Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That is a good thing right?
    It certainly could be if it is in response to Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    To be clear, there is no one that wants JL to be more successful than me. That said, there are a lot of things "not normal" going on with JL - the most apparent one being Joss Whedon being brought in to finish the film. I do understand Snyder had a very sad personal issue, but I don't remember a major tentpole movie ever having anything like the directorial situation here. If the DCEU was 4 for 4, or even 3 for 4, with solid movies I wouldn't be worried at all, however these are many of the same rumors that swirled around BvS and SS. We'll see, but I think anyone saying don't worry is letting their fandom get in the way of common sense
    Remember, though: WB was willing to push JL back for Snyder, apparently for however long he needed.
    Snyder, apparently, is the one who insisted to keep JL in November and brought Whedon on.

As some of us have been saying, every little conspiracy/statement/response and however JL is received by critics, will all be blamed on Snyder, or Whedon praised for things he probably didn't have much say in.

What we know: JL already had a rough cut finished and shown. Snyder himself wanted additional scenes and brought Whedon in to write those as the Snyder family was going through their tragedy. Snyder then bows out and gives control to Whedon. Snyder chose Whedon, not WB. We simply don't know anything other than those facts/statements that we were told.

What I want to know is, who gets credit at the end?

Directed By:

Zack Snyder & Joss Whedon

?

Incredible Member

With this the first real introduction of Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash, how much of the movie is going to be consumed by origin? That's my only worry about them skipping the solos for those characters and doing JL first.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    JL reshoots might not mean something but I'm not gonna so far as to say it's nothing to worry about. During BvS and Suicide Squad, everyone ignored potential warning signs and stayed in a safe space that the movie was doing great behind the scenes. I'm not saying to panic but heavy reshoots can go either way. Lets hope Whedon does a good job
    I just hope WB isn't screwing this up, like they did with BvS and SS. Hope they have learned their lesson there...
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    With this the first real introduction of Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash, how much of the movie is going to be consumed by origin? That's my only worry about them skipping the solos for those characters and doing JL first.
    I don't think they need to explore that in detail. Just a few scenes/sentences should be enough. Consider ensemble films, it's not like we know the backstory of each character in detail (HP franchise is a good example. They built it up over several films).

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Aquaman and Mera's story will be told soon in the AQUAMAN solo. For now they can just be the true rulers of a magical underwater nation. The Flash can be explained in a few sentences. Cyborg, we may see the origin of since it involves a Mother Box and directly relates to the Stephenwolf fella.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-06-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I don't think they need to explore that in detail. Just a few scenes/sentences should be enough. Consider ensemble films, it's not like we know the backstory of each character in detail (HP franchise is a good example. They built it up over several films).
    Yeah, exactly. 15 seconds of dialogue is all you need right now for each character. "I was hit by a bolt of lightning, and next thing I knew I was the fastest man alive." "My father once loved a Queen from the sea." Etc.

All they have to do is a quick intro and off they go. Their personal character growth can be saved for their future solos (I know the trailer shows Barry at the prison meeting with Henry, but I have a feeling the scene will be brief). One thing DC has over Marvel is character recognition. Everyone knows Thor now, but he needed a film to tell the audience who he was, and what he could do. The Flash runs really fast. Everyone already knows that. So anything else he does in the movie is just icing. Cyborg is the one who will get the most backstory, if I had to guess. He's the unknown guy to general audiences. And though people might think Aquaman only talks to fish, they know about him and know he lives in the water. The general public was mostly clueless on Iron Man before his first film came out. In this area, I think DC is on the right track. Solos aren't needed first.

