Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Also, remember how people complained about the OST being dull, mediocre, and not memorable?

Yeah, it's exactly that. I was in a screening with super fans, and only 4 people (including me) noticed the 89 Batman and Williams Supes renditions. I'm not even a fan of those themes (dont kill me). It was that bad. He also neutered the WW theme. Honestly, I forgot there was an OST for most of the movie.

Never let this man touch another DC movie. The only time I felt hype was when the Mos theme kicked briefly.

That's a shame. I wanted the music to be great. I don't know about you but i really love the Avengers score. I wanted something memorable like that. This is the first time i am going to see Justice League. Something i wanted to see since i was a kid. Its an event of a lifetime. Alas! There's nothing exciting. There should have been at least one good piece. But its boring. Perhaps the next one will do better. I don't think they will return to Elfman.

Danny Elfman was phenomenal in Spider-man. I felt his Avengers 2 was fine. But this one is a let down. Nothing against you about Batman or Superman themes. Everyone have their preferences. John Williams is one of my favorite themes of all time. Its not even nostagia. I watched the film after MoS. (I always mention this. Whenever i say i love John Williams, 'nostalgia pandering' is brought up. Sadly). Batman is good. But I am not particularly fond of that. Its not good news. I will always like some Williams in all future films with Zimmer thrown in too. This may mean no more Williams in future films.

Neutering WW is the worst. WW is so fantastic. It is not needed for much time. Why didn't they use it as it is?

In the end i may never know. Good film means i can forgive all this. Its still dissapointing nonetheless.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-15-2017 at 01:16 AM.

The reviews are out, pretty much as expected.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It sounds like the WB mandate of 2hrs might bite them in the ass because a lot of the narrative issues come from the fact the a lot of the movie is CLEARLY cut.

This coming from someone who enjoyed the movie.

BANNED

Also, remember how people complained about the OST being dull, mediocre, and not memorable?

Yeah, it's exactly that. I was in a screening with super fans, and only 4 people (including me) noticed the 89 Batman and Williams Supes renditions.
    Then again, a large portion of the audience isn't that into film music scores that they would recognise those teams under any circumstances.

It sounds like the WB mandate of 2hrs might bite them in the ass because a lot of the narrative issues come from the fact the a lot of the movie is CLEARLY cut.

This coming from someone who enjoyed the movie.
    Mark Hughes from Forbes argued that it was better to exclude the subplots and make the film leaner, and how that would turn out to be more crowd pleasing. He took some negative examples from BvS that JL avoided to help make his point. The general consensus is that this is tooled to be an audience pleaser, so let's see how that decision ends up working in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Mark Hughes from Forbes argued that it was better to exclude the subplots and make the film leaner, and how that would turn out to be more crowd pleasing. He took some negative examples from BvS that JL avoided to help make his point. The general consensus is that this is tooled to be an audience pleaser, so let's see how that decision ends up working in the long run.
    Just wait for the extended edition!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I saw many reviews... I think that I will expect for Aquaman movie for see Jason Momoa...

1510733517450.jpg

BANNED

They cut Man Of Steel and Dawn Of Justice to bits for the theatric release, and crowds were not pleased. And I don't think I'll be watching it until they release the entire movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They cut Man Of Steel and Dawn Of Justice to bits for the theatric release, and crowds were not pleased. And I don't think I'll be watching it until they release the entire movie.
    Meh. Theatrical Man of Steel still felt overlong and I thought the theatrical version of BvS was fine (or rather that the "ultimate cut" did not do all that much for its shortcomings). Anyway, Justice League is claimed to be more of an entertainer and something general audiences will lap up. Now let's see if that really happens.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I saw many reviews... I think that I will expect for Aquaman movie for see Jason Momoa...

