Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    This isn't meant to be a mean or pretentious question or anything. I'm actually genuinely curious...

Does anyone like the really dark tone of the DC movies so far?
    I dont think this word means what you think it means.

I dont think the DCEU films are all that dark. They're not happy and bright and full of sunshine and puppies, but "dark"? We're not talking Lovecraft here.

These films are simply taking the fantastical, high-concept characters we love and inserting them into a world closer to our own, where flying aliens who break all the laws of physics don't get global acceptance just because they smile and save a cat from a tree. That's not dark, its just not humorous.

Of the DCEU films, I truly, deeply enjoyed Man of Steel (flaws and all) and Wonder Woman (even if it was too safe). I think Suicide Squad was a solid "C" and I think the ideas they were playing with in BvS were interesting but the title fight soured my stomach to such a degree (Im a huge Superman fan) that I cant forgive it.

The films arent as well put together as the better Marvel movies. They're not the same kind of cheap, empty popcorn entertainment. That doesnt mean the concept they're going for is bad.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

This isn't meant to be a mean or pretentious question or anything. I'm actually genuinely curious...

When the movie is actually good, yes. BvS was good, not great. I do wish there was more distinction (and distance) between Metropolis and Gotham, but oh well. The Dark Knight (because it counts, in my opinion) is the best at what the most recent movies tried to be.

P.S. It's really a moot question because the DCEU is moving past the "dark" tone after Justice League anyway.
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 07-27-2017 at 05:07 PM.

"Man of Steel" has a serious tone, but it's not really a dark movie.

"Batman v Superman" is a dark movie, but its tone fits the story being told.

"Suicide Squad" is a "fun" movie with some darker moments.

"Wonder Woman" balances lighter moments (first half) with darker moments (second half).

So, I think this perception that the DCEU only makes "dark" movies is totally unwarranted.
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 07-28-2017 at 04:11 AM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

When I hear the word dark to describe a movie, I think of dreary or even morbid like Saving Private Ryan. DCEU are mostly bad and overly serious to me.
    Superhero shows are trash

Spectacular Member Dominick1216's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    The last thing I want to do is take the director's words and look too deep into them, but I think it would make a lot of sense. Perhaps Billy is Kal's #1 fan (posters, toys, etc), or is saved by him. Then, with Superman as his hero, he gets his powers and wants to be like him. It could be a really fun movie with Superman showing him the ropes..."this is how you stop an out of control train", etc.

It definitely doesn't have to be an "end of the world", "the city is in danger" kind of movie. It could be pretty lighthearted but still have challenges for the heroes to overcome.
    Exactly. And like you stated earlier, Superman's presence might help people who don't know who Shazam is. I feel like he would be the only one out of the Justice League who would make the most sense to appear in a Shazam movie.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    If they have learned their lesson, they wont let their accountant talk them into shaving half an hour out of the movie and largely ruin it like it did BvS's theatrical version.
    I'm really curious how BvS would have been received if WB had actually released Snyder's version of the film, instead of the chopped up mess that made it to theaters.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my feelings would be for the film. I went from absolutely hating the theatrical cut, to loving the director's cut. If I had seen the director's cut first, without the very low bar set by the awful theatrical viewing, would I be as forgiving towards the film as I am now?

Clearly, the film still would have been divisive. The whole "Martha!" bit would still be rightfully mocked and the plot would still be pointlessly convoluted (although it would at least make sense now). I think it's very likely people would be complaining it was waaaay too long

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

As others have pointed out, I disagree that the DCEU movies are truly "dark."

I have enjoyed all the DCEU movies thus far because I just recognize and appreciate that DC is at least trying to do something different from Marvel. I don't think the movies are as "dark" or "joyless" as some make them out to be, and I find the stories quite enjoyable.

Now that said? I do agree with what some critics say: that the DCEU movies have been lacking a note of optimism and fun. As others have said "Too serious" may be the best description. The success of the MCU makes it pretty clear that fun and optimism are expected in most movies of this genre. Thus? It would be unwise to ignore this reality. The Wonder Woman movie was fun and optimistic and it has been rewarded with critical acclaim and box office numbers that have SHATTERED all expectations. Clearly, there's something there.

Now does EVERY movie have to be fun and optimistic? No. Batman movies, for example, are expected to be at least kinda dark. I don't think anyone's really advocating for a Batman movie that's basically a return to the Adam West (RIP) show. But for optimistic and hopeful heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman, it does seem like there's a certain expectation from the audience and a backlash seems to occur when those expectations are not met.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think so long as pacing is good and it's of quality stuff, people don't mind longer movies. 2hr and 20-30 minutes is kinda my breaking point to be honest. If it's longer than that, I kinda wonder if they just have superfluous scenes with people meandering lol.

Mighty Member

‘Wonder Woman’: Warner Bros. Plans Groundbreaking Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

With $781 million in global box office receipts, “Wonder Woman” has already broken records as the highest-grossing movie directed by a woman ever.

Now Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, wants the action movie to break another glass ceiling. Although executives haven’t commented publicly on their plans, they have internally discussed launching a formidable awards-season campaign for the movie, in the hopes of making it the first comic-book film ever nominated for best picture, Variety has learned.
    Source

BANNED

FB_IMG_1501204293654.jpg

I really didn't know that Midnighter was in the back. If they have future movie plans for him, then that's awesome. A lot of my friends in the LGBT community aren't aware of gay superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm really curious how BvS would have been received if WB had actually released Snyder's version of the film, instead of the chopped up mess that made it to theaters.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my feelings would be for the film. I went from absolutely hating the theatrical cut, to loving the director's cut. If I had seen the director's cut first, without the very low bar set by the awful theatrical viewing, would I be as forgiving towards the film as I am now?

Clearly, the film still would have been divisive. The whole "Martha!" bit would still be rightfully mocked and the plot would still be pointlessly convoluted (although it would at least make sense now). I think it's very likely people would be complaining it was waaaay too long
    I think the movie would have been better received but I dont think it would have really changed much in the big picture. Of course, I have no idea and am just guessing. And I have my own biases too, of course.

But I think it might've made a bit more money and gotten a marginal increase on rating sites but still not been rated totally fresh, or been seen as a real threat to Marvel's dominance.

And I dont know if I would have enjoyed it much more than I did. The title fight just kills the whole thing for me. Which makes me sad because I had enjoyed it up to that point.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    Really liked it but wouldn't feel right with Apes 3 being so good.

I can see Wonder Woman nabbing the awards for best score, bet original song or best sound effects. But best picture? That's gonna be a long shot. I expect Logan to be a stronger contender for that category.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I can see Wonder Woman nabbing the awards for best score, bet original song or best sound effects. But best picture? That's gonna be a long shot. I expect Logan to be a stronger contender for that category.
    Whoo, Logan was dope as hell. All those Western parallels...god damn.