Page 11 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521611115111011 ... LastLast

I'm sorry if someone has said this since I haven't read all the pages, but as for the lack of films in the DCCU at the moment as well as little news I think people tend to forget it was the same with Marvel. Right now we are 1 year into the DCCU with 1 movies and a Man of Steel 2 sequel announced with a release date and a Justice League movies in the works. We will be getting the next film in 2 more years. 1 year into the MCU we had 2 films, but if you take out that Tony Start scene then Incredible Hulk does not feel like an MCU film at all since it had so many of the normal elements taken out. So not counting Incredible Hulk 1 year into the MCU we had only 1 film and only really knew about Iron Man for sure. We had 2 wait 2 years for Iron Man 2 while we have to wait 3 years of Man of Steel 2. So I don't think DC in really behind in terms of having only 1 movie out at the moment and waiting until 2016 for Man of Steel 2 even though I was really hoping for the 2015 release date lol.

As for the dark and gritty tone I really light it. My favorite DC stories were always the darker ones so I love the new 52 and loved the tone of Man of Steel. I don't mind if some of the other heroes movies are toned down a bit just as long as it isn't too much. For the Flash movie I have always kind of pictured it being like how the Minute Men were viewed in Under the Hood in Watchmen. Hollis talks about how when costumed criminals showed up to commit crimes people loved it when the minute men showed up and it was a big spectacle. However when they showed up to stop normal criminals people would make fun of them and tell them to let the police deal with it. I picture with the Flash movie people loving it when the Flash shows up to stop the rogues, but then when he shows up to stop the average criminal people hate him. To me that could be a good mix of a dark and light toned superhero movie. Make it feel more lighter like a Marvel movie when he is dealing with the Rogues and everyone loves him then bring it down to the Man of Steel darkness when people are hating on him for showing up at a burglary by normal criminals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Yes, I see what you are saying, but all these characters (And their histories) are way more complicated than Star Wars or Star Trek (unless they limit the number of characters they are going to use..and so forth).

But, even then there are going to be problems (especially if they are connecting everything).

Look at Marvel for instance...few more years down the line, I am interested in what they are going to do. Are they going to reboot the continuity? They have announced that they have an outline for the next 14 years (It's going to be messy if it's all in the same continuity...that's asking a lot of the audience).

They also have to decide on the actors. Take Iron Man.

RDJ is Iron Man and Iron Man is RDJ...It's going to take a lot of effort to replace that character (actor fit too well into the role. From a writer's perspective, that's great. From a franchise building company's perspective, it's going to make things a lot harder further down the line).

Given all that, it's better not to connect everything and do a soft reboot every now and then (If you are building a multiverse, it's even easier...you don't have to worry much about continuity).

DC is doing what they do in comics - building a multiverse (it also allows writers to experiment with the tone...gives them more creative freedom....instead of just sticking with realistic, dark and gritty).

If they connect Arrow to DCU, Arrow writers won't be calling the shots anymore...Movie executives will (nothing wrong with that...but, Arrow writers are the ones that made Arrow a success, not the executives). I doubt they would have allowed them (writers) to use many Batman villains, if they were planning to connect it to DCU (Seriously...Batman just allows his villains to go into another city and cause damage? He doesn't do that).

Sure, we could say that Batman was busy...but every time? He was busy all the time?

In any case, why should DC connect everything? Because Marvel does it? That's a really bad reason.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I prefer WB/DC creating a Multiverse with different versions of the characters in movies and on TV as well. It gives them more room for creativity and less restrictions and the EPs of the TV shows can do their thing without having to worry about aligning with the movies all the time or being restricted by them (not being able to do the big game changing stuff thats reserved for the movies - something that Agents of SHIELD is enormously struggling with, particularly in the first half of the season)

And this way you can still connect everything without having to cram it all into the same continuity. Its also something that hasnt been done before. Marvel only has one shared continuity and universe, so far they havent dared yet to establish a whole Multiverse (Though they easily could by including the Marvelverses of Fox and Sony and establishing them simply as different Earths then the MCU - I would actually love that).

Arrow/Flash, Gotham, Constantine, the DCU movies, the Nolan films, the Burton/schumacher films, the Chris Reeve films and even TV shows like Smallville can all take place on their own earth and be part of a larger Multiverse. That would be awesome.

