Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Multiversity: Mastermen, #1

Grant Morrison delivers an accessible entry to his event in the excellent "The Multiversity: Mastermen" #1, while Jim Lee provides disturbing imagery of a defeated America and an uncomfortable but conflicted Nazi incarnation of Superman.

Full review here.

Personally of all the misses in Multiversity, this feels like the biggest. The art is made inconsistent by all the inkers, no one gets any characterization (flash card attempts at it in the caption boxes alone means laziness, not depth), and I feel like I'm supposed to see Overman as the traitor but there's no story meat to back that up. Plus, was I the only one who turned the page to find the house ads and wonder where the real last page of the story was? Like the art, the story felt unfinished...

Fantastic Member

From the point of view of someone who's not American, this was kinda disgusting. It shows a god being defeated out of nothing by a band of misfits just because they're America, so of course they are superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    From the point of view of someone who's not American, this was kinda disgusting. It shows a god being defeated out of nothing by a band of misfits just because they're America, so of course they are superior.
    Read it again and look at the background.

Extraordinary Member

...that is not what happened...

Amazing Member

More than any of all the issues so far, this one really made me wish it was an ongoing! Loving this series
    "So we stole a painting. So we turned a policeman into a toilet. Worse things happen every day in El Salvador." - Mr. Nobody, Doom Patrol Vol 2 #29

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Read it again and look at the background.
    Don't understand
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    Personally of all the misses in Multiversity, this feels like the biggest. The art is made inconsistent by all the inkers, no one gets any characterization (flash card attempts at it in the caption boxes alone means laziness, not depth), and I feel like I'm supposed to see Overman as the traitor but there's no story meat to back that up. Plus, was I the only one who turned the page to find the house ads and wonder where the real last page of the story was? Like the art, the story felt unfinished...
    I think they have done this on purpose so that it would have a retro feel with a simplistic vibe.

God was not defeated, he was the traitor and allowed all of these things to happen on purpose. And Americans are basically shown as muslim terrorists so I don't see how you'd see them as superior to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    Don't understand
    Look at the circumstances that lead up to Superman's actions.

That's all you had to say.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol