Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I know it was a joke, albeit a poor one that they kept bringing up. The first time was enough, but know they kept mentioning it because " heh heh anus is a naughty word. Funny".
    Biggest flaw with the MCU is recycled gags and joke. It was super obnoxious in GotG 2 and Thor wasn't as bad but still annoying all the same.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Biggest flaw with the MCU is recycled gags and joke. It was super obnoxious in GotG 2 and Thor wasn't as bad but still annoying all the same.
    I'm surprised by how cartoonish Vol. 2 got at times.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

One thing I will say is that it does feel like there is a missing film between MOS and BvS. I mean you aren't completely lost to say, Lex's motivations in BvS, but we could have used another Superman solo film to set up his threat and pay off in BvS.

If WB wasn't so hell bent in rushing to JL, it could have been doable. You could even have conceivably had an MOS 2 and BvS film back to back and come out in the same year or a year apart. It may have only pushed a JL film back a year or 6 months. Marvel has already beat DC to the punch in getting a couple Superhero team movie made. I don't buy the argument they should have given everyone a solo movie leading into JL, but a second Superman movie would have been helpful IMO.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm surprised by how cartoonish Vol. 2 got at times.
    Definitely not like the comic I read as a kid.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The reason these issues are overlooked in the Marvel movies is because of the entertainment factor of the Marvel films so far. Marvel has had garbage villains but fun and entertaining leads on screen. People and critics are willing to overlook CGI bad guys or a disposable army, etc if they enjoy the hero of the movie and if the adventure is entertaining along the way. DC is getting bashed because most people don't like the portrayals of the heroes so far with the exception of WW and apparently JL so far. A lot of the critic reception that I have seen so far ranges from the lukewarm to the positive side with the main reasons for liking JL is the actual team.

and it should never be the case because marvel is ''entertaining'' things like these are the reason simon pegg once said comic films are dumbing down the industry ...especially now that they dont treat then equally.

lets all face it, the press and critics was never going to like DC fully, infact i think they regretted praising wonder woman, see how the critics all came out strong for homecoming and thor 3 that are mediocre movies, that was done to keep DC in check and to make sure dc stand no threat to marvel even with the success of wonder woman.

from the reviews, the content of JL reviews seems more in line with GOTG 2 at least and that movie got a pass. JL is not. what proof again do we need to see the bias is real.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    There is no OG Synder version because he left halfway through production because his daughter died. Wheadon was brought in to pick up the reins since there wasn't a director to finish up the film.
    Whedon was brought during post production. Editing the film. Reshoots. Added tiny bits to an already scripted and shot film. Removed parts as well. There is a version of the film Snyder envisioned.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Lol Ben reminds me so much of Bats haha trying to keep straight. Ahh love the cast!

Wonder where the reviewer who said Gal looked sad in JL because deep down she didn't wanna be there and knew it was a mess... (Yup that's how bad they are).
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post

dont forget Drax Ginormous turds . Thats some high leel humor there

I know i dont give tthis impression, but im no MCU hater, i usually enjoy tttheir entries, but they usually dont hvae much re wacth value for me . And is obvious at this point that their flaws tend to be overlooked . Lest say that a MCU movie succeds if it entertained you enough, fine, but looks like the DC entries have the pressure to be the goodfather

Quote Originally Posted by RudHao View Post
    At the very least Kalibak is more recognizable than Steppenwolf, i recall seeing him in several episodes of Superman TAS, Justice League, and JLU, anyone who grew up on the DCAU and is an adult now should recognize him... though admitedly I recall him being kind of a chump...

Steppenwolf on the other hand?, has he ever appeared outside of comics?
    There's simply no excuse for going Fourth World and not using Darkseid. It's the freaking Justice League. They need a real challenge. Not a c-list New Gods character. If you're going New Gods you don't go Steppenwolf, Kalibak, Desaad, Kanto, Granny Goodness or anyone else but DARKSEID.

I was very clear that I LOVED this movie and I gave it the highest rating in the poll but as worried friends have asked me, "What about the villain?" (Or CG. Or plot/story/narrative) I found myself answering in the negative. And whenever they asked me those questions I had to say that all those things were actually quite bad or just forgettable but it was still my favorite superhero movie because of the characters, their interactions, and the incredible amount of fan service.

This is what I've been wanting from DC movies since at least Batman (1989) and it's the first time ever that we've gotten it. It made me so excited to see these characters again and I will see it on the big screen as often as possible.

Objectively, The Dark Knight is my favorite superhero movie but subjectively, accounting for the thing that was missing from all prior DC films, that fan service thing that makes you go, "I can't believe I'm seeing this nostalgic scene in such glorious live action" is there over and over and over and over again. And Affleck was right when he said the best parts hadn't been spoiled by trailers.

Pretty much every good part of BvS was spoiled by trailers but here they ran so many trailers for a 2 hour movie and still all the best surprises remained that: surprises.

