Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

You know what's interesting to me? The DCEU only happened because of one man... Chris Nolan.

He pushed out a MoS movie by heavily pitching it to WB. He had a main producer role and I believe story credit too. But obviously he couldn't film it because TDKR, so in comes Zack. 2013, MoS comes out and does alright at the BO.

A sequel is green light. Goyer pens script again, Zack wants to use Batman as an antagonist to go up against Superman... WB suddenly see the potential of an extended universe...

Film gets delayed a year... Script get's re-written, and the film is not a direct MoS sequel now but a prequel to the set up of the DCEU.

So had Nolan not pushed MoS, essentially no DCEU. No WW film, no AM film next year. SR flopped, GL flopped bet ya anything if MoS didn't happen we'll be getting a rebooted Batman solo now, marking the first DC film since 2012...

Love the DCEU, hate the DCEU we should be thankful we have *a* DCEU.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I feel the DCEU has gotten just scores every time. Man of Steel was a good movie and well made but was a divisive interpretation of Superman so it got a 55% almost right down the middle which sound sight right given the reaction to that Superman. The other 3 to score low were all heavily changed and edited by WB and it showed and they suffered.
    I agree with you here. Man of Steel is definitely a good movie. A divisive take shows the score. Split almost right at the middle. Other films were cut up. I can understand BvS. A 3 hour R-rated film is not a good idea. I think their mistake was in deciding what to keep and what to cut. More Clark investigations and less Bruce's goofy dreams. These scenes are a distraction to the story even if they are cool. People would find it dumb. For, SS editing problems are always brought up. JL. I am not so sure. Yes its rotten and at 40. But its not mid 25. Who knows possibly the full cut would have been lower. It could be higher too. But i am not sure. Personally, i loved this film and feel that longer time would have hurt. You don't need to see Iris West. She has no role in the story. It makes sense for an extended cut for fans. Not for a widely released film. Thus, i am not sure about it.

The only films without heavy editing are Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. Man of Steel was still at 55%. Owing partly to the divisive take. But it still has an A- Cinemascore. For an origin film, earning 668 million dollars worldwide is not so easy. So, point is proven. Though i still doubt JL. Weren't there reports of an earlier cut deemed unwatchable?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I agree with you here. Man of Steel is definitely a good movie. A divisive take shows the score. Split almost right at the middle. Other films were cut up. I can understand BvS. A 3 hour R-rated film is not a good idea. I think their mistake was in deciding what to keep and what to cut. More Clark investigations and less Bruce's goofy dreams. These scenes are a distraction to the story even if they are cool. People would find it dumb. For, SS editing problems are always brought up. JL. I am not so sure. Yes its rotten and at 40. But its not mid 25. Who knows possibly the full cut would have been lower. It could be higher too. But i am not sure. Personally, i loved this film and feel that longer time would have hurt. You don't need to see Iris West. She has no role in the story. It makes sense for an extended cut for fans. Not for a widely released film. Thus, i am not sure about it.

The only films without heavy editing are Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. Man of Steel was still at 55%. Owing partly to the divisive take. But it still has an A- Cinemascore. For an origin film, earning 668 million dollars worldwide is not so easy. So, point is proven. Though i still doubt JL. Weren't there reports of an earlier cut deemed unwatchable?
    No just unconfirmed rumours without a legitimate or reliable source. Also BvS was never gonna be R even with 3hrs ZS said once they decided (ie just WB) that the 3 hr cut was gonna go on home video he decided may as well include the stuff MPAA made them cut.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    She made some good points but her downplaying the success of Homecoming and using that as example of a negative of a total reboot is borderline imbecilic. Homecoming was a unabashed success that gave the franchise a much needed shot in the arm after the hole Sony dug the franchise in. It may not have made a much as the Riami movies but it out-grossed the first two reboot films and that is inarguably a success. If anything she should've used the first Amazing Spider-Man film as an example of the negative side of rebooting not Homecoming.
    Spiderman homecoming worldwide made more money then most raimi spiderman films however.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    You know what's interesting to me? The DCEU only happened because of one man... Chris Nolan.

He pushed out a MoS movie by heavily pitching it to WB. He had a main producer role and I believe story credit too. But obviously he couldn't film it because TDKR, so in comes Zack. 2013, MoS comes out and does alright at the BO.

A sequel is green light. Goyer pens script again, Zack wants to use Batman as an antagonist to go up against Superman... WB suddenly see the potential of an extended universe...

Film gets delayed a year... Script get's re-written, and the film is not a direct MoS sequel now but a prequel to the set up of the DCEU.