1510733517450.jpg
    More positive/green reviews have been added since then, and also more mostly positive yellows that look like they could be fresh reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

At the end of the day tho, the critics are not really all that impressed by the very safe movie they got. It's basically a better Avengers, but not that complex at all. I gave it an 8-8.5/10, because that's the standard I went in expecting.

In comparison, movies like TDK, Batman Begins, DoFP, X2, Cap 2, Unbreakable, and, most recently, Logan blow this movie out of the water. As much as I enjoyed the movie, the tone is rather vanilla, save a few scenes. Even tho I enjoyed Steppenwolf's characterization, he didn't fill the screen with energy like Donald Pierce, a minor villain, in Logan did.

After thinking about this movie more, despite me enjoying it a lot, I'm pissed that people are gonna say that this is the direction the DCFU should continue to go for because it's safe as hell.

Seriously, you could've replaced Steppenwolf with Starro and gotten a similar movie.

I need to see where Matt Reeves takes his Batman trilogy, and what WW2 brings, but it seems like I can't look to the DCFU to bring anything that challenges the genre anymore. That now goes to Fox.

When I say challenge the genre, that means not these generic CBMs we've got in every outing this year, not named Logan. This film does at least develop it's characters, but besides maybe Batfleck, these aren't portrayals that will stay in your mind forever IMO.

Even the history lesson in this movie is not nearly as impactful as Bruce's POV of MoS, or the opening of Watchmen. We know that Steppenwolf is a New God, and is on a mission for Darseid, but like with Thanos in the MCU, there is no weight at all in this plot.

Yes, I enjoyed the movie, I think it's the 2nd best CBM this year, and I think it will be a crowd pleaser, but I also think this is a sign of the end of the DCFU taking risks. This is probably why WB is talking about that one-shot/spin-off label of DC movies, and why Reeves movies being the DCFU is in question.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-15-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

1510733517450.jpg
    It's the safe nature of the movie, and the fact that it's clearly cut up that has critics going "yes it's fun, and light now, but this is the epic JL we've been waiting for?" The MCU has a brand that people expect now, but Logan, and Deadpool, have set the bar much higher for CBMs in recent years.

At the end of the day tho, the critics are not really all that impressed by the very safe movie they got. It's basically a better Avengers, but not that complex at all. I gave it an 8-8.5/10, because that's the standard I went in expecting.

In comparison, movies like TDK, Batman Begins, DoFP, X2, Cap 2, Unbreakable, and, most recently, Logan blow this movie out of the water.
    Wonder Woman was also arguably a "safe" origin movie, and yet the critics generally ranked it as being better than all of these listed movies (going by Rotten Tomatoes calculations).

Team-up movies aren't really expected to be on those levels either, especially not team-up origin movies. WB just had to follow the "superheroes band together, share great chemistry and save the world" formula to please audiences, in which they seem to have succeeded. After the first three DCEU films, it's understandable why they wanted to just play it "safe".

Variety's reviewer Owen Gleiberman summed it up best in his review intro:

In superhero movies, sheer lively deliver-the-goods competence can be a quality you’re grateful for — or one that seems awesomely innocuous. In “Justice League,” it’s a little of both. The film is the definition of an adequate high-spirited studio lark: no more, no less. If fans get excited about it, that may mostly be because they’re excited about getting excited. Yet the movie is no cheat. It’s a tasty franchise delivery system that kicks a certain series back into gear.
    That seems like a win to me, especially considering where the DCEU was post-BvS.

Variety's reviewer Owen Gleiberman summed it up best in his review intro:

That seems like a win to me, especially considering where the DCEU was post-BvS.
    I'm kinda over the "tasty franchise delivery system". The fact that some of the biggest praise is that it's fun, and it'll entertain the general audience, is ridiculous. So we want this movie to be Fast 7?

I'm a DC fan, so I liked the movie, but it's still too basic. I'm seeing it one more time in a few days to reassess my thoughts on the movie, or seeing if I'll still enjoy it the same as I did in that Houston Marq'e fan screening.