BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Having not seen it I can't say if it is a masterpiece or not.

I do know what it is not though: a comic book movie.
    Well, the conversation was expanded a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    VERY few movies in history are true masterpieces.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Gerard Johnstone, writer/director of indie horror film Housebound, hired to polish the JLD script

http://deadline.com/2017/08/justice-...202157444/amp/

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and DC are starting over in their search for a director for Justice League Dark, but one of the aspirants, Gerard Johnstone, has been hired to do a polish on the script. He made an impression on the studio with his presentation, but what got him in there was his 2014 film Housebound.

The search to find a director to helm a darker version of Justice League — reportedly centering on John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Zatanna and Etrigan the Demon — will take a bit longer, though. Doug Liman left to do Chaos Walking, and while it looked for a moment like Andy Muschietti would be the man, everything changed when New Line’s Stephen King novel adaptation It turned in an outsized web reaction to the trailer, and from there it was clear that Muschietti and his sibling producer partner Barbara won’t be doing anything other than readying the second installment of the movie. It will pick up the group of clown-hunting friends when they are adults who return to Derry, Maine, 27 years later when the malevolent Pennywise begins killing children again.

Johnstone is repped by CAA, Key Creatives and attorney George Davis at Nelson Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    VERY few movies in history are true masterpieces.
    It depends on how you look at it. Robocop is a masterpiece for what it's trying to do. It's perfect. Batman V Superman on the other hand...

BANNED

Batman v Superman was a damned good Batman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Batman v Superman was a damned good Batman movie.
    I've never disagreed with that

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I've never disagreed with that
    Are you (and Rogue Star) an endangered species?

For me the best moment in BvS is Bruce serving coffee to Alfred. Always gives me the biggest possible smile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Are you (and Rogue Star) an endangered species?
    Depends. I feel like one when driving in certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It's a viscious cycle in that way though. You look at movies that are widely considered to be bad movies but have positive critic ratings, such as:

The Star Wars Prequels
    The Hobbit Trilogy
    Spider-Man 3
    Iron Man 2
    Thor The Dark World
    Prometheus
    Alien Covenant
    Quantum of Solace
    Spectre
    Cloud Atlas
    Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 and 2
    Ghostbusters 2016 (Certified Fresh)
    Age of Ultron (Certified Fresh)
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Certified Fresh)
    spoilers:
    Other well known films I would put on this list would be Rogue One, Jurassic World and Beauty and the Beast 2017)
    end of spoilers

You can't help but wonder what critics saw in the aforementioned movies and others I didn't list. Are MOS, BvS or SS any worse than any of the films I listed? I don't think so.

@bold
    Not every film I listed meets the criteria you stated a good film needs. There's a noticeable disparity.

Seems more like a popularity contest on the professional critic side, and detractors of a film will use a website's critic rating to justify their opinions about a movie. Some films get a pass, when they shouldn't. Critic scores for Spider-Man 3 vs TASM2 for example. While others are held to higher standards and have greater falls, than a comparable movie. The number of middle of the road reviews for both BvS and Age of Ultron, but AoU is certified fresh. Etc
    Pretty much, I don't give much credence to the so called critics, because some films seemed to be held at a higher standard, while others get a pass. So, the argument that is a film is good or bad because critics said so doesn't fly with me.

As far as BvS goes, it's not a masterpiece, definitely had issues, but it's still a great movie.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Whedon receives screenplay credit for JL

Director: Zack Snyder

Writers: Story by Chris Terrio & Zack Snyder, Screenplay by Chris Terrio and Joss Whedon
    Based on characters from DC Entertainment, Superman created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

Producers: Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder, Jon Berg, Geoff Johns

Executive Producers: Jim Rowe, Wesley Coller, Curtis Kanemoto, Chris Terrio, Ben Affleck

Cast: Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Raymond Fisher, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller

Action Adventure. Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.
    http://batman-news.com/2017/08/29/jo...writer-credit/
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Whedon receives screenplay credit for JL

http://batman-news.com/2017/08/29/jo...writer-credit/
    I'm sure he deserves it after his contributions. Also important to note that Zack Snyder is still listed as Director. There goes the "Joss is re-making the entire movie" argument once and for all.

Also of note? Henry Cavill gets second billing in the Cast listing! Pretty good for a guy who's supposedly only going to be in like a third of the movie!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Gal Gadot should have received the second billing. Cavill should have received the "and" or "with" billing at the end.

BANNED

BvS to me is a masterpiece in every way. Name another film that portrays a dark character study of two cultural icons in such a masterful way. It is engaging, intellectual, and visually stunning. The fact that people actually still want to call it a bad film is utterly dumbfounding to me. Maybe not their cup of tea, but BAD??? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Also of note? Henry Cavill gets second billing in the Cast listing! Pretty good for a guy who's supposedly only going to be in like a third of the movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Gal Gadot should have received the second billing. Cavill should have received the "and" or "with" billing at the end.
    To be fair what we have seen in the trailer covers less than 20 minutes of what is in the actual film. There's a whole 2 hours of footage that has not been shown yet. And as far as I know we don't know anything about Cavill's role, from what he himself has stated it's pretty big actually. He stated that Superman and Batman have their own dynamic together throughout the film.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

How does WB work? Why do they attach a producer to one movie (Scorsese), a director (McKay) to another and announce a few flicks that may or may not get made? Does a writer start 10 novels (He should work on getting 1- 2 done)? Maybe I'm a simpleton but I'd really like for someone to explain it. Or is Hollywood just a madhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    BvS to me is a masterpiece in every way. Name another film that portrays a dark character study of two cultural icons in such a masterful way. It is engaging, intellectual, and visually stunning. The fact that people actually still want to call it a bad film is utterly dumbfounding to me. Maybe not their cup of tea, but BAD??? That doesn't make a lick of sense.
    The Ultimate Edition is a good movie the theatrical cut is a mess and I blame the studio.