Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I still believe that some people voice criticism as a language for enjoyment. Like in some cases they really believe in the skill of the artist and make note every time they miss a beat as opposed to trying to point out that their actually rubbish or something. Also some people just enjoy geeking about the most screwy thing that happens in entertainment. What will X-Men do without Bendis when you think about how many people go out of their way to read each issue and freak about what happens? Like think of the stars in Hollywood and the music industry that are explosively popular due to notoriety. Maybe people just have a different way of relating to the world and still everyone has a different rhythm they flow to. Not everyone is a Mozart person. Some like dirty pop, some like metal, some like Weird Al and so on. I just have a hard time believing interest in any sort of thing and the way various people feel about translates into such a black and white picture of like/dislike. The evidence is the fact that either or still reads and has opinions about the art in the first place. Generally speaking when an individual doesn't actually like the way something makes them feel they actually avoid it if not by nature then by conscious choice. Like you wouldn't loathe cabbage but continue to eat and explain what's flawed about it to everyone at the dinner table. I was trying to explain something of this nature to Wacker the other day here. We all just translate differently and more so when it comes from the heart. In short just because a person doesn't say " it's fantastic! " doesn't actually mean they have no love for the craft nor it's craftpersons.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    I still believe that some people voice criticism as a language for enjoyment. Like in some cases they really believe in the skill of the artist and make note every time they miss a beat as opposed to trying to point out that their actually rubbish or something. Also some people just enjoy geeking about the most screwy thing that happens in entertainment. What will X-Men do without Bendis when you think about how many people go out of their way to read each issue and freak about what happens? Like think of the stars in Hollywood and the music industry that are explosively popular due to notoriety. Maybe people just have a different way of relating to the world and still everyone has a different rhythm they flow to. Not everyone is a Mozart person. Some like dirty pop, some like metal, some like Weird Al and so on. I just have a hard time believing interest in any sort of thing and the way various people feel about translates into such a black and white picture of like/dislike. The evidence is the fact that either or still reads and has opinions about the art in the first place. Generally speaking when an individual doesn't actually like the way something makes them feel they actually avoid it if not by nature then by conscious choice. Like you wouldn't loathe cabbage but continue to eat and explain what's flawed about it to everyone at the dinner table. I was trying to explain something of this nature to Wacker the other day here. We all just translate differently and more so when it comes from the heart. In short just because a person doesn't say " it's fantastic! " doesn't actually mean they have no love for the craft nor it's craftpersons.

yeah i think someone else mentioned “angry money” (visuals by wolfie and c-hubbs) which seems to be the coin of choice for masochistic comic readers everywhere. on some level all the things they complain about likely gets them happy- hits those little satisfaction centres in the brain with a zing- the fingers twitch and throb and the keyboards get clacking in an ecstatic release.

for some.

me though? i hate bananas but eat one every day. go figure.

Fantastic Member

Slott has

Been on the book for almost a decade
    Been part of a team and solo writer
    Written two anniversary issues
    Replaced and returned the hero
    Written an issue one
    Written the book through two movies
    Had several sell out issues including one of the top selling issues ever
    Written his own origin series
    And it looks like he will be the guy to end Peter's story too after secret wars

Written his own video game script and had toys based on his run
    I think he will always be remembered for being the luckiest guy to write Spider-Man just because hee got to write so many milestones, but he wouldn't have gotten to do that if not for his skills. He is a real inspiration and a gentleman who always has time for his fans. To see a fellow fanboy rise to such heights makes me very happy.

I think what Slott need a now is a graceful exit from the books. Once secret wars is over, I think he should give the reins to someone else and now out as one of the greats.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    me though? i hate bananas but eat one every day. go figure.
    Milled Flax seed in whatever juice mix I choose in a vain attempt to cover up the after taste and only fail. Doctors orders though so not really a sought out affliction. I've decided my doctor is trying to humble me.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Fantastic Member

I will say slotts run does not hold up as well as other recent long runs such as Morrison's Batman, John's Green Lantern or Brubakers Captain America. It just seemed more gimmicky, too many teams ups and lacked any hard emotional drama or significant character development that defined the other runs. Who can forget Madam Webb constantly showing up in the middle of a fight scene to promote the next "big" event. I think Superior was a step up from Big Time, but spider verse is a return to form in a way. Flashy, fun event that's lacking in substance

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Well, the court of public opinion is a funny thing: one of the reasons Led Zeppelin remains such a mythical and, in many ways, untouchable rock band is that they called it a day in 1980 after just 7 albums. Conversely, The Who and The Rolling Stones (their closest peers) have continued to trudge on releasing albums of largely diminishing quality for the last 35-40 years whereas one could argue that they would be held up in even higher regard had they called it quits after, say, "Who Are You" for The Who and "Tattoo You" for The Rolling Stones. Now, both "Who's Next" and "Let It Bleed" remain 5-star albums despite the largely forgettable albums that both bands released post-1980 or so; but my point is that their overall reputation as a band(s) was undoubtedly tarnished by trudging on whereas a band like Zeppelin enjoyed having their magical era encased in amber in a sense by calling it quits after their drummer John Bonham died.