This is the movie *I* have been waiting for my whole life. That obviously does not translate to a high critic score and now I get a taste of what BvS lovers felt. Except that they seemed to really care about the bashing of the movie while I don't care that people bash JL. It doesn't affect my enjoyment in the least. I'm still going back to see it over and over again and it will remain my favorite because it has everything I've always wanted but that's always been sort of missing.

My ONLY concern about the reviews is what they mean for the future. I finally get the movie I've wanted forever, the movie makes fans SO eager to see them together again, and maybe the result is that they don't follow up on what makes this movie great.

The second post-credit scene was incredibly exciting if you believe they'll make another JL film. I'm hoping against hope they are so we can see that followup. But more than anything I just want to see them show enough bravery to continue with this incredibly satisfying path. Any regular reader here knows how deeply I disliked BvS. But I loved JL about 100 times more than I disliked BvS. In fact it almost made me appreciate BvS since it felt like it was maybe necessary to getting JL.

I only wish the reviews were better so they'd keep going and keep going according to what worked so well about JL. If not, I'll just buy it (I will either way) and watch it a million times instead of bogging down on things that are utterly out of my control.

Critics be damned. This is still an A+ from me. I can't imagine loving a superhero movie more than I did this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    What movie did you see? Loki didn’t get fat or lazy. He’s always been the kind of character to play both sides and do whatever he believes was in his own advantage. And in that moment he believed it was in his best interest to gain the favor and trust of the Grandmaster. That’s kind of Loki’s whole thing. He’s a manipulator. But then he proves himself by going to fight alongside his brother and the other Asgardians against Hela on the bridge.

And the whole movie was dedicated to Thor trying to find a way home to help his people, with multiple escape attempts and trying to get Valkyrie to help him. And of course there was also the whole plot point of Thor figuring out how to be Thor without Mjolnir. Just because they poked a little fun at it doesn’t mean it was something that didn’t bother him.

And him learning how to be Thor without a crutch (the hammer) is very much a sign that he’s ready to be king. That, and also the fact that he did make a sacrifice. He sacrificed the realm of Asgard itself. He came to the realization that Asgard is a people not a place and made the necessary sacrifice to defeat Hela.

All of these things are what made Ragnorok a great movie
    He literally accomplishes nothing as Asgard's ruler but sit on his ass and make plays that parody The Dark World. He doesn't apparently add any policies, he doesn't try to conquer anything, he just sits on his ass, eats and lolzs at Thor while Thors gone. What the hell happened? Where's the guy with the ambition? Where's the guy who had the makings of a king? He's a joke, an directionless joke like his comic counterpart who's fine with with letting Asgard burn but then Thor out trolls him and suddenly Loki cares enough to go save it?

Thor realizing he can go Super Saiyan does not make you ready to be a king, the point of Thor 1 and Dark World is that to be a king means doing more shit then having the biggest stick and knowing how to swing it. It's about sometimes needing to be manipulative and awful to your own people, Thor is not king material because he lacks some of Odin and Loki's cruelty, the movie WOULD make a case for Thor learning something if he had to sacrifice some of the people along with Asgard but they pussy out and have him save basically everyone but Skurge in the final evacuation while Surtur destroys a boring planet the audience never cares for. And this makes him king worth? Really? In a movie that purports a lot of stuff Hela and Odin did to prove their authority, destroying your house with next to no casualties doesn't mean anything if you ask me.

Thor's learning to fight without Mjolnir is also no real arc, he goes Super Saiyan a couple of times when he gets pushed and that's it. There's no real learning behind his new powers, 90% of the movie without it he can kick ass just fine without it and when he's pressured, he goes Super Saiyan and beats the ass of the opposition. The only people who actually give him any difficulty are the scavengers and that's one fight out of how many in the movie?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Whedon was brought during post production. Editing the film. Reshoots. Added tiny bits to an already scripted and shot film. Removed parts as well. There is a version of the film Snyder envisioned.
    No, you are mistaken.
    Whedon did all that, too, but he also finished the movie that Snyder had abandoned.

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, you are mistaken.
    Whedon did all that, too, but he also finished the movie that Snyder had abandoned.
    no. he finished the film as in, finished editing, added his own touches, and did what WB asked him to do, yes. altered Snyder's original vision.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    no. he finished the film as in, finished editing, added his own touches, and did what WB asked him to do, yes. altered Snyder's original vision.
    Source required.

Snyder did all the principal photography for Justice League from March 2016 to October 2016. After this point, Snyder brought on Whedon to write new scenes and rewrite old scenes for the planned reshoots, which were rumored to have been studio mandated to lighten the film's tone in the wake of bad critical reception towards BvS and SS. Around March 2017, Snyder left production due to his family tragedy and Whedon was hired by WB to do the reshoots. How much was reshot/shot without Snyder's input remains highly speculative.