Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The oddly specific side effects of this Flashpoint will include Bruce de-aging by a decade or so and looking like a completely different person, whereas everything else will go back normal.
    At least it would probably fit with the proper DCU .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Given Affleck's self-admitted problems with alcohol and marital infidelity (not to mention his younger brother's own behavior), it shouldn't really be all that surprising that he's acted very inappropriately while drunk in the past, but I haven't heard anything yet that's even close to the depths of scumbaggery that Weinstein sunk to. Same with Whedon, whose apparently only guilty of being a bad husband to a wife who thinks you can get PTSD from being cheated on.

None of these guys are perfect, nor have they claimed to be. Both have been very public about their failings in the past and will no doubt continue to screw up on occasion as we all do.

Unfortunately, there's a segment of society, aided and abetted by media hungry for profit, that feeds on outrage and moral indignation. I'm not sure if the good will generated by the proud feminism of Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman will be enough to make a lot of movie goers put down their pitchforks and give Justice League a fair shake, particularly given how prominently featured both Affleck and Whedon are in the film.

We'll see how this plays out over the next month, but I guarantee you Geoff Johns and Diane Nelson are royally pissed right now.

I don't think it's going to have an effect as some of you guys think. Bryan Singer's pederast/pedophile ring controversy blew up just a few weeks before X-Men: Days of Future Past released too and yet its critical and commercial performances remained unaffected. And Singer went on to direct Apocalypse and now The Gifted.

In Affleck's case, it seems like a one-off groping incident 14 years ago (so far, though at this point I wouldn't be shocked if more stuff comes to light). It doesn't make it defensible, but there's a chance Affleck has reformed since then, even if he tried to hide it. It's up to how he and his PR crew handle it now. I doubt WB/DC will let him do many press rounds for Justice League. They'll continue to push Gal Gadot as the primary face of the franchise, which they've slowly been doing after Wonder Woman's overperformance anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The weird DCEU link is the woman he groped is Hilarie Burton the wife of Jeffery Dean Morgan DCEU's Thomas Wayne.
    And looks like Jeffrey Dean Morgan has a good working relationship with Zack Snyder because he's a repeat from Watchmen (Morgan played The Comedian).

BANNED

paging anyone in a cape

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    In Affleck's case, it seems like a one-off groping incident 14 years ago (so far, though at this point I wouldn't be shocked if more stuff comes to light).
    Sigh, turns out it wasn't a one-off incident:

Ben Affleck dubbed 'Buttman' as more groping allegations emerge

I don't think it's going to have an effect as some of you guys think. Bryan Singer's pederast/pedophile ring controversy blew up just a few weeks before X-Men: Days of Future Past released too and yet its critical and commercial performances remained unaffected. And Singer went on to direct Apocalypse and now The Gifted.

In Affleck's case, it seems like a one-off groping incident 14 years ago (so far, though at this point I wouldn't be shocked if more stuff comes to light). It doesn't make it defensible, but there's a chance Affleck has reformed since then, even if he tried to hide it. It's up to how he and his PR crew handle it now. I doubt WB/DC will let him do many press rounds for Justice League. They'll continue to push Gal Gadot as the primary face of the franchise, which they've slowly been doing after Wonder Woman's overperformance anyway.

And looks like Jeffrey Dean Morgan has a good working relationship with Zack Snyder because he's a repeat from Watchmen (Morgan played The Comedian).
    The accusations against Bryan Singer were by one guy who was quickly exposed as an extortionist. Affleck's problems are a little trickier because it's at least two different women now and, unlike Singer, Affleck has outright admitted his guilt, in addition to his public admission of infidelity. Whedon's issue is a little thornier because it's his still very angry ex-wife who's decided to air their dirty laundry in public because she was pissed off by his once unimpeachable reputation as a feminist.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with either of these guys, but moderation and thoughtfulness has never been the strong point of our media, who smell a feeding frenzy of outrage and righteous indignation and they'll be looking for fresh blood once the Wienstein story stops getting people to generate the revenue they want.

And Affleck's problems just got worse. Rose McGowan claims she outright told him to his face about what Weinstein had done to her and many other actresses, which contradicts Affleck's claims that he never knew about Weinstein's sexual misconduct until now.

One of them is lying.

Who do you think is more credible at this point? A movie star with multiple accounts of unwanted groping, infidelity, alcoholism and trying to cover up his family's slave-owning past or an actress who has been claiming that a high profile Hollywood producer raped her for the last year?

Sorry guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is looking like it'll be a god damned PR nightmare for Justice League that will absolutely affect how many people will go to see this movie. Frankly, I don't really blame people for not wanting to plop down money to watch Ben Affleck pretend he's a superhero if all these accusations swirling around him get worse.

