Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Maybe not. Dick Grayson is almost as well-known to the general audience as Bruce Wayne, and I think the audience might be open to the idea of the mantle being passed on to a guy who has been waiting in the wings for decades.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    You may be right, but then again the only two live action Dick Graysons have been Burt Ward and Chris O Donnell and we've yet to see a live action version that would be perceived as cool enough to wear the mantle of the Bat. Maybe if the Nightwing movie is a hit we could see a version of Dick people outside comics can get behind, but that'll take a lot of exposure and establishing him in his own right.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I would hate this. That means we'd finally have a connected film universe without Bruce Wayne? No. I want Nightwing AND Batman. Just recast the thing with a younger Bruce Wayne whose timeline gets fused with the prime timeline in Flashpoint. Problem solved.
    Almost but with one MAJOR problem.

What to do about future JL films? I'd certainly like to think there will be more of them. But now we have a continuity where the JL wasn't formed until Batman was near retirement age. Just the Affleck casting means they won't be able to follow up JL with a sequel without rebooting the Batman character and that really stinks.

I agree it would be horrible to replace Bruce Wayne as Batman for the entirety of the DC film slate but I think they really do need to replace Affleck based solely on his age (leaving out other issues). How they do that and keep a Bruce Wayne/Batman in the JL after the character formed the group at the end of his career will require a reboot as soon as this one hits cinemas.

And I HIGHLY doubt Affleck is Batman in the solo film. I think we get someone younger and then they take over the cape and cowl in JL. It won't make any sense though for reasons above. So many errors in planning. NEVER should have had an end-of-career Batman in a brand new DC film universe. And what did we get in exchange? A guy that looks GREAT in the suit and that's about it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Is 45 years old really THAT old?? Ben Affleck isn't 75, he can make a few solid Batman flicks.

Largely the biggest problem is that BvS was a huge mistake and having Bruce come out of retirement or whatever to gangland murder Superman, is not going to age well. I think that should be ignored, going forward. It's a mistake for this whole, universe, of films to hang their hat on BvS. I'm hoping with the success of Wonder Woman, the flicks will start to feel diverse and different tonally and conceptually.

Batman can be recast if the need arises, without jumping through continuity mumbo jumbo. Matt Reeves can make his series of Batman flicks feel cohesive and true, he's a good director and I have faith that he can move these into a new direction (I believe Ben Affleck could have too, but I can't blame him for getting nervous after BvS).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-12-2017 at 01:24 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Is 45 years old really THAT old??
    As someone 7 years older than that... hell, no!

Largely the biggest problem is that BvS was a huge mistake and having Bruce come out of retirement or whatever to gangland murder Superman, is not going to age well. I think that should be ignored, going forward. It's a mistake for this whole, universe, of films to hang their hat on Zack Synder's stuff. I'm hoping with the success of Wonder Woman, the flicks will start to feel diverse and different tonally and conceptually.
    Actually, I would bet money that the films will be received better critically as the years roll along.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Is 45 years old really THAT old?? Ben Affleck isn't 75, he can make a few solid Batman flicks.

Largely the biggest problem is that BvS was a huge mistake and having Bruce come out of retirement or whatever to gangland murder Superman, is not going to age well. I think that should be ignored, going forward. It's a mistake for this whole, universe, of films to hang their hat on BvS. I'm hoping with the success of Wonder Woman, the flicks will start to feel diverse and different tonally and conceptually.

Batman can be recast if the need arises, without jumping through continuity mumbo jumbo. Matt Reeves can make his series of Batman flicks feel cohesive and true, he's a good director and I have faith that he can move these into a new direction (I believe Ben Affleck could have too, but I can't blame him for getting nervous after BvS).
    The age thing is especially dumb since CGI and costumes can be easily used to compensate for advanced aging. Why Hollywood insists that a guy get absurdly buff for a costume when he'll never bloody use it instead of a stunt double continues to baffle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I am kind of curious to see how audiences would react if we get the sequence from Flashpoint where Barry gives Bruce Thomas's letter, but instead of Affleck it's the new DCEU Batman actor .
    General audiences get first hand experience of a stapple of DC Comics: butt fucking stupid cosmic retcons. I know some people jest about this happening but the superhero genre is already marching towards creative oblivion by copying comics "death means nothing at all" approach. Introducing cosmic retcon idiocy has all the appeal of a snuff film for me.