And then we can all fantasize about Tom Wellings Superman, Chris Reeves Superman and Cavills Superman meeting without blowing continuity to pieces in their respective universes

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Wilson View Post
    Who said I didnt. All I said was that the TV version already looks as good as a movie version to me on that artwork. Doesnt mean I dont want a movie version version as well (Of cpourse I do, there is no Justice League without Flash). It was simply a comment on the quality of the TV version. Why are you always so hellbent on turning everything into a conflict with me?! Just leave me alone.
    Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but if you want to just say things and not having anyone challenge you, start a blog. This is a discussion group. You don't get to decide who comments on your posts.

Personally, I think that if the movie folks can't make a better Flash than the TV people (which has been my position all along) then the movie people should just use the TV Flash.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Yes, I see what you are saying, but all these characters (And their histories) are way more complicated than Star Wars or Star Trek (unless they limit the number of characters they are going to use..and so forth).

But, even then there are going to be problems (especially if they are connecting everything).

Look at Marvel for instance...few more years down the line, I am interested in what they are going to do. Are they going to reboot the continuity? They have announced that they have an outline for the next 14 years (It's going to be messy if it's all in the same continuity...that's asking a lot of the audience).

They also have to decide on the actors. Take Iron Man.

RDJ is Iron Man and Iron Man is RDJ...It's going to take a lot of effort to replace that character (actor fit too well into the role. From a writer's perspective, that's great. From a franchise building company's perspective, it's going to make things a lot harder further down the line).

Given all that, it's better not to connect everything and do a soft reboot every now and then (If you are building a multiverse, it's even easier...you don't have to worry much about continuity).

DC is doing what they do in comics - building a multiverse (it also allows writers to experiment with the tone...gives them more creative freedom....instead of just sticking with realistic, dark and gritty).

If they connect Arrow to DCU, Arrow writers won't be calling the shots anymore...Movie executives will (nothing wrong with that...but, Arrow writers are the ones that made Arrow a success, not the executives). I doubt they would have allowed them (writers) to use many Batman villains, if they were planning to connect it to DCU (Seriously...Batman just allows his villains to go into another city and cause damage? He doesn't do that).

Sure, we could say that Batman was busy...but every time? He was busy all the time?

In any case, why should DC connect everything? Because Marvel does it? That's a really bad reason.
    Star Wars and Star Trek aren't terribly complicated? I disagree. But they do have a central person approving the narrative. That's all DC needs. And I said, it might be a little harder, but not impossible.

Marvel is indeed going to have to do something down the line, but in the mean time we're getting a really nicely fleshed out world that is much more exciting than a hodgepodge of unconnected stuff.

I'd buy into the multiverse angle if I was ever actually getting one really fleshed-out universe out of it. But all we see is little pockets.

As I've mentioned before, Batman's villains show up in other comics and nobody questions it - why does it have to be different for TV/movies?

And no, they don't need to do it just because Marvel did it. They need to do it because it presents a rare and exciting way of presenting the stories that people will flock to, something Marvel has proven.

Amazing Member

here is my idea for WB's cinematic universe.
    make gotham into batman year one for the first season then later seasons do batman.
    make a superman show, where he is starting out as superman. working at the daily planet and tie it in with MOS
    create shows for flash, aquaman, and wonder woman, and greem lantern.
    and make references to the character's existence in the different shows, but no crossovers. then at the end of the first season of the shows release a crossover movie in theaters. then pending on the success of the movie create more dc based shows, and movies. the trick would be setting the movies up so people who dont watch the shows can watch them, but making sure they tie into the shows. so they would basically be annuals.
    the trick is keeping the shows simple but cannon to the comics so it all fits in.

Quote Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post
    make gotham into batman year one for the first season then later seasons do batman.
    make a superman show, where he is starting out as superman. working at the daily planet and tie it in with MOS
    and make references to the character's existence in the different shows, but no crossovers. then at the end of the first season of the shows release a crossover movie in theaters. then pending on the success of the movie create more dc based shows, and movies. the trick would be setting the movies up so people who dont watch the shows can watch them, but making sure they tie into the shows. so they would basically be annuals.
    the trick is keeping the shows simple but cannon to the comics so it all fits in.
    I could definitely see this as a possibility

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post
    Thats the most unrealistic idea I have ever heard. You want them to do TV shows about their movie characters, connect that with the movies and keep it canon with the comics? WB is never gonna do something like this.

And Gotham wont be Batman Year One. There is no Batman yet, Year One would imply that its Batmans first year. And they already said that they will END the show by Bruce becoming Batman. Its an origin story, not Year One.

@GlennSimpson:

Whats with you and double postings? You always make double posts. Why dont you just reply to several people in the same post or edit the 2nd post into your first? Thats why the edit function actually exists you know.

Also dont say "I dont wanna be rude" and then follow it up by being rude. saying that you dont wanna be rude doesnt give you the excuse to then be rude. Also you have never challenged me. You only irritate me on a daily basis.

