Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Just back from advance screening. Affleck was the best live-action Batman ever. The casting on this (great) film is really amazing.
    Glad you enjoyed it, hope I do too. (And please vote!)

http://community.comicbookresources....fter-watching)

You think there's enough themes from MoS/BvS carried over to also please fans of those films? Most of us don't mind more different things, but are afraid of certain things being completely taken away. (No spoilers please obviously and thanks)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Wow. I remember you and I butting heads many a time over BvS, so an endorsement from you is definitely no small thing. I swear, sometimes, I would see your comments on BvS and I was almost certain you were just exaggerating as a form of trolling.

Glad you liked it. Now I'm more eager than ever to see it on Friday!

I'm not a troll and never have been one. I'm appreciative to be part of this community and never mean to let my passions get the better of me in a way that rubs people wrong though I repeatedly fall down on that. (I guess it's like the t-shirts say: "Dr. Manhattan isn't finished with me yet." )

I'm glad I could help get you pumped for the movie.

I'm seriously proselytizing about it to everyone, even the total strangers that served me at the pizza joint and then the coffee shop on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it, hope I do too. (And please vote!)

http://community.comicbookresources....fter-watching)

You think there's enough themes from MoS/BvS carried over to also please fans of those films? Most of us don't mind more different things, but are afraid of certain things being completely taken away. (No spoilers please obviously and thanks)
    I can't answer on behalf of fans of BvS but maybe one of these things will be helpful:

- The friend I went with LOOOOOVED BvS and MoS and he loved JL as much as I did
    - Throughout the film I had an internal monologue going that basically was me retroactively appreciating a lot about BvS and MoS and thinking about that thing the Snyder's continually said about it being a trilogy and Superman coming into his own in the third film and thinking of how it suddenly felt so true and worked SO well.

Hopefully you'll take both points as good signs and more hopefully you'll feel the same way after seeing JL.

I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Back from watching JL, and I can say that I really enjoyed it. There's some issues I had, but nothing too crazy. I'd give it an 8-8.5/10.

As you guys know, I very much liked BvS:UE as well, so that's where I'm coming from. I'll also an AMA, if wanna ask questions.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Back from watching JL, and I can say that I really enjoyed it. There's some issues I had, but nothing too crazy. I'd give it an 8-8.5/10.

As you guys know, I very much liked BvS:UE as well, so that's where I'm coming from. I'll also an AMA, if wanna ask questions.
    in a spoiler free way, what would you say were some issues for you?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I can't answer on behalf of fans of BvS but maybe one of these things will be helpful:

- The friend I went with LOOOOOVED BvS and MoS and he loved JL as much as I did
    - Throughout the film I had an internal monologue going that basically was me retroactively appreciating a lot about BvS and MoS and thinking about that thing the Snyder's continually said about it being a trilogy and Superman coming into his own in the third film and thinking of how it suddenly felt so true and worked SO well.

Hopefully you'll take both points as good signs and more hopefully you'll feel the same way after seeing JL.

I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    Sounds promising, thanks. I'm pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    in a spoiler free way, what would you say were some issues for you?
    Honestly it was really the editing in some places, making it clear that the movie was cut up, and the villain.

Oh and a small nitpick about Superman's return, but that's it. Honestly, even tho Steppenwolf was lean he was portrayed better than most CBM villains. I'd say he's on par with Ego for the year.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-13-2017 at 11:12 PM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Looking forward to hitting the comic shop (within walking distance of the theater!) on Thursday and then seeing the film.

Got the same Flash shirt I wore to BvS lined up for the occasion.

(on a side note, I wonder how much people will be showing up in costume, when I went to see Wonder Woman there was like an entire row of Dianas!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    (on a side note, I wonder how much people will be showing up in costume, when I went to see Wonder Woman there was like an entire row of Dianas!)
    I got to see a full-on Affleck Batman suit on a guy that was about 6'4 and stayed in character for hours while we waited in line.

Also saw a perfect movie Flash costume (the guy told me it cost him around $300 on the internet which blew my mind- it was perfect) and a guy in a very full-on Wonder Woman costume complete with sword down the back.

Those were the only three of consequence but they were each excellent and contributed a lot to the enthusiasm of the already quite enthused people waiting in line for hours to get a good seat.

Amazing Member

Just home from the screening in Houston. Before I give my reaction let me let you know a little bit about where I was coming from, what my tastes have been in the past, so you know how to take my comments...

I liked Wonder Woman a lot. I disliked Man of Steel, I hated Batman v Superman, I thought Suicide Squad was a silly trifle of a failure.

To be fair to the directors of these films my hopes are set so high for them it's almost impossible for them to meet my expectations. And so it is that, though I am a DC-only fan that has always bought at least 10-20 DC titles each Wednesday without fail for over 40 years (I'm 48). And while I love Batman enough that it's a nickname a lot of friends use for me and a lot of friends buy me gifts to do with Batman because they're so sure he's my favorite.

But no single character is my favorite. My favorite has always been the Justice League.

My hopes have been so high for these movies (the DC ones - I watch some of the Marvel ones but I don't care about them - I care an unhealthy much about the DC ones) that the following is literally true. Of every DC movie ever made I've only walked out of six of them in the past that I was satisfied with and only two that I was wholly satisfied with. I was wholly satisfied by Superman: The Movie and Superman II. And I guess the best way to peg my feelings about Wonder Woman is that I was never disappointed by it. That's saying a LOT for me. As I've copped to, I'm impossible to please. The three Nolan Batman movies were also all movies I loved but apart from Heath Ledger's Joker (the best portrayal of any DC character in live-action ever and I don't think Ledger can be surpassed that way) I had some misgivings.

