Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    We? Who the heck is we? If you think it is right to make light of a topic such as rape, then it is no wonder why SOME people think it is ok, and not a huge deal, to violate another person's right in the most despicable way. Attitudes like that empowered people like Ben Affleck and Harvey Weinstein. It is far from just a bad stupid joke; IT IS NEVER ok to joke about raping another woman (or even a man). If one can trivialize such a thing, then it indicates that one is capable of performing the same deeds to an innocent unsuspecting person as well. And to humour your point, the women in Momoa's context, were not (portrayed as) rapists killers and molesters.

In my opinion, a joke like that has no place in society, and as an educated person, I have zero privilege or ignorance to ever see the topic of rape as a joke.
    We as in society because it is done quite often in culture and fiction. I'm educated too and as educated person I believe people should choose for themselves what is appropriate and let society judge it. Dedicating what is appropriate in society with humor and language is just elitist fascism and imposing another ones privilege on others.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    In my opinion, a joke like that has no place in society, and as an educated person, I have zero privilege or ignorance to ever see the topic of rape as a joke.
    Are the boundaries of comedy really where this topic is supposed to go?

Also, as an educated person, I dislike seeing someone's subjective opinion presented as an absolute fact that everyone else has to adhere to whether they're willing or not. No one gets to rape my sense of humor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Ugh, yeah that sentence of mine really sucks. Could have been worded way better. Darknight Detective responded correctly, that easily trumps any of this stuff with Affleck.

But the alleged groping shouldn't be dismissed either just because there are people doing worse things, like Brolin or Weinstein. Especially as such behavior can be an indicator that he may be capable of going even further, though we thankfully haven't gotten any stories like that yet.
    I agree it shouldn’t be dismissed, I just see a lot of people here & elsewhere lumping Affleck into the same category as Weinstein, and I don’t think that’s at all fair. Not only to Affleck, but to the women forced by Weinstein to do terrible things for work. Burton having a man touch her breast is nowhere near the same boat as the who-knows-how-many women Weinstein dealt with over decades. It devalues their stories to even suggest the two things are in the same ballpark.

I’m not saying you are doing this, just speaking in general.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Ocean Master's helmet looks cool, and even cooler to see Atlanna prominently in production art (looks like Reis or Fabok) .

I'm guessing by the fish people that we might see some different races of Atlanteans...

Or the Trench......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That stupid insensitive joke Jason made he already apologised for 6 years ago, are we going to revisit every single celebs scummy moments now? The fact it got bought up when WB are currently giving his character a big marketing push with Aquaman week makes the timing even more questionable.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Eh, he wasn't trying to murder them. It was a battle. Cap and Stark don't look like your casual civilians out for lunch on a Tuesday.
    People tend to die in battles last I checked.

Extraordinary Member

Anybody seen this?
    Sometimes i watch thier videos when new trailers come out and sometimes other stuff.
    JUSTICE LEAGUE FINAL NYCC TRAILER REACTION - Double Toasted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLybDxL0Hqk

Spectacular Member Dominick1216's Avatar

On the Affleck situation, I've became a huge fan and supporter of his after watching BVS, but after all this... He doesn't deserve to be part of this franchise. You have to remember, little kids look up to these people, they view them as their heroes... you shouldn't have a man who's sexually harassed women playing a hero kids look up to. Will this affect Justice League at the box office? Probably not. But I do think it will affect Ben Affleck's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Don't tell me you're not gonna be sitting in the theater watching the movie and when Affleck pops up you won't be thinking of all this recent news... The entire general audience probably will.

I won't be surprised once Justice League has been out for a while that we get a statement that either WB has fired Affleck, or he decided to step down. He deserves to face consequences for doing those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick1216 View Post
    On the Affleck situation, I've became a huge fan and supporter of his after watching BVS, but after all this... He doesn't deserve to be part of this franchise. You have to remember, little kids look up to these people, they view them as their heroes... you shouldn't have a man who's sexually harassed women playing a hero kids look up to. Will this affect Justice League at the box office? Probably not. But I do think it will affect Ben Affleck's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Don't tell me you're not gonna be sitting in the theater watching the movie and when Affleck pops up you won't be thinking of all this recent news... The entire general audience probably will.