Plus, I like that DC is going in a different direction than Marvel. We learn about the team as the heroes do. Batman only knows Aquaman from what he's read/heard, so we'll learn a little about him as Batman does. But when the world is on the line, they can bond and become buddies later. Right now, we need the Fastest Man Alive, and oh hey, here he is. If that makes sense.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I just hope WB isn't screwing this up, like they did with BvS and SS. Hope they have learned their lesson there...
    The thing is that WB screwed up the theatrical release of BvS... but while much better the BvS extended cut still suffered from the same general problems that made people dislike the theatrical release. That is on the director and the script. You can't blame WB for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    To be clear, there is no one that wants JL to be more successful than me. That said, there are a lot of things "not normal" going on with JL - the most apparent one being Joss Whedon being brought in to finish the film. I do understand Snyder had a very sad personal issue, but I don't remember a major tentpole movie ever having anything like the directorial situation here. If the DCEU was 4 for 4, or even 3 for 4, with solid movies I wouldn't be worried at all, however these are many of the same rumors that swirled around BvS and SS. We'll see, but I think anyone saying don't worry is letting their fandom get in the way of common sense
    To be fair, we have no idea how common it is for big movies to bring in new directors late in the game to patch up troubled productions, as those sort of things usually go uncredited. The only reason we know about it this time is that Whedon is a big name, especially with his Avengers-credentials, and will generate some healthy buzz. Still, I agree that it's not a good sign, and while it might turn out that Snyder's and Whedon's strengths compliment each other there's also a risk of it not working out at all.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    The thing is that WB screwed up the theatrical release of BvS... but while much better the BvS extended cut still suffered from the same general problems that made people dislike the theatrical release. That is on the director and the script. You can't blame WB for everything.
    True...although I do find at least some of those issues...as non-issues.

One of the things I didn't like - Killing Superman off this early. I understand Snyder's reasons, but I do wonder if it was actually his decision. We all know how badly WB wanted to adapt that story line, so I wouldn't be surprised if they encouraged him to pursue it.

Anyways, BvS, despite its flaws setup a solid foundation to work with.....and I hope they can do something amazing with it.

The problem is not just people taking seriously a rumor started by Batman-On-Film. The real problem is clickbait sites doing articles about that. And by the way, is it just me or anyone else here thinks it's funny how these sites always have "sources" inside Warner Bros, but NOBODY have sources inside Disney, Fox, Sony, etc?
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Dialogue can clear more up than you think. It has been done and can be done. BUT, this is why I think BvS and JL should be a saga. BvS should have had parts 1 & 2 and JL should feed into a sequel given the facts that WB/Snyder/Johns are proceeding this way.

But, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    The problem is not just people taking seriously a rumor started by Batman-On-Film. The real problem is clickbait sites doing articles about that. And by the way, is it just me or anyone else here thinks it's funny how these sites always have "sources" inside Warner Bros, but NOBODY have sources inside Disney, Fox, Sony, etc?
    Agreed.
    It's always a debacle when the DCEU has re-shoots.
    It's always rumored that every DCEU movie is messy (I loved Patty Jenkins's response to that)
    It's always a big conspiracy about the DCEU, one way or another.

Notice we don't have these problems with WB's other properties.
    And the DCEU is a solid 2/4. Man of Steel is a great movie as far as I'm concerned. Wonder Woman was a homerun.
    BvS is mixed, I liked it but I can see where others didn't. The only real mess was Suicide Squad.

So, it's clear there is either a person, or some people who are trying to ruin the DCEU. Or at least take pleasure or are paid to drum up negative news about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Dialogue can clear more up than you think. It has been done and can be done. BUT, this is why I think BvS and JL should be a saga. BvS should have had parts 1 & 2 and JL should feed into a sequel given the facts that WB/Snyder/Johns are proceeding this way.

But, that's just me.
    It's not just you; I've been saying this all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    It's always a debacle when the DCEU has re-shoots.
    It's always rumored that every DCEU movie is messy (I loved Patty Jenkins's response to that)
    It's always a big conspiracy about the DCEU, one way or another.

Notice we don't have these problems with WB's other properties.

So, it's clear there is either a person, or some people who are trying to ruin the DCEU. Or at least take pleasure or are paid to drum up negative news about it.
    Anyone refusing to see the pattern here is just being naive or obtuse on purpose.

For example, take Batman-On-Film. A site run by someone who is admittedly a Snyder/DCEU hater. A site with a history of making up rumors to damage the DCEU's reputation. A site that almost no one takes seriously, except its half dozen followers. But other sites are running with their rumors as confirmed news. FOR GOD'S SAKE!
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

BANNED

There's one thing I should add about dialogue: it's a double edged sword. Sure, it's all that's really needed sometimes to help us understand how we got from point A to point B, but it's almost impossible to please everyone with it. It doesn't bother me often but I do understand complaints about movies having too much exposition.