Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thank you for your sensitive reply. I don't think you have to worry about a poor performance. I think you have to worry about whether or not he's in a place to do it at all. If he is, his depression is likely under control. I think I can speak for all depressed people when I say that it's not that we can't do a thing well when depressed, it's that we practically can't do it at all. Or we can, in which case we can do it as well as anyone might be expected to do. Depression doesn't make a person bad at something; it does something worse. It makes it impossible for one to access one's feelings for a thing, in which case I really don't see him returning to the role. I kind of expect his brain will tell him what to do and not the other way around when the time comes. The rehab is very recent and if he has depression (TOTAL SPECULATION on my part) who knows where he's at with dealing with it? Is he in talk therapy or possibly medicated if he needs to be? Has he been in therapy for long enough to know those things? Maybe he's been treated for depression his entire life. Or maybe he doesn't even have it and I'm just seeing things when I look at him and think I recognize depression. I certainly can't say he's depressed with any authority.

If he is experiencing depression this would not be an odd age (Affleck's) to have it set in well enough to need treatment for the first time in which case he could be going through a very heavy thing. It's all speculation.

And those questions are none of our business (any more than any other health questions would be) except that they tell us, I think, that his decision about future Batman movies may be out of his own control. It may seem an impossible task. I've been there. When I couldn't handle a project because of it I had to drop out. If I was up to doing the project at all I was up to doing it well. I don't at ALL mean to seem like I'm 'correcting' you as I don't think you said anything that needs correcting, btw. I'm just giving my experience with it because so many are talking about Batfleck and nobody's talking about depression in all this and when I look at his face in interviews it's the only thing I can possibly think about.
    Nope, I didn’t take it that way at all. It’s always good to be educated on a subject, and unfortunately depression is not something I have a lot of knowledge about. I just hope this is a case of him being tired, and waiting out reviews...his brand has soared in Hollywood since ‘Gone Baby Gone’, and the last thing his career needs is another critical hit like BvS. He has more to lose on JL than the others, so hopefully if critics like JL he will be more open to discussing future appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why? This feels so random .
    Feels like a very loose adaptation of Suicide Squad Rebirth, with Black Adam perhaps taking the place of General Zod.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a bit sooner. That's basically about three days from the release date. Same amount of time as Wonder Woman got.

There's a rumor circulating that the last round of test screenings have gone very well and that the final version of the film was well-received. If that's so, then I wouldn't be surprised if WB drops the social media embargo sometime very soon, just like they did with Wonder Woman. If they really think the reviewers are going to say mostly nice things, then there's no reason to hold them back from addressing their audiences and saying "Hey! I saw Justice League! It's actually really good! Go see it!"
    That's really big and exciting news! Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link to a story announcing the new embargo date?

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Here's a thought about Ben Affleck and his tenure as Batman and how they could potentially do it if it indeed comes down to Ben leaving the role.

What if the reason Flashpoint comes out before The Batman is that in Flashpoint (if that is the sequence of the film's being released), a younger version of Bruce is brought into the DCEU and the timelines get merged. But since this would be a younger version of Batman, events in his backstory would get confusing if they happened or didn't happen, like Jason Todd's murder. So after Flashpoint brings in the younger Bruce, Matt Reeve's Batman films fully tell the story of Batman's beginnings and continue the DCEU Batman tales post backstory, like in parts 2 and 3.

Make sense? If Affleck is really leaving, I hope they do it this way and it would also explain why they never have fully committed to him being in Reeves' film.
    Or, maybe he dies at the end of JL, and the first solo Batman is actually a flashback story detailing his relationship with the Robins. That could set up Nightwing, which sets up Nightwing to take up the mantle.

No need for a damn de-aged Bruce, which is just unnecessary.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Or, maybe he dies at the end of JL, and the first solo Batman is actually a flashback story detailing his relationship with the Robins. That could set up Nightwing, which sets up Nightwing to take up the mantle.

That would mean we get just a handful of lines between Superman and Bruce in this cinematic universe as allies. Or at all. What you described "works" but it would be profoundly unsatisfying.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    That would mean we get just a handful of lines between Superman and Bruce in this cinematic universe as allies. Or at all. What you described "works" but it would be profoundly unsatisfying.
    Not if the interaction in JL is really good. This would also be a great way to establish legit stakes in the DCFU. It'd be interesting to see a JL2, in which Dick is Batman because Bruce died on the job.

Watching Ragnarok made it more apparent that, besides spinoffs, there's literally no stakes that matter in thsee comic book movies.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    That's really big and exciting news! Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link to a story announcing the new embargo date?
    "Email I just received tells me the JUSTICE LEAGUE review embargo is up at 1:50AM CST on November 15th. That's, uh, a weirdly specific time."
    https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/...54352327708672
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

People seem to be confusing the embargos of which there two. The review embargo lifts on the 15th this is standard procedure from WB and almost never changes regardless of whether they think the movie is good or bad.

