Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I personally wouldn't mind a stand alone Red Son or Joker Origin film, but I'd rather see at least a MOS sequel Superman movie first. I honestly don't need a Superman trilogy. Just do a really good stand alone MOS sequel with Henry, Amy and that cast and then if you want to do a Red Son Supes film as a stand alone later, great.

As everyone here knows I don't buy the " lol DCEU is failing lol" narrative that it's detractors seem to push with every single news item related to DC comics movie news, but I do think doing these before at least doing another Superman solo is wrongheaded if true.

Again though, it's all rumor at this point.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

As a huge Joker fan I can say an origin story movie for him is a dumb idea
    I mean the Killing Joke is nice and all but even that had to break the flashback moments with actual joker moments.
    Oh and this will definitely confuse people since it won't be jared leto
    WB really needs to stop throwing ideas against the wall. You have good properties despite some critical failures. work with those and make them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful video.You misunderstand me. Cavill 's Superman is every bit as heroic as Reeves.In someways better.His Superman never gave up his powers to settle down with Lois.His is the most human portrayal of Superman.Humans doubt,question,seek guidance.We are hurt when we try to do good but people point fingers upon us.But he goes on and on.He left being Superman for like 10 minutes.That too because he saw that his actions even though selfless and with good intentions cause harm and suffering to others.Sometimes almost directly(capitol bombing).He is haunted by the deaths which were caused due to his actions.He gets advice from his ghost dad/psychological projection.It may appear absurd but is very much an advice of a humble farmer that trying to do good has consequences sometimes even bad.But with Lois he can get a semblance of relief.He is very much the ordinary guy whom i envisage as Superman.Just a guy trying to be good.
    He is humble.Working under a jaded overbearing Perry.A crusader of Justice(investigates Bat Vigilante in Ultimate Cut).
    I am from India yet i love it when he says at the end of MoS:I am from Kansas.He is human.This is his world.He rejects the bad of Krypton(Zod's intolerance) and accepts love(Lois).He embodies the good of both worlds just as Jor-El dreamed for his son.

The problem is these are obvious in Man of Steel but is somewhat lost in BvS. His scenes are shot as if he thinks himself to be a messiah over others.Remember the scene in flood a crying woman puts her hand in the air and Superman is hovering in the sky like a God looking down on puny beings.The shot is gorgeously composed and the montage of helping people is gorgeous to look at.But the heart appears to be missing.Superman is symbol of hope because as soon as you see that S you know you are safe.Whatever the danger Superman will protect you.He saves you and then gives a smile,a wink,a nod.He speaks to you and removes your fear.He asks if you are alright.Then everything is alright in this world.We maybe weak,small but we matter.

My 2nd favorite moment in MoS is when he saves the soldier falling from helicopter and asks "You Okay".You have very kindly presented this in the posted video.The most this came in BvS was when he saved the girl from fire in Mexico and brings her to her mother smiling(if you watch closely) but his smile changes into a tortured look.He was reminded of the ones killed in Metropolis battle according to the director.What is the point of having the name of Superman in movie and he be a cardboard cutout placed in some far corner of your yard?

There are perhaps two types of fans of Superman those who like him to be serious and those whose who like him to be cheerful.I fall to the later camp.But no fan of Superman can see the moment in Man of Steel when after Smallville fight he comes out from the wreckage and soldiers pointing their guns put them down and the general says,"This man is not our enemy" and not feel a bit teary eyed.I want this.Every fan of Superman wants this.Not a Superman who is forgotten in his own movie.Not a Superman who conquers the world in a misguided attempt to save it(Red Son).

Where is Man of Steel 2,3?After this DC may try something like Red Son.I want my Superman to be great again.Not just in front of the eyes of his fans but the people in general.Richard Donner's Superman inspired Patty Jenkins.Her film is bringing that same wonder to millions of children today.Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?
    I get what you are saying. But, the way I see it (and understood it) is that MOS is very much a film from Kal's perspective, whereas in BvS he is treated as an entity. His perspective is only shown in a couple of scenes, other than that, we view him from the perspective of the world (for from Bruce's perspective).

I am not saying that's entirely a bad thing (after all, the film was meant to explore the ramifications of MOS, Superman's existence and the world coming to terms with it).

As for Red Son, well I disagree that it was a misguided attempt..someone like Superman could easily unite our species (which I think is very much needed. We waste so much time and resourcing fighting each other because of some tiny differences). But, that's an entirely different discussion.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    A pair of solid filmmakers want to do a stand-alone movie about one of the most popular and long-lived villains in modern history...and fanboys think that's a bad thing?

This is why Hollywood doesn't listen to you
    The hell? Joker never had an origin so why make one for him? A lot of people wanna preserve that and how he was always just there. I guess you're the people Hollywood panders to lol.

