Extraordinary Member

Plus Marvel heroes are very naturally quippy to begin with
    Yeah some are,and of course some are not but on average more then dc superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    So now you’re arguing whether the jokes were funny or not, and you’re defining what is a joke and what is considered humor?

Yep, I’m out. There’s only so much goalpost moving I can handle lol
    By the way what you guys are calling jokes is really humor more then joke humor.
    Ignore or disregard that comment.
    I was suppose to delete.
    I thought i did. I guess i got carried away to TRY win the debate at all cost like some of you guys.

Note -mcu tv shows on average is darker and more serous then dc and dceu movies and are stronger in stories and character development on average.
    The marvel shows are more serious and darker then dc shows.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-03-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the MCU does have an over-reliance on humor and jokes that they can sometimes take any and all seriousness and gravity out of the situation, but in the cases of Avengers and Civil War I think they worked for what the creators were going for and the overall tone of the film. But your mileage may vary.

Notice that the final fight between Cap and Iron Man in Civil War had virtually no jokes or humor in it.

Plus Marvel heroes are very naturally quippy to begin with, even before Iron Man became the snarky character RDJ turned him into. Stuff like "Puny God" and Hawkeye quipping during a fight are pretty in-character.

And I will always think Incredible Hulk (and the first Thor) are the underrated gems of the MCU .
    For me the parking lot battle was totally stakeless and had no tension because of all the jokes. Nobody's in danger, nobody's going to get hurt, because we're still friends right? You got heart kid! Remember that star wars movie with the elephant thingies? Anybody got any orange slices? Then it tries to convince me War Machine is really hurt shortly after and this was a serious fight. Then the last fight, which is indeed jokeless, happens right at the end of the movie for a reason pretty divorced from the central conflict in the film. And is seemingly solved minutes later with a letter.

I don't think those jokes you mentioned are out of character as much as they are kind of out of place in terms of the tension. A serious moment, a big triumph, an important conflict, turns into a trivial punchline all too often. I feel like I get cheated from the payoff, personally. Dispatching villains with humor cheapens them for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    For me the parking lot battle was totally stakeless and had no tension because of all the jokes. Nobody's in danger, nobody's going to get hurt, because we're still friends right? You got heart kid! Remember that star wars movie with the elephant thingies? Anybody got any orange slices? Then it tries to convince me War Machine is really hurt shortly after and this was a serious fight. Then the last fight, which is indeed jokeless, happens right at the end of the movie for a reason pretty divorced from the central conflict in the film. And is seemingly solved minutes later with a letter.

I don't think those jokes you mentioned are out of character as much as they are kind of out of place in terms of the tension. A serious moment, a big triumph, an important conflict, turns into a trivial punchline all too often. I feel like I get cheated from the payoff, personally. Dispatching villains with humor cheapens them for me.
    I disagree with this as well.
    What villain in civil war had humor?none that i remember.
    The problem at the end with steve and tony were not solved and steve is still on the run and the avengers team is split up.

Did anybody pay attention to this movie other then some folks like me?
    Anyway anybody remember the big battle scene in africa and other places.
    Where were all these jokes?

Yes there was more humor in civil war then cap 2 but the overall tone was really serious and similar to cap 2.
    The tone overall was more serious then half of the dceu films currently.

I bet civil war and doctor strange will be more serious then the justice league and aquaman films and black adam and shazam and flashpoint flash movies and most of the upcoming dceu films.The days of mos and bvs is over so get use to it or give up on the dceu.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-03-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

You know I think discussing the MCU in a DCEU thread is really counterproductive but I'll just say that some people really need to understand the difference between an superhero movie with comedy in it, and an action comedy. They're very different things. And really, I don't get this resentment towards comedy anyway. We all like it when superhero movies pull from other genres like Logan, The Dark Knight and The Winter Soldier. But why is it such a bad thing if Marvel decides to pull from the comedy genre? No one would say TDK is a crime drama and not a superhero movie, but Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy just have to be action comedies and nothing else. It's condescending and hypocritical in my opinion.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Sigh.

See this is the thing I'm talking about. Everyone can give the DCEU a chance to be overanalyzed, but there's this stigma attached to the MCU movies that they aren't that deep or seriously.

The airport battle in Civil War IS NOT MEANT TO BE SERIOUS. Anyone who was paying attention can see that. It's not like they were fighting because they hated each other so much and wanted to kill each other like in the comics. Iron Man's team was trying to bring Cap's team in, and Cap's team was trying to escape and get on the quinjet. The only person it was serious for was Black Panther, who was actively trying to kill Bucky. He's the most serious throughout the entire film perhaps close to Bucky and Cap. Again, the most jokes came out of Spidey and Ant-Man. And yes, War Machine was seriously hurt by an accident. An accident. Nobody was trying to hurt anyone seriously that was not Black Panther. That fight was not meant to be a stake-filled, violent and hateful fight. It's one side trying to bring in their friends and teamates, the other side trying to escape and literally only one person trying to kill someone. Why would you expect anything else.

The final fight was as violent as it should have been. And how was it divorced from the central conflict of the film. Cap got into the situation he was in because he had been trying to protect Bucky from things people thought he did. That's pretty clear throughout the film. And it's also pretty clear that is what Zemo had been trying to do all that time even though he used many plans. And no, nothing. was solved by the end of the film. Because Tony merely smiled? Did he go find Cap and give him back his shield and say he's sorry? That's solving it. For crying out loud.

Like this film is not that hard to follow yet basic things like these are ignored or not noticed and I don't know why.

1) This is a thread about the DC Extended Universe. Any discussion about the MCU should be brief, if at all, and strictly in comparison to the DCU. Dissecting the MCU and its films is for a different thread, not this one.
    2) Please try to keep any discussion you bring to the thread your own. Quoting walls of text from other people, off-site or otherwise, in multiple posts, is not cool.

Stay on-topic, folks. Thank you.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    Pretty cool real. Surreal to see them just kind of walk around dressed like that.

Just bought my Justice League ticket for a 3D showing on Thursday the 16th at 10:50pm. Please don’t suck!

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    O hey, we get to see Jim without his hat and the inside of the GCPD! And Crispus Allen .

I wonder if the Bat-Signal always sparks like that whenever they turn it on or if it's because it's so old?

I like that Fisher's mo-cap suit has an eye-piece.

Is that line about Aquaman talking to fish going to be in the actual movie ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    O hey, we get to see Jim without his hat and the inside of the GCPD! And Crispus Allen .

I wonder if the Bat-Signal always sparks like that whenever they turn it on or if it's because it's so old?

I like that Fisher's mo-cap suit has an eye-piece.

Is that line about Aquaman talking to fish going to be in the actual movie ?
    I hope not. It's funny as an outtake but it's probably too much for the film, for my taste anyway. "The Aquatic Community" lol

I hope not. It's funny as an outtake but it's probably too much for the film, for my taste anyway. "The Aquatic Community" lol
    It would've been a great Brave and the Bold joke .

BANNED

I know I said that I didn't plan on seeing Justice League, but now that I've just gotten a free ticket for the day it comes out, I may as well go. Of course, this means that I'll be able to bi**h about this movie properly!

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I know I said that I didn't plan on seeing Justice League, but now that I've just gotten a free ticket for the day it comes out, I may as well go. Of course, this means that I'll be able to bi**h about this movie properly!
    I hope you and anyone else getting to see it early are able to enjoy it .

If it goes anywhere, it's smart to use Crispus Allen as The Spectre rather than Jim Corrigan. Spectre was prominently featured in the DCEU intro too.