Page 1 of 1875 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast

Lightbulb DC Extended Universe (POST NO SPOILERS HERE!)

Hey Guys,

So, let's talk about DCEU, shall we?

DC Extended Universe Slate

RELEASED

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice[March 2016]

Director: Zack Snyder
    Writers: Chris Terrio & David Goyer

Suicide Squad[August 2016]

Director: David Ayer
    Writers: David Ayer & John Ostrander

Wonder Woman[June 2017]
    Director: Patty Jenkins

Justice League[November 2017]

Director: Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon
    Screenplay: Chris Terrio

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING SOON

Aquaman[2018]

Director: James Wan
    Writer: Will Beall

Shazam[2019]
    Director: David F. Sanberg
    Writer: Darren Lenke

Wonder Woman 2[2019]

Batgirl

Green Lantern Corps

Batman
    Director: Matt Reeves
    Writer: Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns

Vertigo/New Line Universe Slate

Sandman
    Last edited by Triple J; 06-11-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: updates..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Hey Guys,

So, let's talk about DCU, shall we?

What we know so far:

SvB or BvS or MOS2 coming out in 2016
    SvB - Superman, Batman, WW, Cyborg (cameo), Lex Luthor, Alfred, and a lot of other characters (Holly Hunter, Callan Mulley and Tao Okamoto - characters not confirmed).
    JL movie announced, most likely in 2017 or '18.
    9 other films in development - Shazam, Metal Men, 100 Bullets, and Fables
    Lot of TV shows - Flash, Gotham, Constantine, Preacher, iZombie and a lot others!

Rumors/Reports:

More films announcements @ SDCC 2014

Questions:

Do you think DC should just focus on TV shows? (They are doing great with Arrow)

Do you want DC to connect everything (like another studio we know)...by everything, I mean movies and tv shows.

Or

Would you prefer DC's approach on encouraging different (and maybe even contradictory) Universes?

As much as I like an interconnected Universe, I think I might like the idea of different universes even better. Sure, it may seem like that it would confuse the general audience, but as long as they have different tones, they will be fine.

Plus, trying to connect everything is even more work to the writers and creative teams behind these shows and movies (Let them focus their attention to writing solid stories, instead of worrying about continuity).

And, I would love love to see the contradictory takes on different characters: Shazam for instance.

We could have a more realistic Shazam (or Cap. Marvel) in MOS universe, while a fun, light and more 'magical' Shazam in another Universe?

Who all (Heroes and Villains) do you want to see in JL movies?

Apart from WW, which DC heroes deserve a movie the most, and how would you like them to develop it? Would you want a realistic (and maybe darker) take? Or try to keep the more fantastical elements of each character?
    If they are going to do the alternate universe, they should have an Earth 2/JSA movie. I personally want a Titans movie about the original five Titans but that will never happen because of the Nu52.

I love Arrow but I highly doubt they will be connected, DC struck gold with Arrow and they haven't been able to do that with anything since Young Justice was still on air.
    DC should keep expanding their Arrowverse with characters that DC wouldn't use for their own movies.

Characters I want would be the Bat-Family mainly Dick Grayson (rocking the blue costume like he should), I want Tim as Robin and I want him to be likable again unlike his Nu52 counterpart. I would like the main Justice league team to be Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.( Though its going to be Cyborg instead) It would be cool if DC had two different Leagues like the normal JL and JLA. Though I don't want the same roster as JLA. If the JLA could get their own movie I would want Green Arrow, Star Girl, Martian Manhunter, Guy Gardner, Black Canary, Booster Gold, and Blue Beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    If they are going to do the alternate universe, they should have an Earth 2/JSA movie. I personally want a Titans movie about the original five Titans but that will never happen because of the Nu52.

I love Arrow but I highly doubt they will be connected, DC struck gold with Arrow and they haven't been able to do that with anything since Young Justice was still on air.
    DC should keep expanding their Arrowverse with characters that DC wouldn't use for their own movies.

Characters I want would be the Bat-Family mainly Dick Grayson (rocking the blue costume like he should), I want Tim as Robin and I want him to be likable again unlike his Nu52 counterpart. I would like the main Justice league team to be Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.( Though its going to be Cyborg instead) It would be cool if DC had two different Leagues like the normal JL and JLA. Though I don't want the same roster as JLA. If the JLA could get their own movie I would want Green Arrow, Star Girl, Martian Manhunter, Guy Gardner, Black Canary, Booster Gold, and Blue Beetle.
    They could still do a Teen titans movie (Tim Drake and all...would be weird to have the 'original team titans' in a movie without Cyborg).

