Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Didn't seem right to start a whole new thread, so I'll start the discussion here: did anybody else like BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE as a movie, but not like the title? I'm a huge fan of the movie itself, but never warmed to the title they gave it. The title didn't fit the tone of the movie that was made and released.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    It was definitely a bit overwrought. No question about it. For one thing, the "Batman vs Superman" part leads the audience to believe that there was going to be some kind of extended conflict between Batman and Superman. Instead, we only get a lot of build-up and a relatively short fight that ultimately wasn't that relevant to the real conflict of the movie.

I would've just called it "Dawn of Justice" and been done with it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Should have been two movies:

Batman v Superman, focusing on Bruce and Kal, with maybe an appearance by a Batman villain and Lex as Supes villain. The movie focuses on the struggle and anger (same as BvS) Bruce has towards Clark. Movie ends with them calling Lex's bluff, etc.

Dawn of Justice would be second part, or its own movie in the MoS trilogy. Intro of Diana, and it's ending probably similar to BvS's ending. At least that way Cavill would have been in a few movies before being sacrificed.

There ya go.
    Or? Honestly? This may have been the best way to handle it.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The original plan was for it to be two movies, which is why the script for BvS is so pointlessly convoluted. It is literally two scripts smooshed together and rewritten to make Ben Affleck happy enough to sign his multi-film contract.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The original plan was for it to be two movies, which is why the script for BvS is so pointlessly convoluted. It is literally two scripts smooshed together and rewritten to make Ben Affleck happy enough to sign his multi-film contract.
    Can't be true. The second half of the film is majority action. Would make a very unbalanced pair of two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Can't be true. The second half of the film is majority action. Would make a very unbalanced pair of two movies.
    If they were making two separate movies, they would've planned both movies differently. Once they decided they were only making one movie, they planned it accordingly.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Star Wars lost yet another director. It's funny how we hear nothing about other franchise developments until they are officially announced. In the DCEU's case, the trades would "report" 19-20 rumors about a person dropping out whether there's a modicum of truth to it or not.

BANNED

Oh I agree they treat Kathleen Kennedy with kid gloves in the press....

Her record though speaks for itself zero original ideas with the Franchise mining and repackaging Lucas's greatest hits from the OT. But KK was never suppose to be an idea person, she was suppose to be a steady hand on the steering wheel yet Star Wars has no clear outline for a Billion Dollar Trilogy? Apparently no one told RJ anything about where the story needed to go when he got the gig so no wonder CT had creative differences he got the job with no marching orders and when he said something that wasn't like he got his marching orders right out the door. Granted I never though Colin was the man for the job.

The Record:
    2 Directors Fired Before Filming
    1 Pair Fired During Filming
    1 Replaced in Reshoots, Post and Editing

This is not a record that needs to be praised.
    Its a record that frankly demands questions be asked about the competence of the leadership at LF.

Yeah it looks like Lucasfilm is at a much more unstable place than the DCEU. DCEU only gets it much worse because Zack Snyder films are not everyone's cup of tea and so the weak reviews are used as some form of validation for all the rumor-mongering and gossip.

BANNED

Look DC made a mistake by backing the wrong horse in Snyder and thinking everything needed to be dark grim and gritty...but it looks like they know how to course correct.

LF needs to do the same and I think its starts by actually having a plan when directors come in or are brought in to pitch their spin. I mean what is the point of having a whole story group around if they aren't actually even providing a broad outline for the movies.

Disney is mostly the ones controlling the reigns from what I've heard which probably explains why directors left because of creative differences.

Anyways WW now may have lost its Dec 2019 spot because the chances of getting whatever episode 2019 Star Wars was gonna be by May 2019 are looking more silm. But hey who knows?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Look DC made a mistake by backing the wrong horse in Snyder and thinking everything needed to be dark grim and gritty...but it looks like they know how to course correct.

LF needs to do the same and I think its starts by actually having a plan when directors come in or are brought in to pitch their spin. I mean what is the point of having a whole story group around if they aren't actually even providing a broad outline for the movies.
    I know the Snyder fans will hate me for saying this. The DCEU will become more successful critically, financially and in general public opinion the more it distances itself from Snyder's vision. I enjoyed MOS and the BvS EC but even the biggest Snyder fans have to admit that something is going on here. It isn't just studio interference because the BvS EC while better than the theatrical cut still suffers from problems that the EC can't edit out. The extended reshoots are being done because the studio doesn't trust Snyder's vision and they need JL to be a hit. At the very least it has to change the critical opinions that panned BvS. Those opinions do influence public opinion regardless of what some stubbornly will claim. WW is a recent of example of how critical opinion can affect a movie's box office.

BANNED

Its funny I don't BvS played to Snyder's strength which is action and cinematic fights and shots because the movie was seriously lacking in those qualities especially during the first half.

Point being Snyder has one very particular style and is not suited to be the big ideas guy who is shaping a whole cinematic universe where different styles are required.

Its funny I don't BvS played to Snyder's strength which is action and cinematic fights and shots because the movie was seriously lacking in those qualities especially during the first half.

Point being Snyder has one very particular style and is not suited to be the big ideas guy who is shaping a whole cinematic universe where different styles are required.
    It's because Snyder is more obsessed with things that fall outside of his comfort zone. From the interviews he has given over the last few years, it seems he really wants to be an ambitious and compelling storyteller in the vein of Alan Moore and Frank Miller in his prime. But Snyder's strengths are visual compositions and action sequences, skill sets which are closer to the talents of an artist than a writer (broadly speaking here). He thinks he is a Miller who can handle both, but I think his writing can be sketchy (Sucker Punch, that Owl movie), even if the ideas presented are interesting. Of course, Miller himself has sketchy plots and characterizations which have become more apparent now than earlier, so maybe the main problem Snyder has is he's taking inspiration from the wrong source?

I think his films could have worked critically if he had directed screenplays from a superior writer (not David Goyer, and I don't know how much Chris Terrio contributed to the BvS script to know for sure how adaptable he is to the superhero genre). It's for that reason I'm interested in seeing how much Joss Whedon (who is definitely more of a "writer-director" than Snyder) has contributed to JL, and in what capacity. And whether it can compliment and enhance Snyder's own work and craft.

BANNED

So basically Snyder wants to prove he is great instead of being Bay and sticking to what he is good at...makes sense.

So basically Snyder wants to prove he is great instead of being Bay and sticking to what he is good at...makes sense.
    Well, I'll take a million Snyders over one Bay. Snyder's execution may not be brilliant but I find his core ideas to be interesting. And at least he tries to get out of his comfort zone. Bay is just a cynical businessman who is content with producing lowest common denominator fare.

And of course, Snyder is head and shoulders compared to Bay when it comes to behind the scenes stuff with how Bay exploits his actresses and appears to be just a nasty piece of work in general. As opposed to Snyder who seems to be well-liked by his colleagues.