That may be a long-winded and meandering metaphor but I hope you see my point.
    I get your point, but the flaw here (I think) is the question "why do you make music/write comics"? I may be naive now, but I hope most creative people do their stuff because the like it, not with the goal to be legendary. Led Zeppelin could surely have gone on with another drummer (although Bonham was a great one), but I don't think the other guys saw the point of going on, really. Kind of the same thing as John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page wanting to do a tour but Robert Plant wanting to focus on his other projects; I think he enjoys them far more.

So while I can't say I like Dan Slott's Spidey run as much as I love Led Zeppelin (I'm trying to find a bombastic and uneven band with high tops but also some bottoms to compare to Slott), I guess what I'm saying is that legacy shouldn't be(and probably isn't) the priority. As long as Slott loves working on Spidey, and it sells, I guess. How are the sales for the relaunched ASM?

Spectacular Member

Here's a nonartistic opinion: I think Slott should write the book for as long as he can. Slott is a forty something year old guy who has had some health problems. He's been writing comics with only modest sales successes until he took over Spider-man. At this point, he is selling more comics than just about anybody but Snyder. He needs to hang on to the book until they force him off. He's not Morrison, he's not Johns, he's not Snyder, he's not Rucka, he's not someone you follow to his new independent book. He's a more talented and creative Mantlo or Michelinie. THis is his big payday and he needs to grab with both fists

I haven't read Spider verse yet, but I think he's writing just as well as he always has. I'm looking forward to Spider-verse. Just hope that one of his big epics that starts out so well doesn't always end with a meh from me.
    trying to be nicer

Ultimate Member

Slott shouldn't leave yet.

Count me as one of those that have been enjoying his work for a while now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The relaunch while not perfect, wasn't exactly terrible. The relaunch gave an awkward introduction Silk and threw Black cat under the bus to get the plot moving. Spiderverse also wasn't as good as it should've been, with Peter having defeated an inheritor but in terms of being useful to the plot more important and in some cases more interesting things happend in the tie-ins.

Slott is a decent writer. He is just bad at making endings for his stories. Spiderverse, superior, etc. He doesn't need to go but he needs to really workout his beginnings middle and ends for his stories.
    Maybe it might had been better for Dan Slott to write the ending to his stories first before doing the beginning and the middle parts to the stories.

Mighty Member

Good perspective, Dr. Jay. Slott's name, despite the smashing Spider-Man success, isn't exactly lighting the sales of Silver Surfer on fire. Get while the getting's good.

Wait, Slott has had health issues?

BANNED

I think Slott's legacy as a great writer of Spidey is assured, unless he has something coming down the line that absolutely destroys his credibility with the fans, and I'm talking about something like killing off MJ or turning Pete into a psycho, not just disagreeing about what he's doing to the Black Cat (Hate it). The re-launch in my opinion has been overall, weak, but remember that Stan Lee, who wrote the Master Planner arc in ASM also created the Kangaroo. Slott still has time to turn it around. Maybe he even HAS to wait to really get back into Spidey story wise until after Secret Wars hits because of issues that arc may present to the character.

Spectacular Member

Actually 'In Through The Out Door'is not such a bad Album ( 'In The Evening' is one of my favorites). ''Coda'(except 'Darlene' ) and 'Presence' were their worst. That said, the Zeppelin comparison is fair ( although very few comics (ASM # 121-122, 'Kraven's Last Hunt'' and a couple of others should be mentioned in the same breath as 'Physical Grafitti', 'Houses Of The Holy' Zofo/Zeppelin 4 or Zeppelin 2). As for DS I hope RYV is his "Swan Song" ( speaking of Zeppelin), and we get a happy ending for Peter and MJ? It had been my opinion for quite some time that he is tired of Pete ( Silver Surfer has been a better book), and maybe doing the FF instead (I bet he could write a bad AZZ version of Dr. Doom), with the cosmic elements, might get his creative juices flowing.

BANNED

For better or for worse, I think it's just that Wacker "suited" Slott more as an editor, unlike Lowe. That isn't meant to knock Lowe, but out of respect for oldschool, I'll hold refrain from criticizing Slott and Wacker as I would. From what I understand, the transition from Wacker and Lowe happened in the middle of Goblin Nation, which I guess would explain the dissatisfaction with the storyline. Maybe things got sorted out, but I think I should ask if Lowe replacing Wacker is what's considered the problem here.

Just for speculation, then. If Slott was to end his Spidey run, what would you like to see him do? As another poster said, I can't see him doing his own stuff at Image or something like that either. I could see him doing the Fantastic Four, if they would get their own comic again.