JSA is possible (You mean the classic, or new 52 JSA?). I do like the new 52 JSA (apart from them focusing on New Batman and Superman..but that's going to change with the weekly series; the monthly series is going to focus on the other members, like it was earlier).

Classic is awesome too....fun and lighter elements for Earth 2

I agree with you on that...I am glad that they decided to develop it and spinoff a Flash series (we might even get some other tv shows spinning off of Flash, if it ends up being a good show).

Yeah, they could introduce NW and Robin in a Batman (prequel?), after the first JL movie.

Love that..just like in New 52, except for a few team changes.

JL forms up...but at the same time, Waller forms her own team - JLA (with MM being the leader ).

They could still do a Teen titans movie (Tim Drake and all...would be weird to have the 'original team titans' in a movie without Cyborg).

JSA is possible (You mean the classic, or new 52 JSA?). I do like the new 52 JSA (apart from them focusing on New Batman and Superman..but that's going to change with the weekly series; the monthly series is going to focus on the other members, like it was earlier).

Classic is awesome too....fun and lighter elements for Earth 2

I agree with you on that...I am glad that they decided to develop it and spinoff a Flash series (we might even get some other tv shows spinning off of Flash, if it ends up being a good show).

Yeah, they could introduce NW and Robin in a Batman (prequel?), after the first JL movie.

Love that..just like in New 52, except for a few team changes.

JL forms up...but at the same time, Waller forms her own team - JLA (with MM being the leader ).
    When I said Earth 2/JSA it means the Nu52 version. Cyborg was never an original Titan. When I say original I mean Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, Wally West, Garth, and Roy Harper. I never liked Geoff Johns Titans which is mainly Tim and his generation. Also the Nu52 Titans book is hands down worst series I have ever read.

I would like NW to have his own movie since he is my favorite character. I dont want Cyborg as a founding member of JL, but if they wanted him to be a leaguer they could just have him be on the JLA instead.

I liked that the JLA was a government team but I don't like that it was mainly controlled by Waller it felt to Suicide Squad to me. Though I do want a Suicide Squad movie, DC has been pushing them out more and more into mainstream. Plus I think they actually have script for it.

Lets make this a thread about positivity!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

When I said Earth 2/JSA it means the Nu52 version. Cyborg was never an original Titan. When I say original I mean Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, Wally West, Garth, and Roy Harper. I never liked Geoff Johns Titans which is mainly Tim and his generation. Also the Nu52 Titans book is hands down worst series I have ever read.

I would like NW to have his own movie since he is my favorite character. I dont want Cyborg as a founding member of JL, but if they wanted him to be a leaguer they could just have him be on the JLA instead.

I liked that the JLA was a government team but I don't like that it was mainly controlled by Waller it felt to Suicide Squad to me. Though I do want a Suicide Squad movie, DC has been pushing them out more and more into mainstream. Plus I think they actually have script for it.

Still, at least in the mind of us older readers, Cyborg is synonim of the Titans more than any other character. A Justice League, at least at first, should comprise of the magnificent seven.

Wasn't there rumours of a Suicide Squad spin off from Arrow?

And I can see Pinsir has found a new spirituality with this reboot we just had...

Ah, okay.

Yeah...that and Worlds' Finest.

Hopefully the relaunch will be better

Yeah, it does feel weird to have Cyborg on the main team, but I think they are going to go with it; mirror the new 52 line up.

Don't forget Steve...Waller and Trevor.

Yeah...TV shows, video game and now animated feature. I have heard that...that and rumors about JLD movie (Del Toro did say that he was working on one...haven't heard anything recently).

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Lets make this a thread about positivity!
    Yes ......

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclo__Pills View Post
    Still, at least in the mind of us older readers, Cyborg is synonim of the Titans more than any other character. A Justice League, at least at first, should comprise of the magnificent seven.

Wasn't there rumours of a Suicide Squad spin off from Arrow?

And I can see Pinsir has found a new spirituality with this reboot we just had...
    Well, at least one of the 7 are being replaced..with Cyborg casting.

I think they will include MM (they did have a small Easter egg in MOS), but I am not sure.

Yeah, there were also some rumors about a movie....hopefully we will get either one of those (or maybe even both!).

Arguments (For WB/DC Films)

Why 'Justice League' Cynicism is Wrong and Why the Film will be a Hit?

Highlights:

Can WB/DC build a cinematic Universe?

We can also look at the Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings franchises to see how well Warner Bros. can handle big, expensive, complicated, risky franchise-building involving large casts and interconnected story arcs in films releasing close together (including in back-to-back years). Lots of people questioned the wisdom of those ventures and the investment of hundreds of millions of dollars spent over so many years, but in hindsight it seems like a no-brainer in both cases.