Social Media embargo however WB will lift early if they feel critics are going to say good things about the movie, case in point WB lifted the social media embargo for Wonder Woman nearly 2 weeks before release. So general line of thought seems to be if WB doesn't lift the social media embargo for Justice League at latest by this weekend, it could be they think it's going to be another BvS/SS critically.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Feels like a very loose adaptation of Suicide Squad Rebirth, with Black Adam perhaps taking the place of General Zod.
    That's not reassuring...
    Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

I doubt we're going to get a Justice League movie where one of the League ends up dead, especially in the same movie where Superman makes a big comeback.

That's not reassuring...

I doubt we're going to get a Justice League movie where one of the League ends up dead, especially in the same movie where Superman makes a big comeback.
    I actually just meant the general idea of the SS having to locate a superman-level villain...I absolutely agree that they should not adapt that actual story lol I still just want to see a SS black ops movie with no world ending threats.

I also agree they won’t kill Bruce off in JL. I would rather just see them recast if Ben walks, and they could even use Flashpoint to do it. Flash could quip “Did you change your hair or something?”, and just leave it up to timeline shenanigans. After Barry fixes the timeline, Bruce looks different, no big deal (as long as he isn’t deaged, ruining continuity). It’s not ideal, but it’s an easy out & a little joke is a wink to the audience that says “yep, new Batman, but at least you know why.”

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Why?

Rock + Fresh Prince + Harley Margot Robbie could bring back the Fast and Furious crowds that the first Skwad movie appealed to more than other comic book movies. Maybe they could rope in Jason Statham as Count Vertigo too That would be a fun take on the character (Spy shows Statham's great comic timing as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    That’s so lame. The flashback in Justice League of the first Apokolips invasion would have been a way better way to introduce him. Show Parademons attacking the ancient world and show Black Adam defending Egypt. Huge missed opportunity.
    Why waste your Dwayne Johnson DCEU intro in just a flashback of a movie that most people are going to watch anyway? Might as well introduce him in a film that needs it more. Tracking down and trying to capture Black Adam is a simple and fun gimmick as opposed to Waller Mission 2 being the rectification of Waller Mission 1 awkward and needlessly complicated plot of the first Suicide Squad.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

That's not reassuring...

Yeah, Batman isn't dying in JL. If the theme of the film is hope, I doubt they'll kill off one of the Trinity right after bringing Supes back.

If Ben decides to leave, they'll just recast.The general audience is used to a change up every couple movies, Particularly Batman. Pick a good actor and they'll accept it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Why waste your Dwayne Johnson DCEU intro in just a flashback of a movie that most people are going to watch anyway? Might as well introduce him in a film that needs it more. Tracking down and trying to capture Black Adam is a simple and fun gimmick as opposed to Waller Mission 2 being the rectification of Waller Mission 1 awkward and needlessly complicated plot of the first Suicide Squad.
    Or we could just have the Suicide Squad do actual espionage and cover ops stuff rather then have them go up against an opponent they are in no way qualified to take out .

I get now wanting to have to juggle Billy and Adam in the Shazam solo movie but Suicide Squad 2 doesn't feel like a better place to introduce Black Adam.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    People seem to be confusing the embargos of which there two. The review embargo lifts on the 15th this is standard procedure from WB and almost never changes regardless of whether they think the movie is good or bad.

Social Media embargo however WB will lift early if they feel critics are going to say good things about the movie, case in point WB lifted the social media embargo for Wonder Woman nearly 2 weeks before release. So general line of thought seems to be if WB doesn't lift the social media embargo for Justice League at latest by this weekend, it could be they think it's going to be another BvS/SS critically.
    That sounds right tbf, I really hope it gets good reviews, or will critics pan it regardless if its seen as good/very good amongs viewers just because it’s still technically a Snyder film, and critics don’t tend to like Snyder.

I’m also really interested to see what Joss Whedon added/removed, or is it more of a ‘smoothing over the edges’ scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Rock + Fresh Prince + Harley Margot Robbie could bring back the Fast and Furious crowds that the first Skwad movie appealed to more than other comic book movies. Maybe they could rope in Jason Statham as Count Vertigo too That would be a fun take on the character (Spy shows Statham's great comic timing as well).

What was complicated about the plot of Suicide Squad? I see people say this, but I don’t know what it means. Do the people who say this really have a hard time following what’s going on?

Fantastic Member

Black Adam was in John Ostrander Suicide Squad. Very happy to see him reappear in this way. Sometimes the suicide squad was at their best when sent to take down a metahuman