Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Mixed to positive reactions overall. Very few negative reviews.
    A crowd pleaser: Light, fun, slightly flawed at times with a weak villain.

I think those are fair summaries from what we've seen.
    We're fine, folks. Based upon all of this, I think JL finishes in the 70s on RT for those who care about that kind of thing.

I do think it's the cool and hop thing to do in the critic world right now to hate on the DCEU and be overtly judgmental.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    So wait, after all of the (sometimes unfair) bashing of BvS we had to endure, some here are disappointed with “good not great”? Am I reading this right?

If this movie, a Snyder movie, gets scored in the 60’s to 70’s, that’s a goddamn win for us DCEU fans lol
    Right? Like this is wayyy better then anyone could have predicted so far only one reaction has been flat out negative (from the Mashable guy no less), the rest have either been positive or mixed. If those mixed reviewers decide to lean more into positive this could be Snyder's highest rated movie.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    That sounds like Thor Ragnarok.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I'm going to for a second.
    I saw Ragnarok last night.

CGI on Surtur was awful. CGI for Hela at times was awful.
    Too many comedic lines came at the wrong time and fell flat with our crowd. Serious moment, oh! Have to drop a one liner in!

It was a fun time, don't get me wrong. And I think it was the best Thor (which isn't saying much), but at this current point, I think it's pretty overrated. I'll watch it again though.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

So wait, after all of the (sometimes unfair) bashing of BvS we had to endure, some here are disappointed with “good not great”? Am I reading this right?

If this movie, a Snyder movie, gets scored in the 60’s to 70’s, that’s a goddamn win for us DCEU fans lol
    This is why "fans" should never have been shortened from "fanatics."

Listened to Elfman's OST for JL and I'm very disappointed. Wow what a letdown.

Spectacular Member

Except it sounds like what I liked about the DCEU is gone. The attempt at depth. Even if it wasn’t always successful. It’s not good news to me if all it gets me is more Marvel movies in DC clothing.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Sorry I'm not satisfied with being considered as good as Thor: The Dark World...

Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've read today, fun is not a bad word as much as some of the DCEU fandom seem to despise it. I expect the RT% to be higher like low 80's.

Really happy seeing most are praising the new characters and I saw multiple people compare it to Justice League Unlimited which is music to my ears.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Sorry I'm not satisfied with being considered as good as Thor: The Dark World...
    I’m strictly talking critically. In my opinion, the Ultimate Cut of BvS should be in the 90’s because I see it as a damn masterpiece. Unfortunately, I’m in the minority opinion. But here’s the deal: almost EVERY single time it gets brought up and argued about, someone ALWAYS brings up the RT score. And then fans of the film will say it’s biased. And it becomes a major circlejerk of people on both sides arguing a REVIEW score, instead of the themes or the film itself.

And goddamn is that tiring to read.

If JL scored somewhere between 65 & 75? Then maybe people will talk about the movie, and not the score. Look at Man of Steel, isn’t that in the 50’s? Nobody argues over the RT score, they argue the story. Which is how films should be discussed - on what they bring to the table, not what RT says it is.

If the RT scores say it is only as good as Thor: Dark World, is that just automatically going to be your opinion as well? Does a higher score mean you’ll like the movie more? I think people should form their own opinions, regardless of RT, but your mileage may vary. The one and absolutely only reason I want it to score decently on RT is because I’d like to discuss the film instead of only discussing the reviews.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've read today, fun is not a bad word as much as some of the DCEU fandom seem to despise it.

Really happy seeing most are praising the new characters and I saw multiple people compare it to Justice League Unlimited which is music to my ears.
    Yep. I’m 100% okay with “fun”, and though I have adored the previous entries I am also okay with “humor” and “lack of character depth.” Know why? Because this is the conclusion to Snyder’s trilogy. We’ve had all the setup, now it’s time for the payoff.

Weak villain? No problem! The point of this type of movie, just as with Avengers, is to bring the team together & give them someone to punch. That’s it. It’s the payoff for the journey we started 4 years ago with Man of Steel. They can go deeper with the solo films to come. If future films become MCU films with the humor & stuff, then that will be a problem. But that has nothing to do with THIS film.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing today, too.

As for the criticism of the villain being bland, has Steppenwolf ever been anything more interesting than "Darkseid's lieutenant"? He was unceremoniously killed off in the DCAU, and the only comic I've read with him in it was Robinson's Earth-2. As long as he kicks some @$$, is imposing enough and lays hints about Darkseid, then I'll 100% ok with that.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing today, too.

As for the criticism of the villain being bland, has Steppenwolf ever been anything more interesting than "Darkseid's lieutenant"? He was unceremoniously killed off in the DCAU, and the only comic I've read with him in it was Robinson's Earth-2. As long as he kicks some @$$, is imposing enough and lays hints about Darkseid, then I'll 100% ok with that.
    I'm not a big DC reader. I didn't know Steppenwolf existed before this movie. I just want to see the Justice League kick butt and get along. It sounds like I'm getting that. The film's 1hr59m (including credits, from what I understand), so even if it did something awful, it is at least is nice enough to be short.

Ultimate Member

Sounds good so far. Flawed but fun which is ok.

I'm expecting an RT score of between 60-80%.

It's a super hero first time team up movie, I'm not expecting The Godfather here. I just want to have a fun time for two hours and if JL delivers that then I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    Listened to Elfman's OST for JL and I'm very disappointed. Wow what a letdown.
    Why do you say that? I just finished listening and was pleasantly surprised. Elfman hasn’t done much lately and it was pretty good, with several clever moments.

Amazing Member

Just a reminder: Initial reactions tend to be overwhelmingly positive. So the mixed-to-somewhat-positive reactions we're seeing right now may not be a good sign. This is the time we should be seeing raves like "Best superhero movie ever !" That's why all scores whether it's Rotten Tomatoes or user ratings tend to go down over time.

For now, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Visually, the movie looks ugly to me but I'm glad to see the words "fun" and "funny" pop up in these tweets.