Fans who question the wisdom of Warner investing in two superhero team-up films on this scale of world-building, and trying to do so much so soon so close together, need to keep the success of the above examples in mind — those two franchises together took $10.6 billion worldwide at the box office, and another estimated $4 billion in DVD/Blu-ray/Digital-HD sales and rentals. Then add in all the other merchandising tie-ins, and we’re looking at something probably approaching $20 billion in revenue. So when wondering whether Warner Bros. can handle adapting the DCU to film, don’t make the mistake of thinking this is their first time at the rodeo, dear readers.
    Is WB/DC rushing things?

Fans have bemoaned the lack of a larger cinematic DCU for some time now, and the press has consistently pointed out that Marvel is releasing multiple films every year and building a gigantic live-action comic book world on the big screen while WB/DC haven’t had success with any characters besides Batman and Superman on and off over the last several years. So there’s been a general sense of “hurry up” implicit in much of what the fans and media say for the last many years. Which makes it all the stranger that, when Warner is now working to get their superhero characters into theaters together in a unified setting with plans for multiple projects and characters, the same folks who’ve insisted Warner needed to hurry will likely be shouting “slow down.”
    BvS or SvB or MOS2 Too Crowded?

So, the idea that Warner is crowding their newest superhero film because it features Batman fighting Superman while Wonder Woman has a small role and Victor Stone (aka Cyborg) cameos just doesn’t make much sense. What matters is storytelling, what matters is the quality of the film.

Against WB/DC

Zack Snyder's Justice League Should Wait Until 2018

Highlights:

Putting too much Trust in Snyder?

But if the studio doesn’t go the “stand-alone franchises with periodic team-up film” strategy like Marvel and Walt Disney, then what amounts to the DC Comics franchise, a single franchise closer in concept to the Harry Potter series than the interconnected Marvel Universe, will basically belong to Zack Snyder until he walks away.

That’s a lot of trust in a filmmaker whose last few films prior to Man of Steel (Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians, Sucker Punch) were financial disappointments, and whose Man of Steel wasn’t exactly the critical darling and/or leggy box office smash that Warner hoped it would be ($668m is nothing to sneeze at, but it’s about to get passed by Captain America: The Winter Soldier). Snyder is a dynamite visual stylist and top-notch action director, but it’s surprising to see that Warner is basically entrusting the entire DC Comics universe to a single director with a less-than-sterling box office history with the studio, especially as they are no longer trying to sell the notion that Chris Nolan (whose name was a key part of the Man of Steel marketing campaign) has anything to do with this these films.
    Darkseid Vs Thanos?

There is one risk of waiting until 2018 or later, and that’s the risk of a Justice League presumably centered around Darkseid being overshadowed or beaten to the punch by an Avengers 3 presumably centered around Thanos. But for the sake of breaking the current trend of rushing these franchise films out as fast as humanly possible, I hope Warner Bros. is planning on being patient in terms of slotting Justice League. For the sake of allowing the main actors and Zack Snyder to do things that aren’t DC Comics related over the next ten years, I hope Justice League doesn’t shoot back-to-back with Batman Vs. Superman and doesn’t come out until July 19th, 2018 at the earliest.
    A genuinely good Justice League movie is certainly worth waiting for.

Warner Bros. on a Caped Crusade

More than a decade ago, a young Warner Bros. executive fretted that the studio's DC Comics unit might lose a generation of young fans if it didn't catch up to rival Marvel in the business of making superhero movies.

"We're not going to let that happen," declared Kevin Tsujihara, then-executive vice president of business development, in 2003.

But over the past several years at the box office, DC Comics has fallen even further behind Marvel, now owned by Walt Disney Co.

'It isn't about a single approach to everything,' says DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson, shown at the 'Man Of Steel' world premiere. Invision/Associated Press
    Mr. Tsujihara, meanwhile, rose to become chief executive of Time Warner Inc. Warner Bros. Now, one year into his tenure, he has put a revival of DC in movies, TV and other media at the core of his plans for Hollywood's largest movie studio.

"If you want to know how we are going to grow as a company and what's important to us, DC is at the top of the list," Mr. Tsujihara said.

To that end, Warner Bros. is focusing like never before on a DC movie slate that will lead into "Justice League," an "Avengers" style team-up that will include Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. But the next movie, tentatively titled "Batman vs. Superman," won't come out until 2016. During the interim, Disney will release four new Marvel films.

