Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your thoughts about the crazy sales figures for the new Star Wars comics

Certainly Star Wars comics aren't new, its not like SW comics are something fans have been craving. So why does a new SW comic sell almost a million copies just because Marvel puts it out?

Oh and not to mention, its not like its covering some time period we've never seen, or showing brand new characters. I'm not complaining, I love me some SW, but I was just curious why this was such a hit compared to when Dark Horse was publishing them?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think they were driven on pure hype and speculation. The real test is going to be the numbers for issue 3 or 4. Plus Marvel latched on to all the hype for the new movie coming out also which was a big factor.

BANNED

Marvel marketing, big creative team, and a MILLION variants. The drop between #1 and #2 should be huge. Comic shops are gonna have Star Wars #1 lying around in boxes for years.

It's manufactured to capitalize on the hype of the new films.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think they were driven on pure hype and speculation. The real test is going to be the numbers for issue 3 or 4. Plus Marvel latched on to all the hype for the new movie coming out also which was a big factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Marvel marketing, big creative team, and a MILLION variants. The drop between #1 and #2 should be huge. Comic shops are gonna have Star Wars #1 lying around in boxes for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    It's manufactured to capitalize on the hype of the new films.
    ^ This.

It''ll be interesting to see how they sell in the long run. But after issue 4, I'm hanging tight until there's a SW comic with a creative team I want to read. Bummed that Gillen and Larocca are doing Vader / villains because I am just not interested in those characters.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

All-New Member deathbyjazzhands's Avatar

I don't think y'all are wrong, I'm certain the numbers will drop heavily. However, to offer personal perspective, my primary reason for purchasing was because Jason Aaron is writing it. I like Star Wars as much as the next nerd, but I also like a ton of stuff that I don't buy the comics for (Doctor Who, Pathfinder, etc). The creative team and favorable reviews drove me to this one, but it does seem like the numbers are too high to be sustainable.

Mighty Member

Remember that Star Wars #1 went back for a FOURTH printing. It's not like no one is buying it.

Can Disney / Marvel figure out how to do big numbers for a Pirates of the Caribbean comic, or has that ship sailed, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Can Disney / Marvel figure out how to do big numbers for a Pirates of the Caribbean comic, or has that ship sailed, so to speak.
    That franchise not quite catching on for boys the way Disney Princesses has for girls is what I believe led to Disney deciding to acquire Marvel, and then ultimately Star Wars. So yeah, I think that ship has sailed.

As for the high numbers, that's good they've sold so many, as long as they have realistic expectations moving forward. As everyone has said, the hype for the new movies combined with the Disney machine pushing the marketing of it is a big deal.

I personally skipped out on it. At this point, I've spent about all I care to on Star Wars. I'll check out the new movies when they come out, but I don't need to see anything else about Luke and Han and so on.

I've heard it said that comic sales are driven by three things: Characters, Creators and Concept.

The characters haven't been more popular, especially with the buzz about the sequel.

The creative teams are impressive, and that suggests that Marvel's taking this seriously. It was a big deal two years back when Brian Wood launched a Dark Horse Star Wars monthly, but his artist was less known.

Branding, and the news that this is canon, suggest that these are adventures that matter, and relatively accessible to people who may have seen the movies a few times but are unaware of the expanded universe.

There's more to it, with the numerous variant cover promotions, but it wouldn't have been as big if the other parts weren't done as effectively.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Some sort of loot crate deal the same as Rocket Raccoon.

Marvel knows how to work the numbers to make it seem like there's a big deal.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Star Wars is a really popular collectible. Sorry I'm confused by the question here, it shouldn't be surprising to see any SW memorabilia sell well of it's own right. Look at Lego SW stuff for example. I think it's common sense to know the Star Wars end of things pushes that monster more than the LEGO end does. As to what the SW+Marvel end of things holds I really never researched that and wouldn't know. I do know when I auctioned the old run myself the numbers I pulled in far exceeded my asking prices and expectations so there's probably a niche there.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Judging by the reviews it seems like it could stay a top seller (top 5-10) not saying seven digits numbers but the reviews are good and people seems to be interested in the story. The book seems to have quality to it regardless of how many variants it was released in.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Oh and not to mention, its not like its covering some time period we've never seen, or showing brand new characters. I'm not complaining, I love me some SW, but I was just curious why this was such a hit compared to when Dark Horse was publishing them?
    That probably works in their favour, not having to use the clusterpoop that was the EU.

BANNED

I figure sales figures are like political polls: we probably never get the real numbers.