Page 1810 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 810131017101760180018061807180818091810181118121813181418201860 ... LastLast
Results 27,136 to 27,150 of 28116

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I totally agree with you regarding Birds of Prey and SS2. But The Batman is exactly the kinds of films the DCEU needs to dig itself out. Solo films of the JL members appropriately toned for the character. If it was up to me, we'd see AM, Shazam, WW2, The Flash, The Batman, Superman (and call it that not MoS2) and GL in that order. I'd introduce Hal in one of the other solo's to re-intro to audiences.
    Oh, I think doing a Batman film is swell. But to me, they need to put as much distance between the DCEU and the new movies as possible. Having Ben Affleck return as Batman, which by nature will be an old Batman, doesn't accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I totally agree with you regarding Birds of Prey and SS2. But The Batman is exactly the kinds of films the DCEU needs to dig itself out. Solo films of the JL members appropriately toned for the character. If it was up to me, we'd see AM, Shazam, WW2, The Flash, The Batman, Superman (and call it that not MoS2) and GL in that order. I'd introduce Hal in one of the other solo's to re-intro to audiences.
    IMO that would be far less effective than a possible AM, Shazam, WW2, BoP, SS2 and The Batman line-up. WW2, BoP and SS2 are being prioritized because the first Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad managed to mint money thanks to serving to demographics who didn't see enough representation in DC's competitors (mainly women, Latino audiences and in a pre-Black Panther landscape, African-American audiences).

The Green Lantern fanbase is divided among the different Lanterns as is, so prioritizing investing resources into rehabilitating Hal's image on the big screen after his disastrous first outing doesn't seem worth the risk, especially as the straight white male superhero isn't really a cinematic novelty any more.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 06-09-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I simply can't see how that lineup will help the DCEU brand get out of the hole it is in.

Suicide Squad was arguably the worst received of all the DCEU films (yeah, it made money, but that was partly due to a huge marketing campaign). If they want to salvage that, it's probably better to do solo or duo movies.

Birds of Prey, there I simply do not know who is supposed to be in the movie. Are they going to put Harley Quinn into another team? Doing another teamup movie where we don't know or care about the characters yet? And while putting a newcomer "bad boy" as the viewpoint character in a team movie is a proven idea (see the original X-Men), I'm not sure Harley Quinn is the right character for that. And in practice it would block doing a proper Batgirl-Oracle story arc based firmly in Barbara Gordon's experience.

As for The Batman, I'm not sure I want to see another brooding old Batman.

If the movies are good, it will.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Why would they care about keeping him happy? The franchise has no future. SS had some of the worst week to week drops in history. It was profitable due to the initial rush and strong marketing, but once word of mouth got out its numbers tanked.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...&id=dc2016.htm

Don't make things up man. Only bad drop was week 2 (on par with the X-Men films or recently Deadpool 2). Still made more money than Man of Steel and Green Lantern, without China and with fanboys berating anyone who liked the film. No wonder there's a sequel in the works
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Oh, I think doing a Batman film is swell. But to me, they need to put as much distance between the DCEU and the new movies as possible. Having Ben Affleck return as Batman, which by nature will be an old Batman, doesn't accomplish that.
    An Old Man Bats movie can put a lot of distance between itself and the Snyderverse simply by being well made.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

Don't make things up man. Only bad drop was week 2 (on par with the X-Men films or recently Deadpool 2). Still made more money than Man of Steel and Green Lantern, without China and with fanboys berating anyone who liked the film. No wonder there's a sequel in the works
    WB even announced how SS boosted their profits for the financial quarter it came out in, right? I remember them crediting Latino movie-goers and El Diablo's representation in particular for the movie's success.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

I think that one of the most frustrating parts about this. You can barely express liking any of the films without some random jerk labeling you as an apologist or not a “real fan” of DC. If I can accept people liking the Injustice games despite my belief of them represnting what I think is the biggest problem with DC, why can’t people accept that there are people who any of the DCEU films and don’t feel any guilt for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The Green Lantern fanbase is divided among the different Lanterns as is, so prioritizing investing resources into rehabilitating Hal's image on the big screen after his disastrous first outing doesn't seem worth the risk, especially as the straight white male superhero isn't really a cinematic novelty any more.
    So Hal should be swept under the rug because he's a white guy who was in a bad movie? We could use the same logic for the likes of Hulk, Daredevil, Wolverine, Punisher and many others over the years. Lots of them turned out alright, why should Hal Jordan be less worthy than any of them.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-09-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    An Old Man Bats movie can put a lot of distance between itself and the Snyderverse simply by being well made.
    Yes, there really isn't any drastic need to reboot (yet) when things can be salvaged just by telling good stories.

I've seen some segments of the fandom say that Affleck and Cavill need to go because they are the faces of this less than successful franchise, which would be punishing the actors for **** they have no control over. Cavill especially seems to still want to be on board, he deserves another shot with different people behind the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So Hal should be swept under the rug because he's a white guy who was in a bad movie? We could use the same logic for Hulk, Daredevil, Wolverine, Punisher and many others over the years. Lots of them turned out alright, why should Hal Jordan be less worthy than any of them.
    So you want Hal to be relegated to a streaming service series or never have his own solo movie again? Coz that's the fate of all those characters you listed except Wolverine, and Hal is no Wolverine (he's no Wolverine being played by Hugh Jackman to be more specific).
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 06-09-2018 at 12:53 PM.

BANNED

So Hal should be swept under the rug because he's a white guy who was in a bad movie? We could use the same logic for the likes of Hulk, Daredevil, Wolverine, Punisher and many others over the years. Lots of them turned out alright, why should Hal Jordan be less worthy than any of them.
    Well, one huge difference between Hal and those others is that there are a number of alternatives here that are also bonafide Green Lanterns with hundreds of stories to their name.

There is no need to pick Hal. Green Lanterns are a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    So you want Hal to be relegated to a streaming service series or never have his own solo movie again? Coz that's the fate of all those characters you listed except Wolverine, and Hal is no Wolverine.
    It makes little difference to me whether it's a movie or a Netflix show, as long as it helps restoring the image of a good character. The aforementioned shows did just that. Hal Jordan should not be an exception just because of the fact that he was unfortunate enough to be in a bad movie, or let alone due to his ethnicity. What does that even mean, should they bury any white male character who's been in a bad movie now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, one huge difference between Hal and those others is that there are a number of alternatives here that are also bonafide Green Lanterns with hundreds of stories to their name.

There is no need to pick Hal. Green Lanterns are a dime a dozen.
    So Hal "isn't worth the risk" because... there's other characters with the same powerset...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ditching Hal completely is hardly necessary when there is enough precedent for having more than one Earth Lantern.

The DCEU can have Hal and John at the very least, if not the others as well.

It makes little difference to me whether it's a movie or a Netflix show, as long as it helps restoring the image of a good character. The aforementioned shows did just that.
    You really think a streaming service can afford the VFX required for a Green Lantern movie? The best you'll get is some weird Smallville-ish take on Hal pre-Abin Sur as a trainee for test piloting.

What does that even mean, should they bury any white male character who's been in a bad movie now.
    Which isn't what I said at all. I said it's not wise to prioritize rehabilitating him over sequels to movies starring minority or female characters who have brought in the big bucks for DC.