Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I can't wait for this issue!

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    I can't wait for this issue!
    Trust me, you have every reason to be excited. I'm writing my advance review now.

By the way, just be careful reading some of those advance reviews out there. Some people are way too liberal with spoilers and the images they choose to show.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Man, that preview was great

Super unfair that we have to wait. I wish I was a reviewer.

It sounds like Aug and Sept are going to be epic for Hellboy in Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Super unfair that we have to wait. I wish I was a reviewer.
    Heh . Not really 'though (!?).

There is no actual 'wait' to speak of, since any product has to get made and get sold before it can be anything. Easy or fair enough to wait for that I'd reckon'? Also since August or September will be just around the corner, I promise .

But apparently comics need to get sold with drumming up enough anticipation or attention in order for getting sold soon or quantatively enough, which I gather would be why reviewers would be needed in the first place.

Maybe it would be nice to be a reviewer but also it would be a task in itself. Needing consideration and what not?
    Especially reviewing what stuff you'd feel to care for?

I'm glad for anyone able to, although I'd be strict and testy where reviews would be concerned, at least over what stuff I'd feel to care for and even more especially for any reviews as being from my own hand!

So I personally wouldn't call it unfair having to 'wait'. Or any of my not being a reviewer. Since it may not prove easier or more fair all that much should I be one, since, well, since I'm not. And in my not being a reviewer, at least I may enjoy the luxury of being that, having just my reading to do as how I'd see fit.

Not saying I wouldn't ever want to be a reviewer, but I'm sure such would prove to be a task to perform in its own right, moreso than any kind of a privilege.

One time I was let in on doing an advance reading of something. Which felt magical. They sollicited if anyone wanted to and I replied. It was sort of the same as usual, only a couple of weeks in advance. Nothing unfair in such I'd think.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I wasn't being serious that it's actually unfair. I just wish I got to read it already because there is not much better than new Mignola drawn Hellboy, and this cover and preview pages are so great that I'm very excited to read these issues.

I'd also happily write a spoiler free review in trade for reading it early, if that's what is asked in turn for the early read. But that's not my job so I will have to wait a little longer. All good things to those who wait, I suppose.

kenbastard

In the Dark Horse previews some of those pages appear to be colored by Mike himself, they look very much like his watercolor work. Any info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by kenbastard View Post
    In the Dark Horse previews some of those pages appear to be colored by Mike himself, they look very much like his watercolor work. Any info on this?
    That is true, it was mentioned in an interview on Bleeding Cool:

"It Was The Scariest Thing I’ve Ever Done" – Mike Mignola On ‘The Hounds of Pluto’
    Last edited by topfueluhl; 08-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbastard View Post
    That is true, it was mentioned in an interview on Bleeding Cool:

"It Was The Scariest Thing I’ve Ever Done" – Mike Mignola On ‘The Hounds of Pluto’
    The interview implies (by my reading) it is still Dave Stewart doing the coloring - as usual under the guidance of Mike Mignola - although with even less to go on than usual!

These watercolorlike pages don't seem totally new 'though, since in B.P.R.D.: the King of Fear #4 there'd be the two pages by mr Mike and Dave featuring Hellboy in a similar watercolor-like fashion.

Plus Hellboy: the Midnight Circus conveys a similar approach to the Stewart-colored inkwashes of Duncan Fegredo. Next to a fine watercolorlike Balimore cover by Ben Stenbeck, as yet escaping my collection.

Awesome stuff, as much as mr Mike's own watercolor covers would be. From the Baltimore novel or Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism. Or Corum: the Prince With the Silver Hand book cover.
    To the various late eighties & nineties comics or occasional trading cards (Topps Universal Monsters: Bride of Frankenstein), potentially in collaboration with such watercolor buffs as Mark Badger, Mark Chiarello, Matt Hollingsworth, Sherilyn van Valkenburgh, David Hornung or Richmond Lewis.
    The latter of which as featuring in Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution - as proving a pioneering "Blueline" printing approach in a watercolor-like or gouache type fashion rather distinctly!

Marvel Epic's Clive Barker's Hellraiser Anthology bookline also presented seemingly actual(?) watercolored comics art, notably by Mike Mignola, such as the lush Nightbreed Genesis TPB cover. But Dark Horse contended since the early '90s as well, for instance this Cheval Noir 12 by mr Mike Mignola (coloured by I don't know who):

Last edited by Kees_L; 08-09-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling "gouache" correctly. So blame it on the French this time.

Those pages are definitely still coloured by Dave Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Those pages are definitely still coloured by Dave Stewart.
    I am very curious to see what the uncolored pages look like that make them so different.

I am very curious to see what the uncolored pages look like that make them so different.
    Less ink I would presume. Whereas I'm guessing the digital coloring would exist in digital only.

As far as Mignola original art I've heard of two pieces being actual full watercolor paintings, being a Hellraiser pin-up both as the cover to Wolverine: the Jungle Adventure.
    Of which the latter is featured at comicartfans.com:

A key difference between digital and non-digital watercolor paintings would obviously be that watercolors are done onto and over the original pencils. Potentially as done by either the artist or a chosen colorist.

Or either they would be watercolor-like pages made by the "Blueline" process of prints made for adding colors onto, over which any inks or lines or lettering would come to exist as separate overlays. For rendering a semi-digital endproduct per page I'd suppose.
    Of which this would be an example:

Ironwolf splash() page http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=621540;
    (detail) http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=768078;

I would assume that there would exist more such actual watercolors, such as the Hellboy Lithograph original or the Hellboy Library Edition spot covers but I can't be sure. Plus I'd be inclined to wish to know who the colorist would be, whereas if such wouldn't be specified I'd hesitate to simply assume there wouldn't be a third-party colorist involved.

But since so many Mignola pieces seem actual watercolors or full colour inkwashes, I would think it likely that mr Mike works in full colour on occasion - and if so he surely wouldn't be doing such digitally I would presume.

I think to have seen the cover to the Doors guy his novel as being a full watercolor as done by mr Mike all himself. But I'm not 100% sure he did, however should ever the opportunity arise for inquiring after such, I would.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-11-2015 at 09:59 AM.