I wholeheartedly agree. I prefer WB/DC creating a Multiverse with different versions of the characters in movies and on TV as well. It gives them more room for creativity and less restrictions and the EPs of the TV shows can do their thing without having to worry about aligning with the movies all the time or being restricted by them (not being able to do the big game changing stuff thats reserved for the movies - something that Agents of SHIELD is enormously struggling with, particularly in the first half of the season)

And this way you can still connect everything without having to cram it all into the same continuity. Its also something that hasnt been done before. Marvel only has one shared continuity and universe, so far they havent dared yet to establish a whole Multiverse (Though they easily could by including the Marvelverses of Fox and Sony and establishing them simply as different Earths then the MCU - I would actually love that).

Arrow/Flash, Gotham, Constantine, the DCU movies, the Nolan films, the Burton/schumacher films, the Chris Reeve films and even TV shows like Smallville can all take place on their own earth and be part of a larger Multiverse. That would be awesome.

And then we can all fantasize about Tom Wellings Superman, Chris Reeves Superman and Cavills Superman meeting without blowing continuity to pieces in their respective universes
    That actually would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Star Wars and Star Trek aren't terribly complicated? I disagree. But they do have a central person approving the narrative. That's all DC needs. And I said, it might be a little harder, but not impossible.

Marvel is indeed going to have to do something down the line, but in the mean time we're getting a really nicely fleshed out world that is much more exciting than a hodgepodge of unconnected stuff.

I'd buy into the multiverse angle if I was ever actually getting one really fleshed-out universe out of it. But all we see is little pockets.

As I've mentioned before, Batman's villains show up in other comics and nobody questions it - why does it have to be different for TV/movies?

And no, they don't need to do it just because Marvel did it. They need to do it because it presents a rare and exciting way of presenting the stories that people will flock to, something Marvel has proven.
    Perhaps; I am not much knowledgeable about either of those.

I never said it was impossible...just said it would be messy, and more work further down the line.

Yes, I would love a really fleshed out universe (Earth 1 or Earth Prime)..and I think that's what we are going to get with MOS and the sequels (BvS and JL movie).

They don't need to connect it to Arrowverse to flush it out...they can do that with the other movies.

It's not as easy as that...in comics, you can always retcon everything....not all villains in Arrow are awesome (or as Badass) as their comic counterparts (Count Vertigo....Deadshot? Although Deadshot's character is improving).

The problem is that they would have to use that specific version of the character (if they were to connect...and they probably would have to get the same actors to play it. Well, they don't have to, but I can imagine all the outcries if they don't, especially if it's an important character).

How is it rare if your competitor does it?

Yes, it's a lot easier to just copy Marvel's strategy and improvise upon it...but, DC isn't doing that. They are doing it their own way....Personally I prefer that to copying.

Oh, and just because Marvel had success with it doesn't mean other companies will enjoy the same success.
    Last edited by Triple J; 05-12-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Delete this post..please.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Triple J; 05-12-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Making Justice League Not Terrible

I liked what this guy mentioned in this video. They could start a JL movie right in the middle of a fight, not introduce the characters right away (but, use subtlety to tell the stories...get the audience to make the connections you want them to make).

Note: this is a re-upload of an old video.
    Last edited by Triple J; 05-12-2014 at 08:03 AM.

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

Extraordinary Member

i realized something sad recently.

The LEgo Movie was Wonder Woman's theatrical debut

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    i realized something sad recently.

The LEgo Movie was Wonder Woman's theatrical debut
    It was also the most accurate depiction of Hal Jordan.

Batmobile reveal by Zack Snyder (Via Twitter).

Extraordinary Member

I'm hoping the suit is also badass.

BANNED

@GlennSimpson:

Whats with you and double postings? You always make double posts. Why dont you just reply to several people in the same post or edit the 2nd post into your first? Thats why the edit function actually exists you know.

Also dont say "I dont wanna be rude" and then follow it up by being rude. saying that you dont wanna be rude doesnt give you the excuse to then be rude. Also you have never challenged me. You only irritate me on a daily basis.
    I separate my posts into each person I'm talking to. There's no rule that says you have to combine. My conversation with each person is its own entity. What happens when a person wants to reply to only what I said to them? They'd have to go in and delete my quoted comments to the other person (like I had to delete your comment to Brenster21 in my quote). Nobody's charging by the post - there's no reason not to keep things separate.

I'm sorry if I irritate you, but as I said, the point of this forum is for everyone to express their views, and that's all I'm doing.