Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I hate to ask this, but was there ANY MENTIONING of the Martian Manhunter in the movie or are we going to be going the Ant-man route in showing that piece of Comic history at another film ?
    Answering that would probably count as a spoiler. You're probably better off PM-ing BatmanJones or TooFlyToFail.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

For those that have seen it, is Cavill's mustache CGI a problem?

In a Spoiler Free way, does Superman have plenty of Screen Time because I've grown concerned he's only in it for like 10 mins at the end.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Answering that would probably count as a spoiler. You're probably better off PM-ing BatmanJones or TooFlyToFail.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Just home from the screening in Houston. Before I give my reaction let me let you know a little bit about where I was coming from, what my tastes have been in the past, so you know how to take my comments...

I liked Wonder Woman a lot. I disliked Man of Steel, I hated Batman v Superman, I thought Suicide Squad was a silly trifle of a failure.

To be fair to the directors of these films my hopes are set so high for them it's almost impossible for them to meet my expectations. And so it is that, though I am a DC-only fan that has always bought at least 10-20 DC titles each Wednesday without fail for over 40 years (I'm 48). And while I love Batman enough that it's a nickname a lot of friends use for me and a lot of friends buy me gifts to do with Batman because they're so sure he's my favorite.

But no single character is my favorite. My favorite has always been the Justice League.

My hopes have been so high for these movies (the DC ones - I watch some of the Marvel ones but I don't care about them - I care an unhealthy much about the DC ones) that the following is literally true. Of every DC movie ever made I've only walked out of six of them in the past that I was satisfied with and only two that I was wholly satisfied with. I was wholly satisfied by Superman: The Movie and Superman II. And I guess the best way to peg my feelings about Wonder Woman is that I was never disappointed by it. That's saying a LOT for me. As I've copped to, I'm impossible to please. The three Nolan Batman movies were also all movies I loved but apart from Heath Ledger's Joker (the best portrayal of any DC character in live-action ever and I don't think Ledger can be surpassed that way) I had some misgivings.

So that's where I'm coming from so you know how to take any comments I might make about the movie if I'm asked about it by anyone here. I will not spoil anything and I'll err on the side of extreme caution that way. Not because I care about any embargo but because I care about you all having the best experience with it as you can.

Refresher: I'm impossible to please, I typically really dislike Snyder's superhero movies and his philosophy (such as it is) toward them, and no property from DC or anyone else matters more to me than JUSTICE LEAGUE. Since I was a small child and I'm 48.

So before I open this up to an AMA if anyone has questions for me (I won't spoil publicly or by PM so no reason to PM) I'll give you my most basic reaction.

I FREAKING LOVED IT. UNRESERVEDLY.

And what a relief that is! So AMA.

I cannot wait to see this movie again. I'm almost sure it's my favorite comic book movie ever.

[Edit to remove profane word inspired by my excitement.]
    Does the movie spend a lot of time setting up or hinting at sequels and spinoffs?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I hate to ask this, but was there ANY MENTIONING of the Martian Manhunter in the movie or are we going to be going the Ant-man route in showing that piece of Comic history at another film ?
    Nope, and it's kinda too early for him.

There's a hint to a different space bound hero, tho...
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-14-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    For those that have seen it, is Cavill's mustache CGI a problem?
    In the first Supes scene, kinda, but after that nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    In a Spoiler Free way, does Superman have plenty of Screen Time because I've grown concerned he's only in it for like 10 mins at the end.
    He got appropriate screen time for the story told.

Incredible Member

I read wolf and cyborg were the weak links in the movie, how true is this? If possible spoiler free can you explain?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

lol @ the line we're all trying to tread here. "TELL US BUT DON'T. (BUT DO. (BUT PLS DON'T.))"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    lol @ the line we're all trying to tread here. "TELL US BUT DON'T. (BUT DO. (BUT PLS DON'T.))"
    The wait til friday morning is a long wait haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I read wolf and cyborg were the weak links in the movie, how true is this? If possible spoiler free can you explain?
    Cyborg is not a weak link, and got more character work than Aquaman, honestly. All the heroes were good.

Steppenwolf was thin, character-wise, but he's portrayed well as a villain, and doesn't make stupid decisions becuz plot.

He's the best CBM villain this year, IMO, because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Great to hear positive views from people who appreciate what these films are about, couldn’t care less what the ratings are on rotten tomatoes.

One question for all who’ve seen it, I read on a review on BC a few days ago that you need to wait till after the credits have rolled... Was there anything of any significance?
    Yes, don't move from that chair because.....hooo, boy....HOOO, BOY!!!

That's my reaction to each of the post credit scenes. These are the best PC scenes we've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I do agree with this. But I can't imagine anyone but Affleck doing it now that I've seen his Batman in JL. It's just perfect. Most comics-accurate and most fun portrayal of Batman (or as I saw someone say "most 'Batman' Batman") in live action to date.

When I saw this movie I had the distinct feeling that I was seeing Batman from the comics in live action for the first time. That's quite a feat considering the great actors that have played him in the past.

But this movie isn't trying to prove that everything had a real-world, grounded explanation (as Nolan's did); and it isn't style over substance as nearly every Burton movie is; this was Batman REALLY being Batman.

It's impossible to really get across how true this is of all six members of the team but you'll know it when you see it, I think.

And Henry Cavill (finally) IS Superman.

The same's true of the rest of the cast. They get what makes these characters tick and it's the best thing about the movie.
    I think Affleck was perfect casting but the character could have easily been younger than how they were basing him in-universe. I could've gone without the destroyed Wayne Manor and other darker elements like the killing and so forth. All the Frank Millerisms from BVS are my complaints, not Affleck himself.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Yes, don't move from that chair because.....hooo, boy....HOOO, BOY!!!

That's my reaction to each of the post credit scenes. These are the best PC scenes we've ever had.
    Great... Thank you

Incredible Member

Rotten tomatoes is perdonally delaying their release of the total score and if its fresh/rotten. Yes reviews go live Wednesday and youll be able to read them, but youll have to wait til thursday for the score and rating because now RT will air a See it or Skip it theyre going to start do it for films. Hopefully this doesnt give people the impression WB is locking the score down.