Todd Phillips from Hangover fame screens solid to you? I understand the concerns. I love Scorcese and he's a producer for the upcoming Joker movie, but on the flip side, Nolan was Executive producer for BvS and look how that **** turned out.
    Last edited by Bukdiah; 08-23-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind a stand alone Red Son or Joker Origin film, but I'd rather see at least a MOS sequel Superman movie first. I honestly don't need a Superman trilogy. Just do a really good stand alone MOS sequel with Henry, Amy and that cast and then if you want to do a Red Son Supes film as a stand alone later, great.

As everyone here knows I don't buy the " lol DCEU is failing lol" narrative that it's detractors seem to push with every single news item related to DC comics movie news, but I do think doing these before at least doing another Superman solo is wrongheaded if true.

Again though, it's all rumor at this point.
    I kneel before manofsteel1979 from Planet Houston and agree.I admit I was a bit disappointed that MoS 2 was not announced in Comic Con.But then they are pretending that Superman is dead.Hard to pretend when you announce a sequel.I think it may be announced after Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I get what you are saying. But, the way I see it (and understood it) is that MOS is very much a film from Kal's perspective, whereas in BvS he is treated as an entity. His perspective is only shown in a couple of scenes, other than that, we view him from the perspective of the world (for from Bruce's perspective).

I am not saying that's entirely a bad thing (after all, the film was meant to explore the ramifications of MOS, Superman's existence and the world coming to terms with it).

As for Red Son, well I disagree that it was a misguided attempt..someone like Superman could easily unite our species (which I think is very much needed. We waste so much time and resourcing fighting each other because of some tiny differences). But, that's an entirely different discussion.

I am just petty that's all.General public seemed to dislike BvS. But Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck got a good response.Everyone said Warehouse scene was awesome,Wonder Woman's entry was awesome.There was no awesome scene for Cavill.

Superman just does not appear cool in this movie.A conflicted Superman was very off putting when i saw it for the first time.I liked it after subsequent viewings when i could understand some of the themes there.

Again i like this as an alternative view on Superman.I like him most when he is confident and decisive.He does appear somewhat incompetent being defeated and almost killed by Batman and finally dies at the hands of Doomsday.

Superman is beaten in the end of Red Son isn't it?So yet another time Superman is defeated.I don't mind a good film where Superman is beaten in the end.After all Joker in some way won at the end of Dark Knight.But then how many times shall i see this?

How is Supes the greatest hero if all he does is lose?

I am just petty that's all.General public seemed to dislike BvS. But Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck got a good response.Everyone said Warehouse scene was awesome,Wonder Woman's entry was awesome.There was no awesome scene for Cavill.

Superman just does not appear cool in this movie.A conflicted Superman was very off putting when i saw it for the first time.I liked it after subsequent viewings when i could understand some of the themes there.

Again i like this as an alternative view on Superman.I like him most when he is confident and decisive.He does appear somewhat incompetent being defeated and almost killed by Batman and finally dies at the hands of Doomsday.

Superman is beaten in the end of Red Son isn't it?So yet another time Superman is defeated.I don't mind a good film where Superman is beaten in the end.After all Joker in some way won at the end of Dark Knight.But then how many times shall i see this?

How is Supes the greatest hero if all he does is lose?

They sure did. To the tune of almost $900 Million Dollars.

Oh, wait.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    They sure did. To the tune of almost $900 Million Dollars.

Oh, wait.
    Pardon me but i tend to disagree.Sure it earned almost 900 million dollars but that was not expected.A film with Superman and Batman for the first time in history and that too fighting each other was a really intriguing proposition.They are among the most recognizable characters on the planet.Thus fans and an intrigued public came in huge numbers in the opening weekend,as it broke many records for the opening weekend.But it slowed down thereafter.I think it did not have much repeat audiences(I am not talking about fans).Compare that with Wonder Woman which has come out almost two months ago in a crowded summer and by itself earned 800 million dollars and counting.That is without counting Japan where it will be released on 25th of this month.

A standalone movie with Wonder Woman versus a movie with Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman,yet difference is about 70 million dollars.Yes there are a lot who liked BvS but it was not as universally liked as Wonder Woman.

An incredible initiative by a photographer where he chose 6 children with different diseases or handicaps and had a professional photoshoot with them posing as the members of the Justice League:

Visit the link below to see the kids' individual character posters and their reactions on receiving them:

http://www.fulltimephotographer.com/...Justice-League

My unsubstantiated opinion, based on nothing, is this: WB/DC does not want to cannibalize their own films with a "Mainline" Universe (DCEU) and a "Secondary" Universe. It doesn't make much sense...everyone loves Affleck & wants him to stay, but what if audiences liked a different guy in the role in a secondary universe better than Affleck in the mainline? I love Leto's take, but I recognize not everyone does...but until something happens, he IS Joker in the Mainline Universe. And like it or not, this interpretation sells a metric ****-ton of merch. But....what if audiences liked the Secondary Universe version more?