So had Nolan not pushed MoS, essentially no DCEU. No WW film, no AM film next year. SR flopped, GL flopped bet ya anything if MoS didn't happen we'll be getting a rebooted Batman solo now, marking the first DC film since 2012...

Love the DCEU, hate the DCEU we should be thankful we have *a* DCEU.
    I would rather not have a DCEU than the one we currently have. It does nothing but hurt the DC brand and only a select group of fans enjoy the universe so far. The DCEU should bring in a wider audience into DC not divide the ones they already have. The DCEU really feels like the New 52 brought to life. A bunch of potential ideas announced with no one knowing if they will happen, divisive fanbase, unnecessary changes that get retconned anyway, etc.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Spiderman homecoming worldwide made more money then most raimi spiderman films however.
    You also have to take into account how much the movie-viewing audience/box office has changed since then in only a few short years which is still crazy to me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

I like how people keep trying to claim there's some bias against DC films especially given success of Wonder Woman but the simple fact here is DC has not been making good films for the most part, and not some conspiracy when they don't crack 90% on RT.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    and only a select group of fans enjoy the universe so far.
    No. Your estimations are off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It's crap like that that makes it abundantly clear there is indeed some sort of pro- Marvel bias among the critic and blogger community. It's not some elaborate conspiracy by Disney or pay offs or anything of the like, but it's definitely there in some form. I mean you don't see articles saying " Thor Ragnarok is too intense for kids" when it's pretty much on the same level as JL in terms of violence, sexual innuendo etc. I mean, you could make the argument that BvS and SS and probably the last act of MOS may be a bit too intense for kids, but JL? Seriously? Something stinks.
    The article is some assessing how family friendly movies are, and it isn't just about Justice League.

As far as your kids go, I’d say it’s OK for viewers around 11 or 12 and older.
    There's barely a difference from the minimum age they suggested for Ragnarok when it came out.

While Blanchett is clearly having a blast camping and vamping it up as Hela, she also might be frightening to littler kids. And there’s a scattering of profanity throughout. I brought my 8-year-old son to a screening and he loved it, but there was one image involving Thor’s eye that he found disturbing. But if your kids are familiar with these characters and this world, they’ll have a great time. Fine for viewers around 9 or 10 and older.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TitanMax View Post
    I like how people keep trying to claim there's some bias against DC films especially given success of Wonder Woman but the simple fact here is DC has not been making good films for the most part, and not some conspiracy when they don't crack 90% on RT.
    This straw man is getting old. Critical opinions have a variety of dimensions that audiences/fans are free to deconstruct. The personal taste of the critic, the preconceived notions the critic might have about a character or the appropriate tone for the genre, the trend and atmosphere surrounding the genre, the weight put on certain flaws or strengths of a film, etc. Art doesn't exist in a vacuum, nor does its reception.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I would rather not have a DCEU than the one we currently have. It does nothing but hurt the DC brand and only a select group of fans enjoy the universe so far. The DCEU should bring in a wider audience into DC not divide the ones they already have. The DCEU really feels like the New 52 brought to life. A bunch of potential ideas announced with no one knowing if they will happen, divisive fanbase, unnecessary changes that get retconned anyway, etc.
    Here, here. DCEU is just waisted potential. I could've lived without the current DCEU movies.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Ironically, those links go nowhere.
    lol. Weird, but here is the main article anyway:

http://heroicuniverse.com/dc-films-go-things-not/

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

According to Mark Hughes, who has been as plugged in as anyone to the DCEU and a fan, the JL failure is likely going to force just Wonder Woman and Batman trilogies with an Aquaman and Shazam solo/sequels mixed in. No more Henry Cavill Superman, folks. F***!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#6d96b2044b91

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    According to Mark Hughes, who has been as plugged in as anyone to the DCEU and a fan, the JL failure is likely going to force just Wonder Woman and Batman trilogies with an Aquaman and Shazam solo/sequels mixed in. No more Henry Cavill Superman, folks. F***!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#6d96b2044b91
    Cavil is apparently under contract for one more film. i think he may show up in Shazam for a minute and thats it. they may wait a while to introduce a new Superman after that. by that time there will already be a new Batman. i dont see WB rebooting the DCEU but with Affleck and Cavill basically done i think they will use that as an "end on an era" scenario. they will try to turn the page on the DCEU and distance themselves from Snyder, Affleck, and Cavill.
    Jake Gyllenhaal or whoever they get for Batman will be the new face of DC films and they will move on from there.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-20-2017 at 06:43 PM.