In the past five years, Disney has released seven Marvel movies, including "Avengers," "Iron Man 3" and the recent hit "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," that have together grossed more than $5.3 billion world-wide. (On Friday, the latest Marvel movie—"The Amazing Spider-Man 2"—comes out, although that is produced by Sony Pictures under a decades-old licensing deal.)

Warner in the past five years released five DC films, among them the flops "Green Lantern" and "Jonah Hex," that grossed a total of just over $2 billion. DC's big-screen success in the past decade has come from Christopher Nolan, who directed the $2.5 billion-grossing "Dark Knight" trilogy and produced last year's hit "Man of Steel."

But the fiercely independent Mr. Nolan didn't work within a larger DC strategy and has declined entreaties to do more superhero movies. Warner has now entrusted its core superheroes to "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder, who will helm "Superman vs. Batman" and then "Justice League." It also has nine other movies based on DC comics in development.

Progress is faster in television, as Warner has produced a record four DC-based pilots for the coming fall season. They include the Batman prequel "Gotham," already ordered to series by the Fox network, and "Flash," a spinoff of the CW Network's superhero hit "Arrow."

Warner is also looking to accelerate the success it has enjoyed using DC characters in direct-to-DVD animation and videogames, businesses in which it faces little competition from Marvel.

Warner Bros. produces more movies and television shows than any other studio. But like its competitors, it faces long-term declines in movie-theater attendance, DVD sales, and broadcast-TV ratings. And with the "Harry Potter" series over and "The Hobbit" trilogy ending this December, finding new blockbuster franchises is critical to the company's future.

Hollywood's advantage in an age when anyone can make a YouTube video is its ability to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on movies or TV shows featuring well-known characters with established fan bases. In success, those often spur sales of toys and other products. With thousands of superheroes along with more offbeat fare from its Vertigo line of fantasy, sci-fi and crime comic books, 90-year-old DC Comics provides Warner rich fodder.

Warner Bros. has struggled, though, to integrate DC into its operations for many years. Over the past decade, the head of DC has reported to four different executives. Although comic-book sales were falling while the value of superheroes in movies and other media skyrocketed, the unit was run by a New York-based publisher.

In 2009, a long-promised revamp began with the appointment of Diane Nelson as president of DC Entertainment, based at the studio's Burbank, Calif., headquarters. A marketing executive with no background in comic books, Ms. Nelson made her name managing the studio's biggest franchise of the prior decade: Harry Potter.

Ms. Nelson first reported to the film chief, one of three internal contenders for the CEO job at Warner Bros. The succession race hampered her efforts to work across divisions led by rival executives, according to people at the company.

Last year, soon after Mr. Tsujihara's promotion, Ms. Nelson began reporting to the CEO for the first time in DC's history.

"Kevin came into a political, complicated company and made clear DC is a priority, and I expect everyone to figure this out together," said Ms. Nelson.

Although she oversees the small but profitable comics business, where digital publishing has become a priority, Ms. Nelson's focus is coordinating a studio-wide DC strategy.

Her approach is the opposite of Marvel, which maintains a continuing narrative and cast of characters across all of its projects. Samuel L. Jackson, for instance, has appeared as superspy Nick Fury in "Avengers," "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and the TV show "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Ms. Nelson has instead encouraged Warner producers to develop diverse and even contradictory takes. The Batman in "Superman vs Batman," to be played by Ben Affleck, will be different from the one in "Gotham" and in coming direct-to-DVD animated movies and videogames. A kid-friendly version of Batman even appeared in February's hit "The Lego Movie."

"It isn't about a single approach to everything," said Ms. Nelson. "It's the right character matched with the right talent in the right medium."

DC's chief content officer, Geoff Johns, is tasked with keeping track of it all. A fan-favorite comic-book writer who is the T-shirt wearing geek to Ms. Nelson's polished corporate player, Mr. Johns consults on scripts, visual designs and even titles across the company.

Colleagues say his approach is less nitpicky than his predecessors', with one recalling the time when DC staffers in New York asked an animation executive to change a script because the villain Man-Bat wouldn't be physically strong enough to carry the Penguin (the Batman foe) on his back.

"The restrictions have been swept aside," said Sam Register, the head of Warner Bros. Animation. "We get less 'You mustn't' and more 'Wouldn't it be great if…?' "

Source: WSJ Online
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

I think they will include MM (they did have a small Easter egg in MOS), but I am not sure.
    Was there?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Was there?
    Yeah,

That seems like Mars to me
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Yeah,

its not much, but it probably was intentional
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Spectacular Member

Yeah,

I guess. It's too vague to say.