Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Empire on the Box office forums saw Justice League, apparently. He said the movie is good and it will open huge. Not surprising on the box office front.
    I think that was the same person who said Wonder Woman was a "mess" and barely better than her DCEU predecessors, which caused a mild stir on Twitter before the official critical embargo lifted and the critics had a vastly differing opinion.

So if a non-fan like him found Justice League to be outright good, then that's pretty reassuring news indeed.

Also great to hear about the box office tracking.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think that was the same person who said Wonder Woman was a "mess" and barely better than her DCEU predecessors, which caused a mild stir on Twitter before the official critical embargo lifted and the critics had a vastly differing opinion.

So if a non-fan like him found Justice League to be outright good, then that's pretty reassuring news indeed.

That is correct. He didn't like Wonder Woman all that much. However, he DID predict that it will be DCEU's biggest hit, and he was pretty much correct on the domestic front.

I think the Extended Universe should go like this: Man of Steel, BvS and Justice League being the Superman trilogy. The Batman, The Brave and the Bold, and Justice League 2 being the Batman Trilogy. Flashpoint, Worlds Finest and Justice League 3 being the Flash Trilogy and so on. All stand alone movies like Shazam, Gotham City Sirens and Aquaman taking place in between the main films like Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad, to give depth to the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    That's literally not true at all. The response toward BvS was never a deciding factor in the outcome of Justice League and that's a direct quote from Charles Roven. Besides, it didn't underperform, it was a box office smash and set a world record for the biggest opening for a comic book movie ever. They cancelled JL part 2 before BvS ever came out.
    There's no excuse why a movie featuring the two most popular superheroes in history won't break a billion. The BvS reception was the reason they changed direction. If BvS made about as much money as The Avengers did, I doubt Geoff Johns would be running their movies now. As far as Roven is concerned, it's called damage control. If you want to believe everything producers and studio executives say publicly, be my guest.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-22-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I wouldn't say BvS underperformed (Green Lantern, now that was a DC film that underperformed) but it is arguable that it didn't perform as well as it could've given it was the film that teamed up two of the biggest superheroes for the first time - IIRC it did have a pretty steep drop second weekend.
    BvS certainly wasn't a box office bomb or anything like that. "Underperformed" as in performed below expectations.

Green Lantern's performance is the reason the idiots blacklisted GL from Justice League, BvS performance is the reason for the course correction. People can believe whatever they want of course and perhaps it's a moot point now with less than a month before the movie hits.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-22-2017 at 04:43 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    BvS certainly wasn't a box office bomb or anything like that. "Underperformed" as in performed below expectations.

Green Lantern's performance is the reason the idiots blacklisted GL from Justice League, BvS performance is the reason for the course correction. People can believe whatever they want of course and perhaps it's a moot point now with less than a month before the movie hits.
    No arguments from me. The studio heads panic even when they make a sizable profit on a film like BvS, because they need more money to make up for the other films that bombed.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There's no excuse why a movie featuring the two most popular superheroes in history won't break a billion. The BvS reception was the reason they changed direction. If BvS made about as much money as The Avengers did, I doubt Geoff Johns would be running their movies now. As far as Roven is concerned, it's called damage control. If you want to believe everything producers and studio executives say publicly, be my guest.
    Except it wasn't damage control. He was asked the question in an interview MONTHS after BvS came out. WB made no response to the reception to BvS. In fact Roven was VERY humble about it. He says they're looking at the current climate of films to see how they can adapt and continue creating beautiful and artistic films for the masses.

The movie was a major success, broke a world record. It exceeded their expectations. People are so high on the Marvel wave that they think every superhero movie has to make a billion to be a success and if it doesn't than it's a massive failure. Well it wasn't a failure, no matter how much you wanna tell yourself that, it was not. And either way, JL part 2 was put on hold before BvS came out, so your argument doesn't even matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Except it wasn't damage control. He was asked the question in an interview MONTHS after BvS came out. WB made no response to the reception to BvS. In fact Roven was VERY humble about it. He says they're looking at the current climate of films to see how they can adapt and continue creating beautiful and artistic films for the masses.

The movie was a major success, broke a world record. It exceeded their expectations. People are so high on the Marvel wave that they think every superhero movie has to make a billion to be a success and if it doesn't than it's a massive failure. Well it wasn't a failure, no matter how much you wanna tell yourself that, it was not. And either way, JL part 2 was put on hold before BvS came out, so your argument doesn't even matter.
    What expectations did it exceed? A movie that cost as much as it did having an 81% second weekend drop isn't "exceeding expectations", it's doing the opposite. I don't care about "the Marvel wave", I judge BvS on the fact that it was about Batman and Superman and dropped like a stone. I never claimed it was a "failure" or a "bomb" or a "flop", I said it performed "below expectations", which it did.

Nope, JL2 was certainly not put on hold before BvS came out, we started hearing about WB's reshuffling after JL was already filming. And if my argument really "doesn't even matter" why respond? Go back to your La La Land that everything somehow turned out as WB had originally planned.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Well, the press has now caught wind of the running time and the skepticism train is picking up steam.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/justice...143605905.html

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

To be fair, I do seem to remember rumblings that the idea of doing JL as a two part event was being reconsidered before BvS came out. No doubt, the reaction to BvS may have cemented that direction, but I think rethinking JL started to happen with Snyder himself. After all, he's the one who brought Weadon in to bounce ideas off of.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To be fair, I do seem to remember rumblings that the idea of doing JL as a two part event was being reconsidered before BvS came out. No doubt, the reaction to BvS may have cemented that direction, but I think rethinking JL started to happen with Snyder himself. After all, he's the one who brought Weadon in to bounce ideas off of.
    From what I recall, they said Part 2 was put on hold in order to supposedly fast-track The Batman, but that was after JL had began filming and I think shortly before Ben stepped down as director, though I could be wrong about the latter.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I think the Extended Universe should go like this: Man of Steel, BvS and Justice League being the Superman trilogy. The Batman, The Brave and the Bold, and Justice League 2 being the Batman Trilogy. Flashpoint, Worlds Finest and Justice League 3 being the Flash Trilogy and so on. All stand alone movies like Shazam, Gotham City Sirens and Aquaman taking place in between the main films like Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad, to give depth to the World.
    I really like this idea. It's a very cool and different way to do character arcs while all leading to penultimate third acts.

And regarding the JL Part Two stuff, I vividly remember them coming out and saying the plan was scrapped and that JL was going to be its own story with no part two. It will have a beginning and end, although that end *may* lead into a sequel, so to speak. This was all when BvS came out and JL had just begun shooting. So, not sure what to believe anymore.

DC needs a PR mouth for their films, very badly. After JL, we really need to see a slate, or need them to come out and say "there is no slate. The universe is only loosely connected as each film from this point will be its own, etc."
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 10-22-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

BTW, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going dark starting tomorrow. No more trailers, no more looking for news, etc. outside of general info. I will be awaiting the official run time, but that's it.

I went dark for Wonder Woman and ended up being very surprised with the movie (I learned my lesson after BvS's trailers and promotions).

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Or, maybe, he's a fan of the Quippers- I mean the Avengers, and JL is more like that.

Mighty Member

People should really take a closer look at the earnings of Suicide Squad and BVS before they say it, "bombed".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...K4NIv3brakSMSE

How DC Universe Movies Are More Successful Than You Think