I won't be surprised once Justice League has been out for a while that we get a statement that either WB has fired Affleck, or he decided to step down. He deserves to face consequences for doing those things.
    I don’t think the general audience will care, tbh. People still enjoy Roman Polanski & Woody Allen films, after all (molestation of a minor & hooking up with an adopted daughter, respectfully). Internet people will care & argue it, but I think the general audience will be fine. I know that when I, personally, am sitting in the theater the last thing on my mind will be that time he touched a boob 14 years ago. I’ll be too focused on seeing my favorite characters all together and waiting for Superman’s triumphant return. Different strokes though, of course.

If the people online put up enough of a stink, though, I agree that a Batman solo with him could be in doubt. Which is a shame, in my opinion. There’s reason to believe Affleck of today is not the same man as Affleck of yesterday (exorcising his demons through therapy & rehab over the last year), and he has a right to work, if they’ll allow him. We lost the best pure actor in Hollywood in Mel Gibson once upon a time because people were unable to seperate the man from the art; I’d hate to lose the best Batman due to a boob. RDJ once had such a terrible drug habit that he landed in prison, and now is one of the highest paid actors portraying a superhero & nobody cares. Brolin beat Lane, and nobody cares. Athletes do terrible things all the time, and people continue to buy jerseys and go to games (unless they’re kneeling)...I guess what I’m saying is, Affleck should keep his hands to himself, and meaningfully apologize, but I’m not sure his specific case deserves the pitchfork hate, or the labels of “predator”. Save that for the Weinsteins of the world, who truly deeply deserve it. And again, I’m not calling out anyone here; just speaking in general.

To the poster who mentioned bad timing in regards to Momoa, I agree. I think most can admit that it’s at the least pretty interesting how things continue to come out riiiight before each DC film. Affleck’s divorce & rehab right before BvS, the cast hating Leto right before SS, WW film being a “mess”, and now reports of sexual harassment from Affleck & the resurfacing of an old dead story of a rape joke a month before JL. Some things are true, some aren’t/weren’t, but the timing is interesting (no conspiracy theory here, just commenting). For example, people piling on Affleck now instead of during the Oscar race for Argo. Sometimes I wonder if DC is cursed lol
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 10-13-2017 at 04:58 AM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I guess Ben will not going to promote the movie with Gal and the others.

Gal Gadot on her twitter/insta...

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/918843263037014016

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaMPWHEg...n-by=gal_gadot

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I guess Ben will not going to promote the movie with Gal and the others.

Gal Gadot on her twitter/insta...

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/918843263037014016

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaMPWHEg...n-by=gal_gadot
    I was wondering how Gal would react to this...and not surprised, though I'm curious how this will effect her relationship with Affleck.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was wondering how Gal would react to this...and not surprised, though I'm curious how this will effect her relationship with Affleck.
    Yeah me too. Her message was praising women rather than shaming the accused men and didn't target anyone specifically, maybe she was trying to make sure the rest of the cast wasn't tacitly approving Ben's behavior by staying silent.

Now I hope this doesn't somehow bring up the Zionist baggage she has as well. That would be the icing on the cake here.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Yeah me too. Her message was praising women rather than shaming the accused men and didn't target anyone specifically, maybe she was trying to make sure the rest of the cast wasn't tacitly approving Ben's behavior by staying silent.

Now I hope this doesn't somehow bring up the Zionist baggage she has as well. That would be the icing on the cake here.
    People always try to bring up her Zionist comments yet it never works. Wonder Woman still made bank and slot of people like her.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    People always try to bring up her Zionist comments yet it never works. Wonder Woman still made bank and slot of people like her.
    Yeah, that was never going to be anything but it was - a dud.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?