Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Anyone here actually believed that movie critics would give fair reviews to "Justice League" and Zack Snyder, just because they were "nice" to "Wonder Woman"? Like, seriously? And now it's going to happen exactly the same thing that happened with "Batman v Superman". Warner Bros will throw Zack under the bus and and let him take the blame for the reviews, even though they were the ones who mutilated his movie in post-production.

You know, after everything Zack and his family went through and all the crap he got from haters, movie critics, bloggers, clickbait sites and even comic creators, I was hoping he could at least close his DCEU trilogy on a high note, with "Justice League" being successful with both general audience and critics. But, by the looks of things, even this will not be possible.
    I think there's a chance the general audience will embrace it. I've written off critics after Thor Ragnarok was this great masterpiece.

I'm convinced if WW was the exact same movie, but if the credit was " directed by Zack Snyder", it would have gotten shat on. Don't get me wrong, I loved WW
    But I suspect the main reason the usual suspects were kind to WW was to avoid charges of sexism, but to also establish some cred as being fair so they could provide cover to when it was time to crap on JL.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Saw #JusticeLeague yesterday, here's my special 'THE JOKER' review (no spoilers; featuring JARED LETO!). If you want to ask some questions, I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm convinced if WW was the exact same movie, but if the credit was " directed by Zack Snyder", it would have gotten shat on. Don't get me wrong, I loved WW.
    But I suspect the main reason the usual suspects were kind to WW was to avoid charges of sexism, but to also establish some cred as being fair so they could provide cover to when it was time to crap on JL.
    I brought up these exact same points on twitter and people there ripped me a new one. Even some DCEU fans.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    There isn't.
    And you're probably right...But something is going on. It's becoming obvious bias when Marvel movies seem to get universal praise no matter what and if DC does something similar...I.e. weak villain or poor CGI or too quippy, they get called on it whilst stuff like Ragnarok gets glowing reviews that feel like they were written by Marvel's PR department.

I'll see JL on Friday. Perhaps I'll dislike it and ultimately agree with critics here, but I find it hard to fathom JL being more "infantile" than Ragnarok when it had a literal ass joke as part of the freaking plot.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    And you're probably right...But something is going on. It's becoming obvious bias when Marvel movies seem to get universal praise no matter what and if DC does something similar...I.e. weak villain or poor CGI or too quippy, they get called on it whilst stuff like Ragnarok gets glowing reviews that feel like they were written by Marvel's PR department.

I'll see JL on Friday. Perhaps I'll dislike it and ultimately agree with critics here, but I find it hard to fathom JL being more "infantile" than Ragnarok when it had a literal ass joke as part of the freaking plot.
    There's nothing going on.

Film criticism isn't a hard science.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Overall, they seem pretty tame to me. They're definitely way better than BvS which was what most people were hoping for. It's all about expectations I guess.
    Yeah they're no where near as rough as the BvS ones, but also unlike BvS the word of mouth is really positive and that is what matters at the end of the day!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

lol, the same people that praise every popcorn marvel film like is a masterpiece says JL is infantile , after crushin BvS for being too dark

Those critics are full of crap, but i dont blame them, i blame the sheep hat cant maket their own mind and le these people judge a movie for them

People should remember Ratatouille, Critcs dont risk anything, and have power over people that offer their hard work

Oh, guess its that time again.

The critics are mean and biased and unfair and stupid and smelly because they aren't positively reviewing a movie I'm excited for!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

So a question what is everyone's DCEU watch count at?

Mine:

MoS: 4 or 5 (inc once in theatres)

BvS: 8 (inc 3 times is theatres)

SS: Once in theatres.

WW: 3 (once in theatres).

Plan to see JL at any opportunity given the run time so hope to see it 5 or 6 times before it closes.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

The NYT review said Batfleck possibly needs more jokes to be sustainable.
    Lots of comparisons to the MCU, and one review claiming Justice League is copying The Avengers and most recently Thor’s “Revengers.”

With Snyder’s movies, or even the DCEU in general, these critics act like they’re reviewing something life dependent. They are always very harsh and nitpick everything. Not saying they’re right or wrong, but they really shoot for the sky on these reviews.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 11-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    The NYT review said Batfleck possibly needs more jokes to be sustainable.
    Lots of comparisons to the MCU, and one review claiming Justice League is copying The Avengers and most recently Thor’s “Revengers.”

With Snyder’s movies, or even the DCEU in general, these critics act like they’re reviewing something life dependent. They are always very harsh and nitpick everything. Not saying they’re right or wrong, but they really shoot for the sky on these reviews.
    It's the weirdest thing.

