central part there. You want a shot of Diana about to charge a group of guys? You shoot from behind her. She has a butt and she's wearing tight pants. That means her butt is going to be in the shot. She's leaning forward, so the pants are going to be tight on her butt. It's really that simple.
    And yet she is twisted in such a way that you can see her butt, with tight cloth that somehow goes completely up between her buttocks to clearly outline both sides, *and* you can still see her breast.

That's not how you charge anyone

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    And yet she is twisted in such a way that you can see her butt, with tight cloth that somehow goes completely up between her buttocks to clearly outline both sides, *and* you can still see her breast.

That's not how you charge anyone
    Looks to me like she landed perpendicular to the guys, and was then in the process of turning to face them prior to charging.

Was a little more effort put into showing the goods by the artist? I'll meet you halfway and say there are other ways to have drawn that scene a bit. But I just don't see that pic as any kind of a big deal.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Why is it fetish fuel? Because its black? I don't get it, it doesn't even look like a dominatrix outfit. Its a black dress. If anything it looks like a dark take on a fairy tale motif.
    You are welcome to give us another type of people who wear black leather corsets and posture collars, likes chaining people up and have followers to obey their every whim.

Other than that, have you ever googled dominatrix?

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Because people don't like the outfit and Circe is a girl.
    Circe is a woman thats, in this version by Tomasi, is one thats supposed to be feared, not out to get laid.

How is that pic more sexualized? If Diana were in her classic costume in that pose, she'd be showing off about two thirds of her ass. She's wearing tight pants. She's leaning forward. It happens.
    It's over sexualizing the wearer the same way the Wonder Thong was in the 90'ties, it hides nothing, it's not in any way modest... for what it's doing it might as well be body paint.

Personally? I find MOW Circe plenty sexy. I wasn't creeped out by her at all. I just thought "Hey! Mostly naked chick! Yeah!"
    Honestly, that just says more about you than her.

How is Tomasi's Circe oversexualized? She's wearing a black leather outfit. I don't recall a single brokeback pose, no serious attempt to draw attention to Circe's ass or boobs. No real effort to call attention toward her body of any kind. And, frankly, I found "creepy eyes, dominatrix Circe" much more unsettling than "naked seductress Circe."
    The eyes is the only thing that visually differentiates this Circe from Harley Quinn. As for drawing attention... there is no need, her outfit generously puts her female attributes on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I guess she's "oversexualized" simply BECAUSE she's wearing black leather? Yeah, I don't get it either.
    Would it help to understand the problem if Lex Luthor started walking around Lex Corp dressed in biker leathers?

More villains need to wear muumuus.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Circe is a woman thats, in this version by Tomasi, is one thats supposed to be feared, not out to get laid.
    I would fear a crazy-eyed man-hating witch lady in black leather. Don't know about you.

It's over sexualizing the wearer the same way the Wonder Thong was in the 90'ties, it hides nothing, it's not in any way modest... for what it's doing it might as well be body paint.
    And yet, Diana's classic costume would've done no better in that scene, was my point.

Honestly, that just says more about you than her.
    It says I'm an admirer of the female form and I found nothing scary about a smiling, air-headed twit babbling nonsense while rubbing herself all over a guy.

The eyes is the only thing that visually differentiates this Circe from Harley Quinn. As for drawing attention... there is no need, her outfit generously puts her female attributes on display.
    The lack of black hair also differentiates her from Harley Quinn. As does the third braid and the completely different outfit.

And yet, the artist never once zeroes in on those "female attributes." Circe's wearing a somewhat sexy outfit. She's always been a seductive character.

You can't use the "That's totally impractical for a fight" argument, either. One? Circe's magical. Two? Circe has pretty much never been much of a physical fighter. She's not the "Charge into battle swinging punches" type. She can wear a more impractical outfit because if she finds herself in a situation where she has to trade punches with someone, then something has gone very wrong.

She dresses sexy because being seductive is one of her best weapons. The fact that she also displayed a great deal of mental instability, scary magic power, and a cruel disposition cuts down a lot on how sexy I actually find her.

Let's put it this way. MOW Circe? Not scary or intimidating at all. If she propositioned me, I'd probably say "Yes." Tomasi's Circe? Very intimidating and unsettling in appearance and demeanor. I don't care if she's showing off her goods, if she propositions me I'd be more inclined to beg for my life than accept the offer.