If people can get over Thor almost murdering Steve and Tony in the first Avengers movie I think Batman will get some slack especially since unlike Thor he had the excuse of being manipulated

I really don’t think they will boot Affleck. He touched a boob, he didn’t rape anybody. He didn’t force intercourse on anybody. He touched a boob. Inappropriate as all hell, but certainly not in the same league as Weinstein. He should keep his hands to himself, but “sexual predator”? C’mon.

Also, the woman from the second video (sitting on his lap) has already said the vid is out of context. I think Affleck should be held accountable for not speaking up about Harvey (he had to have known), and people should be mad at him for that. I think the breast tweak is overblown. Bad, obviously, but not as bad as some are making it.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If people can get over Thor almost murdering Steve and Tony in the first Avengers movie I think Batman will get some slack especially since unlike Thor he had the excuse of being manipulated
    ...I don't think Thor went out of his way to kill Steve and Tony.

For Bruce it seemed like his whole mission was becoming about killing Superman.

...I don't think Thor went out of his way to kill Steve and Tony.

For Bruce it seemed like his whole mission was becoming about killing Superman.
    Steve would have definitely died if he didn't have the shield which Thor was not aware of when he attacked him with Mjolnir. Hell, he didn't even know shooting lightning at Tony would super charge his suit instead of what lightning usually does: kill people.

I'm pretty sure Whedon even commented on this fight, citing something along the lines of the studio twisting his arm to include a mandatory hero vs hero fight that he couldn't make organically happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Steve would have definitely died if he didn't have the shield which Thor was not aware of when he attacked him with Mjolnir. Hell, he didn't even know shooting lightning at Tony would super charge his suit instead of what lightning usually does: kill people.

I'm pretty sure Whedon even commented on this fight, citing something along the lines of the studio twisting his arm to include a mandatory hero vs hero fight that he couldn't make organically happen.
    I guess it just goes to show how much tone and style can change one's perception, since I just never felt Thor was trying to kill them anymore then whenever Superheroes usually tussle over a misunderstanding, while Bruce seemed doggedly and single-mindedly driven to kill Superman.

I guess it just goes to show how much tone and style can change one's perception, since I just never felt Thor was trying to kill them anymore then whenever Superheroes usually tussle over a misunderstanding, while Bruce seemed doggedly and single-mindedly driven to kill Superman.
    The MCU typically gets away with things like this all the time because of it's tone. There's a similar thing where Cap knocks a big ass metal canister hanging over Spider-Man that probably would've squashed him outright if he hadn't caught it which was a total crap shoot if he could do. But because Cap and Spidey are snarking you into an early grave, you don't notice that Cap almost kills Spider-Man.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I really don’t think they will boot Affleck. He touched a boob, he didn’t rape anybody. He didn’t force intercourse on anybody. He touched a boob. Inappropriate as all hell, but certainly not in the same league as Weinstein. He should keep his hands to himself, but “sexual predator”? C’mon.

Also, the woman from the second video (sitting on his lap) has already said the vid is out of context. I think Affleck should be held accountable for not speaking up about Harvey (he had to have known), and people should be mad at him for that. I think the breast tweak is overblown. Bad, obviously, but not as bad as some are making it.
    I think him not speaking out against Weinstein is the main issue here and may become problematic in the long run, but the ball is in Ben's PR people's court.

My preference is that Ben stays as Batman for as long as he wants to. I like him in the role, and barring any evidence of any Weinstein level behavior, he shouldn't be fired. At worst he's a douche who needs to keep his hands to himself, but that doesn't make him a criminal. I'd love to see him as Bruce for at least the Nightwing film, the Matt Reeves solo film and a JL sequel before he hands the role over.

Keep in mind though, counting his pretty prominent cameo in Suicide Squad, he's been Batman for three films already by the time JL is wrapped and released. That effectively ties him with Christian Bale and trumps Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney. If he wants to move on after JL or The Batman, I wouldn't be surprised.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    The MCU typically gets away with things like this all the time because of it's tone. There's a similar thing where Cap knocks a big ass metal canister hanging over Spider-Man that probably would've squashed him outright if he hadn't caught it which was a total crap shoot if he could do. But because Cap and Spidey are snarking you into an early grave, you don't notice that Cap almost kills Spider-Man.
    Kinda like the comics when you think about it .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I guess it just goes to show how much tone and style can change one's perception,
    It's why Clark in Superman II can get away with his handling of the Phantom Zoners at the end of the film. We all know they didn't fall down a water slide unharmed, but since the scene is light, we forgive it's Looney Toon-like violence.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Kinda like the comics when you think about it .
    A startling series of similarities I'm getting less and less enthused about :P