So that's where I'm coming from so you know how to take any comments I might make about the movie if I'm asked about it by anyone here. I will not spoil anything and I'll err on the side of extreme caution that way. Not because I care about any embargo but because I care about you all having the best experience with it as you can.

Refresher: I'm impossible to please, I typically really dislike Snyder's superhero movies and his philosophy (such as it is) toward them, and no property from DC or anyone else matters more to me than JUSTICE LEAGUE. Since I was a small child and I'm 48.

So before I open this up to an AMA if anyone has questions for me (I won't spoil publicly or by PM so no reason to PM) I'll give you my most basic reaction.

I FREAKING LOVED IT. UNRESERVEDLY.

And what a relief that is! So AMA.

I cannot wait to see this movie again. I'm almost sure it's my favorite comic book movie ever.

[Edit to remove profane word inspired by my excitement.]
    Just saw it as well. Drop me a line, would love to get your full review and bounce some thoughts off of you if you're up for it sometime. Glad you enjoyed! I'm going Thursday with some work buds. And probably again soon.

Throughout the film I had an internal monologue going that basically was me retroactively appreciating a lot about BvS and MoS and thinking about that thing the Snyder's continually said about it being a trilogy and Superman coming into his own in the third film and thinking of how it suddenly felt so true and worked SO well.
    This is great, especially since I largely agreed with you on the fundamentals of Superman's characterisation and disliked MoS for many of the same reasons you did, but was still more optimistic about Snyder's direction for him in future movies. So glad it paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    This is great, especially since I largely agreed with you on the fundamentals of Superman's characterisation and disliked MoS for many of the same reasons you did, but was still more optimistic about Snyder's direction for him in future movies. So glad it paid off.
    It definitely played off, and JL characterizations of Bruce and Diana really make BvS look better in retrospect.

Also, that whole "retcon" of WW's past? Yeah, it's perfectly explained in this movie and makes sense for both WW and BvS.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Just home from the screening in Houston. Before I give my reaction let me let you know a little bit about where I was coming from, what my tastes have been in the past, so you know how to take my comments...

I liked Wonder Woman a lot. I disliked Man of Steel, I hated Batman v Superman, I thought Suicide Squad was a silly trifle of a failure.

To be fair to the directors of these films my hopes are set so high for them it's almost impossible for them to meet my expectations. And so it is that, though I am a DC-only fan that has always bought at least 10-20 DC titles each Wednesday without fail for over 40 years (I'm 48). And while I love Batman enough that it's a nickname a lot of friends use for me and a lot of friends buy me gifts to do with Batman because they're so sure he's my favorite.

But no single character is my favorite. My favorite has always been the Justice League.

My hopes have been so high for these movies (the DC ones - I watch some of the Marvel ones but I don't care about them - I care an unhealthy much about the DC ones) that the following is literally true. Of every DC movie ever made I've only walked out of six of them in the past that I was satisfied with and only two that I was wholly satisfied with. I was wholly satisfied by Superman: The Movie and Superman II. And I guess the best way to peg my feelings about Wonder Woman is that I was never disappointed by it. That's saying a LOT for me. As I've copped to, I'm impossible to please. The three Nolan Batman movies were also all movies I loved but apart from Heath Ledger's Joker (the best portrayal of any DC character in live-action ever and I don't think Ledger can be surpassed that way) I had some misgivings.

So that's where I'm coming from so you know how to take any comments I might make about the movie if I'm asked about it by anyone here. I will not spoil anything and I'll err on the side of extreme caution that way. Not because I care about any embargo but because I care about you all having the best experience with it as you can.

Refresher: I'm impossible to please, I typically really dislike Snyder's superhero movies and his philosophy (such as it is) toward them, and no property from DC or anyone else matters more to me than JUSTICE LEAGUE. Since I was a small child and I'm 48.

So before I open this up to an AMA if anyone has questions for me (I won't spoil publicly or by PM so no reason to PM) I'll give you my most basic reaction.

I FREAKING LOVED IT. UNRESERVEDLY.

And what a relief that is! So AMA.

I cannot wait to see this movie again. I'm almost sure it's my favorite comic book movie ever.

[Edit to remove profane word inspired by my excitement.]
    Very glad you loved it! Makes me even more excited for Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

This is good news. If someone like you ( who along with myself felt like the only two who defended BvS when it came out last year...We were in the trenches together! LOL) and someone like BatmanJones who didn't like BvS both liked it, then WB I think pulled off a miracle here and possibly heal the divided DCEU fanbase. To hear that it legit feels like a continuation of the story of MOS and BvS without betraying either and stepping into a new direction gives me even more hope.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Great to hear positive views from people who appreciate what these films are about, couldn’t care less what the ratings are on rotten tomatoes.

One question for all who’ve seen it, I read on a review on BC a few days ago that you need to wait till after the credits have rolled... Was there anything of any significance?

BANNED

I hate to ask this, but was there ANY MENTIONING of the Martian Manhunter in the movie or are we going to be going the Ant-man route in showing that piece of Comic history at another film ?