This creates problems, and is one of the things that led to the death of the George Miller 'Justice League: Mortal" project. The writers strike helped put it in the ground, but WB was also worried about putting out a competing Batman to Nolan's version. I don't believe for a second that WB is actually considering a 2-universe approach and I think Deadline has a bad source there. But, the Joker movie is moving ahead. Here's why I think that:

1. Michael Uslan. He purchased film rights for Batman back in the early 80's, and has been an executive producer on every Bat-related film since Batman '89 (even the animated films). If anyone outside WB knows what's up, it's this guy. I posted his Facebook message yesterday, he says "Scorcese & the Joker". The film is happening.

2. I don't think it will be a Secondary Universe film, partly for the reasons I list above, but also because of two of the pictures Uslan posted: one was the cover of "The Killing Joke", and one is a photoshop of Leto in the pose from the cover of TKJ. True, he showed pictures of Ledger & Nicholson also, and even a still from the film "The Man Who Laughs". But if he were just showing the "lineage" of live action versions & inspirations, then why not a photo of Leto from Suicide Squad? Why did he choose something related to The Killing Joke? I'll tell you why, and it's #3:

3. Batgirl. Whedon is working on a script soon that is said to take inspiration from the New 52 Batgirl book. What was that book about in the beginning? Barbara putting the suit back on for the first time & dealing with her PTSD from The Killing Joke. Perhaps the Joker movie will come first & tell the tale of how she was crippled. In fact, here's a fun thought:
    • Perhaps this is less a true origin, and more of a biography? Scorsese is involved, and he LOVES to do biopics as much as he loves mobsters. With Joker, he gets both. Think of "Goodfellas" , "Wolf of Wall Street", & "The Aviator"...those films all tell the story of a central protagonist throughout the course of many years, and sometimes decades. Perhaps this film will encompass "The Man Who Laughs", "The Killing Joke", "A Death In The Family", and end with him meeting Dr. Quinzel in Arkham? Perhaps it's even the reason for the pictures Uslan posted...we'd see Joker go from rags (like Ledger) to riches (like Nicholson), played by Leto. Scorsese loves this stuff. As for the director, well everybody complained Leto wasn't funny, right? Well directors are capable of doing different genres (see James Wan's Aquaman), and having a guy who does comedy might just help Joker to be funny.

4. Leto himself. We all know he was displeased with how his role was cut for Suicide Squad, and normally you could recast if the actor wanted to walk. But his image makes a LOT of money. To get him to agree on SS2 & Gotham City Sirens, it's possible WB went to him & said "ok, what if we gave you your own movie?"

Like I said, unsubstantiated & baseless, but these are the things my gut is telling me. Or perhaps I'm just hungry.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Pardon me but i tend to disagree.Sure it earned almost 900 million dollars but that was not expected.A film with Superman and Batman for the first time in history and that too fighting each other was a really intriguing proposition.They are among the most recognizable characters on the planet.Thus fans and an intrigued public came in huge numbers in the opening weekend,as it broke many records for the opening weekend.But it slowed down thereafter.I think it did not have much repeat audiences(I am not talking about fans).Compare that with Wonder Woman which has come out almost two months ago in a crowded summer and by itself earned 800 million dollars and counting.That is without counting Japan where it will be released on 25th of this month.

A standalone movie with Wonder Woman versus a movie with Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman,yet difference is about 70 million dollars.Yes there are a lot who liked BvS but it was not as universally liked as Wonder Woman.
    I didn't say "universally liked", I just disagreed with the statement that the general public disliked it. Two different things.

BANNED

I kneel before manofsteel1979 from Planet Houston and agree.I admit I was a bit disappointed that MoS 2 was not announced in Comic Con.But then they are pretending that Superman is dead.Hard to pretend when you announce a sequel.I think it may be announced after Justice League.
    If they've been trying to keep Superman coming back a secret somebody needs to get fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    If they've been trying to keep Superman coming back a secret somebody needs to get fired!

They require to get Superman in merchandise.It would be a loss if kids want a Superman toy after the movie and there is none.I am hoping that they have learnt the right lessons from doomsday and not spoil his reveal.
    They will always try to make Superman films.He is among the most popular icons of dc.Even after the debacle of Superman 4 they tried to make Superman many times.Since the coming of Geoff Johns whom they are presenting as DC s Kevin Feige the message coming out is they are making films that celebrate their characters.Red Son does not seem to fit into it.It might have been discussed but i don't think they are brave enough to do so and move ahead with it.MoS 2 appears to be a safer choice.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-23-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I didn't say "universally liked", I just disagreed with the statement that the general public disliked it. Two different things.
    Okay disliked may be wrong.Perhaps mixed response would be appropriate.Underperformed atleast from their point of view hence many changes in top order.It was atleast financially successful.Enough to go ahead in the universe.That they are deliberately communicating a lighter tone also indicates a mixed response.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Here we go again!!!

MATT REEVES "THE BATMAN" WILL NOT BE A PART OF THE DCEU

It's becoming obvious they are starting this separate imprint to DC movies to create alternate versions of characters so during Flashpoint they can choose which versions to incorporate into the future DCEU based on fan reaction.