I think a recast would do fine a recast as part of a partial reboot like Flashpoint I think could be confusing to the general public.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It was kind of unclear if Keaton's, Kilmer's, and Clooney's Batmen were meant to be the same guy. Kilmer's and Clooney's most likely were, considering that they had the same supporting casts and there were references in BATMAN AND ROBIN (ugh) to events from BATMAN FOREVER, but it's more of a stretch tying those back to Keaton's two movies.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I have to disagree with you (a rarity regarding you), BA. To me, all of the different actors from the Burtonverse were playing the same version of Bruce, just like all of the different Catwomen from the '66 show were one and the same.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have to disagree with you (a rarity regarding you), BA. To me, all of the different actors from the Burtonverse were playing the same version of Bruce, just like all of the different Catwomen from the '66 show were one and the same.
    I was never too sure about it...considering that the feel of BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN were so radically different from BATMAN (1989) and BATMAN RETURNS, and I think the only actor who appeared in all four films was Michael Gough as Alfred. Moreover, Schumacher was so different from Burton in terms of how he directed the films that it was difficult to imagine them all being in one universe/timeline.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I was never too sure about it...considering that the feel of BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN were so radically different from BATMAN (1989) and BATMAN RETURNS, and I think the only actor who appeared in all four films was Michael Gough as Alfred. Moreover, Schumacher was so different from Burton in terms of how he directed the films that it was difficult to imagine them all being in one universe/timeline.

I think the different directors is the key here, BA. I completely agree the first two films feel more different compared to the others (without a doubt regarding the last one). Still, I never doubted it was all the same universe. Just think of it the way Silver Age DC morphed into the Bronze Age.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Pat Hingle was also the Commish for all four 90s films.

Though I too never really considered Schumacher's vision in full continuity with Burton's, given the vastly different approaches they took to directing their films as well as the differing takes on Batman's characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I think the different directors is the key here, BA. I completely agree the first two films feel more different compared to the others (without a doubt regarding the last one). Still, I never doubted it was all the same universe. Just think of it the way Silver Age DC morphed into the Bronze Age.
    ...except in reverse. The Burton Batman started out all dark and gothy, and then, somehow lightened up WAY TOO MUCH later in the decade.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Good lord. Some of you get confused by movies as easily as Mac from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Weren't sure it was supposed to be the same version of Bruce? WTF. So his butler and commissioner are exactly the same, his batmobiles only modify slightly from film to film, Wayne Manor and the bat cave are largely unchanged but since it went from Keaton to Kilmer to Clooney all bets were off on if it was the same franchise? Holy hell.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Audiences didn't seem to mind the sudden transformation of Edward Norton to Mark Ruffalo in the MCU, though as you do point out, Banner was reduced to supporting character after his solo (which seems to have fallen out by the wayside both in its universe and public consciousness) and he's not the half of the Hulk that audiences probably are itching to see.
    Norton never appeared on screen with other actors, which is my main thing. The previous movie was totally inconsequential as far as audiences were concerned. Affleck will have appeared in 2 films alongside the two most important co-stars of the franchise. They have a chemistry, the audience believes they've developed a bond. It won't sit well to just replace him and pretend nothing happened. Mainstream audiences will be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Good lord. Some of you get confused by movies as easily as Mac from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Weren't sure it was supposed to be the same version of Bruce? WTF. So his butler and commissioner are exactly the same, his batmobiles only modify slightly from film to film, Wayne Manor and the bat cave are largely unchanged but since it went from Keaton to Kilmer to Clooney all bets were off on if it was the same franchise? Holy hell.
    I actually had no idea they were supposed to be part of the same franchise. The supporting actors (aside from Alfred) don't connect, there were never references to previous adventures, villains never reappeared, love interests came and went, and the tone of the films were markedly distinct. Then again the idea of a franchise wasn't as solid as it is today. They were all Batman, the movies could, connect as different episodes in Bruce's life, but they could also stand alone as disconnected stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I actually had no idea they were supposed to be part of the same franchise. The supporting actors (aside from Alfred) don't connect, there were never references to previous adventures, villains never reappeared, love interests came and went, and the tone of the films were markedly distinct. Then again the idea of a franchise wasn't as solid as it is today. They were all Batman, the movies could, connect as different episodes in Bruce's life, but they could also stand alone as disconnected stories.
    A somewhat similar problem occurs with the Donnerverse SUPERMAN movies. SUPERMAN I, II, and RETURNS all appear to be of one continuity, but it's uncertain how III and IV fit into all of it.

A somewhat similar problem occurs with the Donnerverse SUPERMAN movies. SUPERMAN I, II, and RETURNS all appear to be of one continuity, but it's uncertain how III and IV fit into all of it.

They're not supposed to, 3 and 4 are retconned out for the purposes of Returns.

Spectacular Member

Maybe not. Dick Grayson is almost as well-known to the general audience as Bruce Wayne, and I think the audience might be open to the idea of the mantle being passed on to a guy who has been waiting in the wings for decades.

Robin is just about as well known as Batman, but the name Dick Grayson isn't anywhere to as recognizable as Bruce Wayne. I don't think legacy works for movies. Too confusing, especially when actors are constantly recasted for these roles. Now if it were a tv show, that would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    Robin is just about as well known as Batman, but the name Dick Grayson isn't anywhere to as recognizable as Bruce Wayne. I don't think legacy works for movies. Too confusing, especially when actors are constantly recasted for these roles. Now if it were a tv show, that would make more sense.
    Yet another reason why HBO would really be the best home for Batman.

...except in reverse. The Burton Batman started out all dark and gothy, and then, somehow lightened up WAY TOO MUCH later in the decade.

Way too much is right, BA.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    Robin is just about as well known as Batman, but the name Dick Grayson isn't anywhere to as recognizable as Bruce Wayne..
    Bruce's name is more well known, yes, but Dick Grayson is a fairly recognizable name to the average person.