Would it help to understand the problem if Lex Luthor started walking around Lex Corp dressed in biker leathers?
    Luthor's a totally different character from Circe, so I'm thinking not.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 02-23-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

I just realized that I've been pronouncing Circe wrong my entire life. I've been saying SER-SEE, essentially, and never put the thought into it that she's Greek and it's totally KUR-KEE. But you'll have that. I mean most of us say "ZOOSE" instead of "ZEE-OOS". And most of us say Hera as "HARE-UH" instead of "HERE-AH."

Aiaia is actually classical Greek Aeaea, and really was the name of her island. So that's pretty cool to me.

So it's a weird tangent, but to me the sound "S" and thinking of her in terms of "SUR-SEE" lent itself to the sort of purple, flighty versions of her we've had in recent years. But "KUR-KEE"? Those hard K sounds that cut through the air? They lend themselves to a kind of an evil queen archetype a lot better. It's such an English language thing, too - I mean I've been furious at the letter "C" for a long time for being utterly useless and wasteful and trying to sound like both "S" and "K" whenever it feels like it. And the letter "X", which is actually supposed to be a "CH" sound, too, for trying to sound like "K" and "S" combined.

Which is a long way of getting around to say I'll be spelling Kirke's name as Kirke from now on. I liked this take on Kirke a lot. I thought "Hey, Wonder Woman really doesn't have that many redhead nemeses." Though I'd have been content with some poor rube fallguy and not the ultra-gimmicky use of Magog.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 02-23-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

I would fear a crazy-eyed man-hating witch lady in black leather. Don't know about you.
    Not really. Since; A) I wouldn't know if she was nuts. B) In the vast world of DC, glowing eyes is hardly a cause of terror in it's own. C) When has it been mentioned Circe is particularly misandrist? She seems equally vile against women.

And yet, Diana's classic costume would've done no better in that scene, was my point.
    If drawn by Jim Lee or someone editorially mandated to do so, sure. Put Chiang on it however and she'd be just fine.

Itsays I'm an admirer of the female form and I found nothing scary about a smiling, air-headed twit babbling nonsense while rubbing herself all over a guy.
    It says you wouldn't be at all suspicious about a deathly pale woman floating a couple of inches above the ground and her hair floating into the air thats covered by pieces of cloth that float on their own. I think you need to watch a Japanese horror movie to understand where we are coming from.

The lack of black hair also differentiates her from Harley Quinn. As does the third braid and the completely different outfit.
    Yes, a third braid certainly makes all the difference. You'd mistake the two for a couple or sisters if you jogges past them in a park.

And yet, the artist never once zeroes in on those "female attributes." Circe's wearing a somewhat sexy outfit. She's always been a seductive character.
    She's never been a seductress, and thats the difference, she always been more 'kneel before Zod!' than Catwoman. The only time she was that was when she was wearing Diana's form.

You can't use the "That's totally impractical for a fight" argument, either. One? Circe's magical. Two? Circe has pretty much never been much of a physical fighter. She's not the "Charge into battle swinging punches" type. She can wear a more impractical outfit because if she finds herself in a situation where she has to trade punches with someone, then something has gone very wrong.
    Where did I mention anything about practicality?

I am well aware and supportive of mystical charcters, like Circe, like Raven, like Dr. Fate wearing more impractical costumes as magicians, since their powers are not about jumping around.

She dresses sexy because being seductive is one of her best weapons. The fact that she also displayed a great deal of mental instability, scary magic power, and a cruel disposition cuts down a lot on how sexy I actually find her.
    Circe is one of the most powerful magicians DC has, it's not in her character nor in her interest to seduce anyone when she can reduce most people to their component atoms with the wave of her hand. Seriously, when the devil did Circe turn into Tala?

Let's put it this way. MOW Circe? Not scary or intimidating at all. If she propositioned me, I'd probably say "Yes." Tomasi's Circe? Very intimidating and unsettling in appearance and demeanor. I don't care if she's showing off her goods, if she propositions me I'd be more inclined to beg for my life than accept the offer.
    Please, Tomasi's Circe is about as scary as the Wicked Witch of the West. Thats plenty scary if you are Dorothy and her useless friends, anyone else, not really.

