Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    So long as Rogue One can be counted as action/fantasy, I doubt it lol, but if not, hmm, I can see that.
    Both of star wars female led movies broke a billion, I guess if you count Frozen.. But aa far as a live action female protagonist then I think The Hunger Games series is one of the closest we'll get. I don't think WW will break a billion in her first go. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    only a few more days till wonder woman. can not wait.
    Days?! More like an eternity...
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Days?! More like an eternity...
    3 weeks is too long! Also there are giant WW banners hanging from NYC apparently. But people are still writing articles about lack of promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    Both of star wars female led movies broke a billion, I guess if you count Frozen.. But aa far as a live action female protagonist then I think The Hunger Games series is one of the closest we'll get. I don't think WW will break a billion in her first go. But we'll see.
    Star Wars is a money machine, so it's not surprising. We'll just see how it goes for WW. I just hope the movie isn't butt.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Of course, I am not talking about all reviewers here, just a portion. How large/small? I am not sure, but one thing I know is that there are people who are heavily biased against Snyder and his films.
    That's surely true. If a critic (or anyone) sees several films by a director and hates them all that person is going to develop a bias against that director. It's the same with actors, writers, musicians, all artists.

I love Bob Dylan. Do I have a Bob Dylan bias if I've listened to all of his songs and loved 99% of them? Or did Bob Dylan earn my appreciation?

Every critic carries with them feelings about directors based on their past work. That's not bias; it's human nature.

I don't like it when Don Didio writes DC Comics. Even if I love the character I'm not buying a comic book that he wrote. I developed that position after buying and reading a LOT of Didio written comics. Is that a bias? And, if it is, isn't a reasonable one?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    That's surely true. If a critic (or anyone) sees several films by a director and hates them all that person is going to develop a bias against that director. It's the same with actors, writers, musicians, all artists.

I love Bob Dylan. Do I have a Bob Dylan bias if I've listened to all of his songs and loved 99% of them? Or did Bob Dylan earn my appreciation?

Every critic carries with them feelings about directors based on their past work. That's not bias; it's human nature.

I don't like it when Don Didio writes DC Comics. Even if I love the character I'm not buying a comic book that he wrote. I developed that position after buying and reading a LOT of Didio written comics. Is that a bias? And, if it is, isn't a reasonable one?
    Those aren't really good comparisons tbh. You as a consumer are fully supposed to discriminate against the product you are buying based on previous experience, because you are paying for it. However, it's a movie reviewer's job to approach each film objectively though, free from previous biases. Critics, other than the smaller bloggers, don't even really pay for the screenings, and since it's a job they actually get paid for, it's not a waste of their time either. So it would be pretty unreasonable to go in with a completely negative attitude into a new movie just based on their opinion of the director's previous movies.

Having said that, I don't think critics were as unfairly harsh with Snyder as some people claim. Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen are all positive on Rotten Tomatoes, and Man of Steel is mixed.

I'm not surprised that many critics aren't fond of Snyder. The dude is just a divisive director in general. If I were a critic on RT, I'd probably pan most of his movies. Hell, I personally think Michael Bay has a FAR superior filmography to Snyder. I still wish I could erase my memory of Sucker Punch. Snyder's best flicks are Dawn of the Dead and 300. Dawn of the Dead was pretty much a remake of a far superior movie and 300 was solid for what it was and actually fits Snyder's strengths which (in my opinion) is not Superman or DC superheroes

I'm already expecting JL to be similar. I just hope minimal damage is done to the DC brand after that and they can relaunch during the post-Snyder era.

Mighty Member

The Wrap has reported that Wonder Woman is projected to "Lasso 100 Million plus opening". That is a phenomenal number for it's first outing. And there is still a few weeks left to go, as marketing is ramping up.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    The Wrap has reported that Wonder Woman is projected to "Lasso 100 Million plus opening". That is a phenomenal number for it's first outing. And there is still a few weeks left to go, as marketing is ramping up.
    Yeah, this is very good news, indeed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    3 weeks is too long! Also there are giant WW banners hanging from NYC apparently. But people are still writing articles about lack of promotion.
    I don't understand those complaints at all. Every time I hear someone say that I feel like facepalming myself into a concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I don't understand those complaints at all. Every time I hear someone say that I feel like facepalming myself into a concussion.
    At least it's good that people are this invested?

Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of it comes from a few DCEU haters who are just trolling as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Those aren't really good comparisons tbh. You as a consumer are fully supposed to discriminate against the product you are buying based on previous experience, because you are paying for it. However, it's a movie reviewer's job to approach each film objectively though, free from previous biases. Critics, other than the smaller bloggers, don't even really pay for the screenings, and since it's a job they actually get paid for, it's not a waste of their time either. So it would be pretty unreasonable to go in with a completely negative attitude into a new movie just based on their opinion of the director's previous movies.

Having said that, I don't think critics were as unfairly harsh with Snyder as some people claim. Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen are all positive on Rotten Tomatoes, and Man of Steel is mixed.
    Confuzzled pretty much answered it. It's their job to try and be objective and review each movie based on its merits, rather than based on their opinions of the creatives involved or their previous works.

Considering they get paid for doing all this - no, it's not unreasonable to expect them to be more objective. I realize it's impossible to completely ignore your biases, but come on, at least try to do so.

And, it's not limited to movie reviews. It should be expected of anyone involved in reviewing anything, in a professional capacity - from movies to restaurants.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'm not surprised that many critics aren't fond of Snyder. The dude is just a divisive director in general. If I were a critic on RT, I'd probably pan most of his movies. Hell, I personally think Michael Bay has a FAR superior filmography to Snyder. I still wish I could erase my memory of Sucker Punch. Snyder's best flicks are Dawn of the Dead and 300. Dawn of the Dead was pretty much a remake of a far superior movie and 300 was solid for what it was and actually fits Snyder's strengths which (in my opinion) is not Superman or DC superheroes

I'm already expecting JL to be similar. I just hope minimal damage is done to the DC brand after that and they can relaunch during the post-Snyder era.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think of Sucker Punch?

I think he was mainly limited by the studio itself (they didn't allow him to make the r rated version, like he originally wanted)...and in the end, the movie was a little too ambitious with everything it tried.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Excellent!

And we still have three more weeks of advertising to go. Plenty of time to drive those numbers up even higher.

And if WB really does lift the embargo a full week before release and the reviews are largely good, that'll drive those numbers up for sure.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

That's an okay opening
    not as bad as the initial 80m prediction
    it should make at least 200m domestic and maybe 250m+ internationally
    so somewhere between 450m and 500m WW when the run ends.