Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Wonder Woman is a deceptively deep film, which I didn't fully appreciate until I watched it again. There's a lot going on under the hood, from the nature of war, to open vs. closed societies, and its both obvious and subtle feminism.

Siddhant Adlakha over at Birth. Death. Movies. has done a very good job of articulating how much depth there really is to Wonder Woman once you start looking past the Hollywood blockbuster bells and whistles.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/06/...cting-idealism
    I agree. This review by Richard Brody from The New Yorker also sheds light on the often overlooked themes of the movie like the criticism of most religions tending to glorify war and violence as well as the shortcomings of isolation and segregation, even if it's in a utopia like Themyscira.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/ri...f-wonder-woman

I'd take Junkie Xl over Elfman or John Williams anyday. They've had their time & their sound is dated. Big mistake in using Elfman. Fine composer but not right for a 2017 super hero film.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I'd take Junkie Xl over Elfman or John Williams anyday. They've had their time & their sound is dated. Big mistake in using Elfman. Fine composer but not right for a 2017 super hero film.
    It's not like Junkie XL doesn't sound dated. While Williams and Elfman sound 90's, XL sounds early 00's.

I just accidentally wandered into two passes for a screening in my home town of Houston Monday night at 7!!! So glad I'll see it before review embargo!

I'm in shock. I feel like The Flash just pushed me and ran away.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I just accidentally wandered into two passes for a screening in my home town of Houston Monday night at 7!!! So glad I'll see it before review embargo!

Cool news! Hope you enjoy the film.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Congrats, man! Insanely jealous right now! Hope you enjoy it!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Congrats! That's awesome! Have a good time.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's not like Junkie XL doesn't sound dated. While Williams and Elfman sound 90's, XL sounds early 00's.
    Junkie's Batman theme was a bunch... Of banging drums? A professional composer got paid for that?

I 100% take Elfman any day and we haven't seen the film many OST w/o context don't sound as good.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Look forward to hearing your thoughts! It's always better hearing fellow fans thoughts.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Completely disagree. If you like Junkie, thats fine. But Elfman and Williams are not dated by any means. Williams completely outdid himself on Force Awakens and I very much look forward to the Last Jedi. As for Elfman, I listened to JL yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The “Zimmer” effect is not the only way to score a superhero movie. If you want a strong score for a superhero film then it needs strong thematic material and not just effects. Take Marvel for example, for the most part Marvel’s scores are mostly forgettable because they lack coherent and identifiable themes.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 11-11-2017 at 05:41 AM.

I don't understand Williams dated or something. James Bond is evergreen just as Superman. The tunes are pretty much representative of the respective characters. Remix it and change it a bit according to the needs and it can work even now. To call Williams dated would be like calling Superman dated IMO. The theme can work just as Bond's. Why Spider-man Homecoming used something from the 60s theme too. Rejecting the past blindly is never right because one builds upon what has come before.

At the same time i love Zimmer too. His MoS is something which i hear regularly. Its in my playlist. In fact, i can't decide between Flight, MoS main theme and Williams as to which is my favorite. Rejecting the good work of present and unnecessary fixation on the past is bad too. I can't understand the hatred to Zimmer. It is something really great.

Junkie XL. I am not a fan of his work. Though it worked for the BvS film. The music shall suit the film or it will feel out of place. We shall judge Elfman on the basis of how well it fits the film. It may not be memorable on its own accord but if it fits the tone they are aspiring for i would have no complaints. Something like Williams or Zimmer does not happen everyday.

Personally, i wish the Williams score to continue. Its iconic and works well for the character. Use it like Bond. Zimmer's shall not be forgotten at the same time. Use it where it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its nice to see mostly positive reviews for the film thus far, but I agree this new, lighter approach is a little disappointing.

I liked that the DCEU tried to do something different than Marvel. I like that they tried to dig into the philosophy and mythology (in a classic, archetypal sense) and deeper meanings and motivations of these people, and how the real world would respond to their arrival. They swung for the fences. I gotta respect that.

Wonder Woman was a good film. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. But it didn't try to get too deep, with one of the most philosophical characters in comics, if not fiction as a whole. Im a little sad to see them give up this original attempt to say something with weight to it, even if they've largely failed thus far. I don't think the lessons to learn from BvS and SS were "Drop the higher intellectual bar and just copy Marvel, with easy jokes and good action pieces to distract from the lack of plot or villain."

Im not insulting any films here (especially since I havent seen JL yet). And it sounds like I'll enjoy myself when the family goes to see it. That's great, and at the end of the day that's all I need. But I cant help but feel that we might be losing out on something that could have been different, and in some ways, better.

Imagine if the DCEU could re-structure itself into a PG-13 shared universe of Logan style films; daring and thoughtful and emotional, instead of another humorous, light hearted world like the Avengers with a Snyder-style visual paint job.
    I agree wholeheartedly though I'll add that I felt Wonder Woman precisely pushed that envelope you're speaking of. It definitely treats the titular character as a god come to life and it showcases her struggles to accept humanity even for its darker side. The humor in the film was used sparingly but peppered in when necessary to bring some levity to an otherwise fairly serious story of the ravages of war.

But I definitely agree with the path DC chose as it was definitely a more bold direction to take, especially since Marvel essentially established "the" superhero film formula for success. They needed to bring something different to the table. Besides, "fun" doesn't always have to be funny or comedic. Wonder Woman was easily one of the best times I had watching a superhero flick, along with Winter Soldier and the Nolan Bat films.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Personally, i wish the Williams score to continue. Its iconic and works well for the character. Use it like Bond. Zimmer's shall not be forgotten at the same time. Use it where it fits.
    I like Williams score I just don't think I would want to hear it in the movie. Unless it playes during the DC Comics logo at the beginning so that you know you're about to see a Superman film. As for Zimmer's "Flight" and "What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World" fit better for this Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I like Williams score I just don't think I would want to hear it in the movie. Unless it playes during the DC Comics logo at the beginning so that you know you're about to see a Superman film. As for Zimmer's "Flight" and "What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World" fit better for this Superman.
    Use it where it fits. Completely forgetting this is not good. That's what i wish to say. This Superman is slowly growing. He won't be the same when he returns in JL. He died in BvS while accepting his place in the world. "This is my world. You are my world": these were his last words before he died. I am sure there would be some change within him when he returns back. Someone more confident and self assured then before. While Williams may not work something might work. Some cues or nods is good.

Tune before logo is a nice idea. I am with you there. All i am saying is that try to synthesize both of them depending upon the situation. It would be wrong to completely throw away one at the expense of the other. There is a group which says Zimmer's score sucks. There is another group that Williams is old. It shall stay in 1978.

I love both of them. And don't like both of the views that i mentioned.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-11-2017 at 08:44 AM.

If you want to use the Elfman or Williams themes during scenes that kind of evoke 89 and 78 Batman & Superman then fine, whatever, get your nostalgia pandering out of the way there, it'll at least make sense in that context. Making those the default themes for either character doesn't sit right with me, especially since Superman's new one is fantastic. The new Batman one from BvS where he sounds like an angry animal banging against a steel cage doesn't fit but you can easily rework it into something more heroic to show off unyielding determination instead of barely contained rage.