Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's a bit subjective. My impression is that the Stones rate higher than Led Zeppelin. And I have tickets to see The Who in May.

Personally, I don't like the idea that someone's reputation would be better if they had stopped making work. James Dean isn't a better actor because he died before he could make a crappy movie.
    Bendis quit while he was ahead on Daredevil.

Had he left Avengers after Seige ended, he'd of been 2 for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Bendis quit while he was ahead on Daredevil.

Had he left Avengers after Seige ended, he'd of been 2 for 2.
    Not really. I don't think Golden Age and Decalogue was as good as his other DD stories, in my opinion.

BANNED

Bendis at least stopped with AvX because he could recognize that AvX marked an ending for the series of story arcs he had been telling since Disassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    So, with all that in mind, I ask: Should Slott have perhaps bowed out after Superior? After all, it seems that once he started writing Silver Surfer, his ASM work started to falter to the point where even ardents supporters of his started to question how much he has left in the tank. Thoughts?

Oddly enough I was thinking the exact same thing. Really though I think Wacker was just an excellent editor, you can see most of the books he worked on has not been as good since he left. Slott may just be a victim of bad timing, Superior has to end in time for the ASM2 movie, but in a few months Hickman is going to blow up the multiverse so he needed to rush into the Spiderverse story.

Personally I don't think we have seem much of Peter Parker for over two years now and I miss the character. Its been Otto, then Silk, then everybody. I read Spider-Man for Peter Parker, and even though he is back, he has been gone.

Brubaker's run on Cap was legendary, but he should have left the title after his Buckey as Cap story ended. When Cap relaunched with the "Bravo" arc it felt like Bru had overstayed his welcome. I put Slott in the the same category. There's no way he can reach the height of Superior Spider-Man again, anything he does now (eg. Spider-Verse) will be a let down.
    I agree on all of this and BruBaker's run on Cap is an excellent example. I did feel that Bravo was very poor, loved Brubaker getting Baron Zemo back to the villain I know and love but the rest of the story was: "Oh not the: 'America has lost its way' again! villain" Since Ends of the Earth it has felt Slott enjoys more of the "events" then regular titles. Plus, it seems things are set up to fail, even when Horizon Labs ended after the Spider-Man 2099 story and it was built up for so long. I felt like it was rushed and very stupid how things ended with the Labs. Now, with Parker Industries on the clups of ending do to Sanjai trying to sabotage the company because: "Peter doesn't know how to run a company." I think I know how the Ghost ends up fitting into all of this. What's worst is it shows the Peter is trying to avoid running the company to be Spider-Man. This isn't Peter Parker and the truth is, Slott hasn't been writing Peter Parker for really 2 years. He had over a year of Superior. Since returning, Peter hasn't been the star of his own book, its been Silk, the Avengers and *insert Spider-verse character here*. I can see the drive and passion in Silver Surfer and its a fun book. That shows why Slott is a good writer but now, its time to take your bow, put your toys away and exit with some grace.
    Green Lantern towards the last year was faltering a bit but Johns knew he had reached his end point, finished his arcs and stepped away. Brubaker did the same with Cap and Waid did with Flash and now coming up with Daredevil. Secret Wars and whatever is the new MU come September is a perfect time to move on to a new era. Not do the 99 reboot with the same writer who had been writing the book for almost a decade again and show how burned out they really are.
    Mooper Films

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    Wait, Slott has had health issues?
    Yeah, I haven't heard anything like that either. I think the OP must be mistaken; the only writer/artist I have heard about recently that had any issues was Peter David who suffered a stroke a year or two back and, thankfully, he appears to be fine and is working steadily. I have heard nothing about any health problem with Slott and I certainly hope that continues to be the case.

Wait, Slott has had health issues?
    He had a bad cold a few years back but that's the only thing I'm aware of. It's probably best not to speculate on a guy's physical health. I don't want him to get phone calls from worried relatives.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It's been a great run. I think Slott's run will be remembered very fondly, and something to be recommended when people ask for Spider-Man comics to read. I want to see Brand New Day in complete collection volumes so it's easier to read in trades, like Big Time. Maybe a BND omnibus? Really it's only Slott's issues that I mostly want, without having to buy a lot of books.

But I also feel like he should maybe wrap things up. Amazing Spider-Man #25 might be a nice place for the next writer to start. But who should that next writer be? Matt Fraction strikes me as someone with Spider-Man stories to tell. And if he teamed with David Aja, oh my... !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderllama View Post
    It's been a great run. I think Slott's run will be remembered very fondly, and something to be recommended when people ask for Spider-Man comics to read. I want to see Brand New Day in complete collection volumes so it's easier to read in trades, like Big Time. Maybe a BND omnibus? Really it's only Slott's issues that I mostly want, without having to buy a lot of books.

But I also feel like he should maybe wrap things up. Amazing Spider-Man #25 might be a nice place for the next writer to start. But who should that next writer be? Matt Fraction strikes me as someone with Spider-Man stories to tell. And if he teamed with David Aja, oh my... !
    Oh My Indeed! As in, "Oh My---we only get 4 issues of ASM this year; but they sure are pretty!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He had a bad cold a few years back but that's the only thing I'm aware of. It's probably best not to speculate on a guy's physical health. I don't want him to get phone calls from worried relatives.
    Yeah, I haven't heard about any health problems either...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    People like Knightfall? I'm not being sarcastic, I've honestly never heard that.

I liked Superior well enough. I get the idea of contrast and all that. But 31 issues is way too long to do it.
    I've found that most people that I talk to like the first part of Knightfall. Basically Bane's big plan playing out, and his "breaking" of Batman. And quite a few people seem to like Az-bats. The rest of it however, eh.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderllama View Post
    Disagree about Aja. Wouldn't mind Fraction having a go if he was still on Marvel but I'd prefer someone like Christos Gage personally speaking as writer, as for art I'd love Steve McNiven or Ed McGuinness if not Sara Pichelli or David Marquez.

I'm ready for someone different. A new writer and artist team would be great. With Mark Waid and Chris Samnee leaving daredevil I would love to see them come over and take the title over.

I always thought Fraction was overrated. His X-Men run wasn't good, and Fear itself wasn't impressive either. I tried to get into Hawkeye, but I think it was trying to hard. Kind of hipster. So no thanks, not Fraction in Spider-Man. I'd prefer to see more of Slott then.

I always thought Fraction was overrated. His X-Men run wasn't good, and Fear itself wasn't impressive either. I tried to get into Hawkeye, but I think it was trying to hard. Kind of hipster. So no thanks, not Fraction in Spider-Man. I'd prefer to see more of Slott then.
    People are saying Fraction because they liked the "To Have And To Hold" story from just before One More Day.