Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I figure sales figures are like political polls: we probably never get the real numbers.
    This has been stated any number of times, from the publishers and creators themselves, even.

The fact that Star Wars sold a lot of comics tho', is a definitive fact. Even if you do some quick mathematics, cutting the run down to 1/5th of the reported number, that still means it's EASILY a top 5 book. No matter how you look at it, no matter how you try to pervert or take away the achievement from everyone involved, it's still a damn good book which sold a whole damn many issues.

Btw, I realize I'm coming off kind of hard here, but I just can't help it. It's not aimed at you personally, but everyone that keeps questioning the sales-figures of actual GOOD product! Yeah, it's not accurate, and there are cheats, but for goodness sake! These comics still sell well. This always happens whenever a MARVEL -book sells well - never when an Indie or DC book does the same.

I just don't see why it's necessary to be so god-damn negative all the time. This is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    This always happens whenever a MARVEL -book sells well - never when an Indie or DC book does the same.
    Indie books usually don't come in multiple covers. DC get just as much criticism for their variant covers as Marvel do. When DC did their 52 covers of Justice league the criticism was there. Nobody is after Marvel more than DC or vice versa.

BANNED

I agree, for marvel it is a good thing and for a change they didn't have have to shred a character to do it. But for me sales figures don't really matter. As I think I've stated in other threads sales figures should not matter to the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    This has been stated any number of times, from the publishers and creators themselves, even.

The fact that Star Wars sold a lot of comics tho', is a definitive fact. Even if you do some quick mathematics, cutting the run down to 1/5th of the reported number, that still means it's EASILY a top 5 book. No matter how you look at it, no matter how you try to pervert or take away the achievement from everyone involved, it's still a damn good book which sold a whole damn many issues.

Btw, I realize I'm coming off kind of hard here, but I just can't help it. It's not aimed at you personally, but everyone that keeps questioning the sales-figures of actual GOOD product! Yeah, it's not accurate, and there are cheats, but for goodness sake! These comics still sell well. This always happens whenever a MARVEL -book sells well - never when an Indie or DC book does the same.

I just don't see why it's necessary to be so god-damn negative all the time. This is a good thing!

I think some of this might have to do with the comics being some of the first 'NuEU' canon coming out. So Star Wars fans who might not be picking up comics otherwise, are picking up this stuff.

Mighty Member

Political polls are actually pretty accurate, if you look at the right ones. Paying attention to polls made Nate Silver's career.

It's not like the comics will be undone when episode 7 comes out anyways...

BANNED

To many, Marvel is comics. Star Wars being published by them is just righting the universe.

Let's just wait and see. The sales figures from issues 4-6 will be much more informative.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I think some of this might have to do with the comics being some of the first 'NuEU' canon coming out. So Star Wars fans who might not be picking up comics otherwise, are picking up this stuff.
    That's a big part of it.

Star Wars has a pretty huge fanbase outside of maintstream comics.

I expect the book to be selling far above the Dark Horse series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's a big part of it.

Star Wars has a pretty huge fanbase outside of maintstream comics.

I expect the book to be selling far above the Dark Horse series.
    With ease.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    With ease.
    Although the Dark Horse Series was really well done. I'm just hoping that parts of the Old EU stay in, like various Jedi and antagonists that were actually really cool: Mara Jade, Kyp Durran, Thrawn, etc.

Amazing Member

I think the book is successful mostly because it's a canonical story tied into the film.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

It obviously help that new movies are on the way and people are more excited about SW than they have been for a while. Marvel capitalised by putting top talent on the books, pursuing alternative distribution channels such as Loot Crate and creating a lot of hype.

Will they maintain such high figures? I doubt it, but even with a substantial drop they should be in a healthy position due to such a high starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Indie books usually don't come in multiple covers. DC get just as much criticism for their variant covers as Marvel do. When DC did their 52 covers of Justice league the criticism was there. Nobody is after Marvel more than DC or vice versa.
    I don't get criticism about variants. They're just a fun little thing which people are free to pursue if they want.

It's hitting at the right time, with interest in Star Wars at a high level. It's a back-to-basics, fresh start approach focusing on the core movie cast. It's being released with a lot of promotion, including variants. It's coming from a higher profile publisher, capable of making a bigger splash. It features a hotter creative team. It's being distributed through more channels, such as Loot Crate and Comixology.

Really, it's not surprising.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I don't get criticism about variants. They're just a fun little thing which people are free to pursue if they want.
    It's cheating, maaaan! They're trying to trick us, duuuuude! Somethingsomething '90s!