Till JL, the DCEU was ripped for not being like Marvel.

Now JL has quips, jokes, is lighter and has all the same frailities the Marvel movies have (cannon fodder armies, CGI, weak villains) and suddenly the DC movies are wrong for copying Marvel.

Can't win for losing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    So a question what is everyone's DCEU watch count at?

Mine:

MoS: 4 or 5 (inc once in theatres)

BvS: 8 (inc 3 times is theatres)

SS: Once in theatres.

WW: 3 (once in theatres).

Plan to see JL at any opportunity given the run time so hope to see it 5 or 6 times before it closes.
    MoS: 1 (DVD)

BvS: 1 (blue-ray)

SS: 1 (blue-ray)

WW: 2 (theatre + blue-ray)

At this points no plans to see Justice League before it comes out on blue-ray.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Seriously guys this bias stuff holds no weight.

For starters many Marvel movies are actually criticised for their use of CGI, their weak villains, and their use of humour. Go and actually see for yourselves that they are. Ragnarok was, GotG Vol. 2 was, Doctor Strange was, Spider-Man was, and so on. No Marvel movie has a 100% rating on RT because not every critic has liked them. Critics are not a hivemind. And Wonder Woman just came out like what, 5 months ago? That movie was lauded by critics and I'd argue it has some darker and more serious moments that MCU movies. Why was it not panned? Look at Logan. Downright depressing movie. Still lauded by critics. Both movies have Oscar buzz. You can't just keep throwing around this idea of bias to avoid the real problems Snyder's movies have. Like them if you want to, but don't go around doubting other people's integrity because you disagree with them. It comes across like you've made up your mind to love this movie no matter what, instead of keeping an open mind. And that's bordering on fanaticism. It's also downright hypocritical to disagree with critics on a movie like Ragnarok, but imply that they are the ones who are wrong because you don't agree.

Maybe, just maybe, Zack Snyder isn't that good of an objective director as you think he is. Like him if you want (I do kinda like 300 and Watchmen), but you can't keep going around saying people have a bias and are wrong because you disagree.

Now honestly in the later months of this movie's promotional run, I became a lot more optimistic than I was before. I thought it looked good. I'm sure they'll be a bunch of moments I'll love. But that's not enough for a movie to be objectively good. And production and post production hiccups aside, this movie was built on a very poor foundation in my opinion. BvS was not the right next step to build this franchise, both as a story and as a movie. But we all know that Zack Snyder loves Frank Miller, and it shows. He loves deconstruction way too much for someone who wants to construct a universe. I doubt any version of Justice League in the DCEU would have been excellent at this stage it was put out. It's happening way too soon, and as a story it feels rushed. Had it been a standalone movie, it could have been great. From what I hear, the cast is actually pretty good in this film. And the fact like it seems as though this movie was trying to fix everything from BvS. Avengers wasn't fixing anything. It wss building on. And look, say what you want about Marvel, but at least they've stuck to their guns, to the point were some people say their movies are formulaic (kinda dumb if you ask me). Unlike WB/DC who have been so reactionary.

I'm still hyped for Aquaman and WW2, Deathstroke and Shazam, but I don't think I'll care too much about this universe. Yes I will form my opinion on this movie, but this isn't encouraging at all.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Seriously guys this bias stuff holds no weight.
    Overall, no, but for some reviewers, of course it does. That shouldn't even be arguable. 45 years of reading reviews is enough evidence for me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It's the weirdest thing.

Till JL, the DCEU was ripped for not being like Marvel.

Now JL has quips, jokes, is lighter and has all the same frailities the Marvel movies have (cannon fodder armies, CGI, weak villains) and suddenly the DC movies are wrong for copying Marvel.

Can't win for losing.
    So the DCEU movies should have all of these things because Marvel has them? You should be straight up disappointed by these things (I even remember people taking shots at Marvel and Thanos, saying Steppenwolf would be more interesting). Yet that doesn't look to be the case and you're still finding a negative as an opportunity to complain about Marvel. Complain about your own damn movie. Why is the CGI apparently bad? Why is Steppenwolf lacklustre like the last two DCEU villains? Why are the Parademons less than interesting? Why does this movie have jokes and quips if people like Ben Affleck said DCEU won't be as funny as Marvel movies? ,If Marvel has laid out a blueprint with Avengers and AoU, then DC should do far better. After all, that is what many of you said.

I get it, you're pissed. But stop avoiding the problem.
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 11-15-2017 at 09:07 AM.