Luthor's a totally different character from Circe, so I'm thinking not.
    Yes, he's a dude. Thats about all the difference there is to them in this context; they are supposed to be serious characters, sadly this Circe is not dressing accordingly to be taken as such.

BANNED

Circe looked fabulous in my opinion. When I saw her on the cover I was a little bit underwhelmed by the new design but I think she looks great having seen it better. And she was delightfully villainous, Manhke's done her justice I think. Overall I'm very pleased I think they've done an excellent job.

BANNED

I like that Circe's more of a quiet assassin, she's not supposed to look in-your-face scary, she's an elegant, cunning witch.

Incredible Member

You are welcome to give us another type of people who wear black leather corsets and posture collars, likes chaining people up and have followers to obey their every whim.

Other than that, have you ever googled dominatrix?

So anyone who wears black leather is automatically a dominatrix which in your mind also means that's she's is looking for sex? I bring this up because I remember seeing lots of articles (which I agree with) saying that just because females wear something doesn't mean they are soliciting sex.

BANNED

well new batgirl wear leather, but it has nothing sexy on it

I would love to see luthor with bike leather pants

sexy villains for everyone, fair is fair
    Last edited by Blacksun; 02-23-2015 at 01:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    So anyone who wears black leather is automatically a dominatrix which in your mind also means that's she's is looking for sex? I bring this up because I remember seeing lots of articles (which I agree with) saying that just because females wear something doesn't mean they are soliciting sex.
    The dominatrix theme suits her nicely actually, after all she's a strong, powerful woman surrounded by men that she dominates. It's definitely present in her design but it's subtle and tasteful, it doesn't scream SEX. I don't think she looks skanky

BANNED

You are referring to comicbooks, the only reason charachers are drawn this way is to have sexual appeal. Which is whats so wrong about it.
    Circe does not need to look sexy for anyone, yet here she is, and the only ones in favor of it is a segment of the male audience.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I just realized that I've been pronouncing Circe wrong my entire life. I've been saying SER-SEE, essentially, and never put the thought into it that she's Greek and it's totally KUR-KEE. But you'll have that. I mean most of us say "ZOOSE" instead of "ZEE-OOS". And most of us say Hera as "HARE-UH" instead of "HERE-AH."

Aiaia is actually classical Greek Aeaea, and really was the name of her island. So that's pretty cool to me.

So it's a weird tangent, but to me the sound "S" and thinking of her in terms of "SUR-SEE" lent itself to the sort of purple, flighty versions of her we've had in recent years. But "KUR-KEE"? Those hard K sounds that cut through the air? They lend themselves to a kind of an evil queen archetype a lot better. It's such an English language thing, too - I mean I've been furious at the letter "C" for a long time for being utterly useless and wasteful and trying to sound like both "S" and "K" whenever it feels like it. And the letter "X", which is actually supposed to be a "CH" sound, too, for trying to sound like "K" and "S" combined.

Which is a long way of getting around to say I'll be spelling Kirke's name as Kirke from now on. I liked this take on Kirke a lot. I thought "Hey, Wonder Woman really doesn't have that many redhead nemeses." Though I'd have been content with some poor rube fallguy and not the ultra-gimmicky use of Magog.
    Greek guy here. We pronounce it "Kirki" or "Key-R-Key" if you like. But in English i always called her See-R-See like you said. I thought that's how you guys pronounced her and rolled with it. Also, Zeus isnt used so often here. We mostly call him Dias. The bastard had many names.
    It says you wouldn't be at all suspicious about a deathly pale woman floating a couple of inches above the ground and her hair floating into the air thats covered by pieces of cloth that float on their own. I think you need to watch a Japanese horror movie to understand where we are coming from.
    This. Exactly this.
    I dont know where you live, but a leather dress and a leather chocker scream dominatrix to me. I dont see anyone wearing that crap on the street.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Greek guy here. We pronounce it "Kirki" or "Key-R-Key" if you like. But in English i always called her See-R-See like you said. I thought that's how you guys pronounced her and rolled with it. Also, Zeus isnt used so often here. We mostly call him Dias. The bastard had many names.

This. Exactly this.

I dont know where you live, but a leather dress and a leather chocker scream dominatrix to me. I dont see anyone wearing that crap on the street.
    Cool I didn't know that. I think "Sir-Sea" has a nicer ring to it than "Kirki" though