It's a shame that Geoff Johns, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Diane Nelson and the rest will likely have their movie torpedoed by crap they had absolutely nothing to do with, but I suspect that's going to be the case here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/m...tein.html?_r=0
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 10-12-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Given Affleck's self-admitted problems with alcohol and marital infidelity (not to mention his younger brother's own behavior), it shouldn't really be all that surprising that he's acted very inappropriately while drunk in the past, but I haven't heard anything yet that's even close to the depths of scumbaggery that Weinstein sunk to. Same with Whedon, whose apparently only guilty of being a bad husband to a wife who thinks you can get PTSD from being cheated on.

None of these guys are perfect, nor have they claimed to be. Both have been very public about their failings in the past and will no doubt continue to screw up on occasion as we all do.

Unfortunately, there's a segment of society, aided and abetted by media hungry for profit, that feeds on outrage and moral indignation. I'm not sure if the good will generated by the proud feminism of Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman will be enough to make a lot of movie goers put down their pitchforks and give Justice League a fair shake, particularly given how prominently featured both Affleck and Whedon are in the film.

We'll see how this plays out over the next month, but I guarantee you Geoff Johns and Diane Nelson are royally pissed right now.
    It might be unfair to go after Affleck alone when many men and women knew about theese charges and all kept silent. Being part of this "Its what we do" group makes it hard for individuals to stand up for their neighbors. BUT there's no excuse for the groping
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 10-12-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

That Atlantean soldier looks so good. I'm loving the aesthetic they chose for Atlantis so far

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And Affleck's problems just got worse. Rose McGowan claims she outright told him to his face about what Weinstein had done to her and many other actresses, which contradicts Affleck's claims that he never knew about Weinstein's sexual misconduct until now.

One of them is lying.

Who do you think is more credible at this point? A movie star with multiple accounts of unwanted groping, infidelity, alcoholism and trying to cover up his family's slave-owning past or an actress who has been claiming that a high profile Hollywood producer raped her for the last year?

Sorry guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is looking like it'll be a god damned PR nightmare for Justice League that will absolutely affect how many people will go to see this movie. Frankly, I don't really blame people for not wanting to plop down money to watch Ben Affleck pretend he's a superhero if all these accusations swirling around him get worse.

It's a shame that Geoff Johns, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Diane Nelson and the rest will likely have their movie torpedoed by crap they had absolutely nothing to do with, but I suspect that's going to be the case here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/m...tein.html?_r=0
    I don't think it will have that significant of an affect, people seem pretty willing to suspend their moral hang ups for entertainment purposes.

However, if the movie doesn't do well, people will jump at the chance to blame it on Affleck. Personally, I'm conflicted on whether or not I'll be there when it opens, but deep down I know I probably will.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I don't think it will have that significant of an affect, people seem pretty willing to suspend their moral hang ups for entertainment purposes.

However, if the movie doesn't do well, people will jump at the chance to blame it on Affleck. Personally, I'm conflicted on whether or not I'll be there when it opens, but deep down I know I probably will.
    I don't know times are changing The Birth of a Nation was getting tons of buzz in 2016 then the past rape allegations of Nate Parker and his best friend and co writer of the film came to light and the suicide of the alleged victim I use alleged to be fair since he wasn't convicted but I personally think he was guilty and it torpedoed that film. Now the Justice League isn't going to be hit as hard as a more indie film also Affleck is a bigger star and many fans won't care also his alleged actions aren't as bad as Nate Parker's. But I do think this might hurt Justice League and this will possibly stop the film from being part of the billion dollar club which before this I would had said was almost a No brainer.

There's still a little over a month to go for the film's release so it's kind of premature to say this will have a noticeable effect. We'll see how Affleck and his PR team handles the mess in the coming days. WB may pressurise him to make a more elaborate statement/apology and he will probably be benched for most of the publicity rounds. Wondy/Flash/Aquaman/Cyborg will be focused on more and maybe even Lois & Clark.

They should also highlight and promote Amber Heard/Mera's involvement in the movie and future DCEU as people sympathize with her after the Johnny Depp incident.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 10-12-2017 at 07:31 AM.

They should also highlight and promote Amber Heard/Mera's involvement in the movie and future DCEU as people sympathize with her after the Johnny Depp incident.
    They may not want to go there, either. Amber Heard may not necessarily be the most reliable source. That could be just more PR spin though. Who knows?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I would not be surprised if Batman does indeed get recast sooner rather than later.

At one time Josh Brolin had been eyed for Batman before Affleck got the part. Depending on how things go, I wonder if WB may hire him even for maybe one movie or two to play the current older Bruce Wayne before using FLASHPOINT to recast a younger actor to play Batman? Brolin is likely done as Thanos after Avengers 4, and Cable may be a one off for Deadpool, so it's possible he might end up getting a call just in case.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-12-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.