Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    It’s appalling that Snyder treats women this way! It’s sickening! What a pig!

Oh, wait....
    Attachment 57874
    Yup. I've never had a problem with how he does this stuff because he's pretty much an equal-opportunity sexualizer. Heck, I like some sexualization in my movies!

But yeah, if people are going to complain about it, then I want them to know precisely where the blame belongs.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Sooooo......that whole issue with the Amazons wearing skimpy outfits in Justice League? Turns out THAT, and several other instances of Diana being overly sexualized, was actually the work of none other than Mr. Joss "I'm Such A Great Feminist" Whedon!

Now, sure, I'm sure Snyder did some sexualizing, but this is just appalling! I kinda hope WB reconsiders letting Whedon do the Batgirl movie now.
    Huh...I guess that means more of the Amazon stuff came together when Joss joined production?

Yup. I've never had a problem with how he does this stuff because he's pretty much an equal-opportunity sexualizer. Heck, I like some sexualization in my movies!

But yeah, if people are going to complain about it, then I want them to know precisely where the blame belongs.
    I agree. Just wanted to point out the hypocrisy lol
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member

ouch rotten tomatoes came revealed the score 43%, was hoping for at least 50%, hopefully this doesn't deter some of the general public. Maybe theres still time for it to go up?
    Last edited by Bossace; 11-15-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    ouch rotten tomatoes came revealed the score 43%, was hoping for at least 50%, hopefully this doesn't deter some of the general public. Maybe theres still time for it to go up?
    Snyder, no matter how many defenders he has, is the common denominator with MOS, BvS and now JL. Shame on WB for letting it get to a third film.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That take up about 30 seconds of a film that's well over two hours.

Yes, because providing any sort of basic insight is the equivalent of spoon-feeding.

When they're barely noticeable and buried from jumping from scene to scene? Nah. That's not on me. That's on the filmmaker.

Except Lex's backstory, namely the fact of him being from Smallville as well, has been referenced numerous times as something that sort of "binds" him and Superman together, both in current continuity and in Pre-Crisis canon.

Nobody is saying MCU films are perfect. In most of those cases, however, there were other elements of the film that compensated for their faults. Yes, Iron Man 3's villain was awful and there were major plot holes. I am one of its most vocal critics. But, overall, it was still a better viewing experience than BvS. And you may think Thor and Ant-Man's arcs are generic, but at least they succeed at telling an arc. They don't simply come off as a random collection of moments strung together haphazardly.

I mean, are we really at the point of calling people stupid for not liking a movie? And I don't think its that they factually couldn't decipher the reasons that Snyder put forth. Its more so, they thought the reasons for initiating the conflict between Batman and Superman were rushed, thin justifications and the central conflict of the film therefore felt unearned.
    I seriously don't have the stamina to debate how well motivations are laid out in a film with someone who apparently couldn't hear key lines in a movie and missed who knows what else and has only watched it once.

I'm not calling people stupid for not liking a movie, I'm calling them stupid for not being able to grasp something they're beat over the head with. A reviewer saying he couldn't figure out why they were fighting is either lying, fell asleep, or genuinely has problems with their perception.

If you think Iron Man 3 and Ant-Man are better than BvS, like many of the critics, I can't control your opinion and your entitled to dislike it. But I'm not going to pretend I don't think choppy pacing or editing in a thematically rich film should be held to a different standard to mediocre uninspiring action-comedies just because they're told in a straight-forward order and have jokes in them. And there are reviewers who specifically reveal those biases in their reviews.

The Double Toasted guys like it at least

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77WwPjInwmM

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh...I guess that means more of the Amazon stuff came together when Joss joined production?
    Not the Amazon attire (which as folks have mentioned here, is traditional Snyder and it is not a women-only thing as seen in 300 etc.) Without getting too spoiler-y, apparently there are some scenes that oversexualize Diana herself, which some folks on Twitter pointed out fit Whedon's MO from past work like Age of Ultron and his own leaked Wonder Woman script. So this video seems to be a confirmation that Whedon was indeed responsible for it.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Snyder, no matter how many defenders he has, is the common denominator with MOS, BvS and now JL. Shame on WB for letting it get to a third film.
    Ummm....I believe you'll find that studio interference was ALSO a common denominator.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Ummm....I believe you'll find that studio interference was ALSO a common denominator.
    How do you know that studio interference didn't salvage whatever that remained of Snyder's films? so far people have liked the character dynamics and hated the villains while being lukeworm to the plot. We know for a fact that credit for the former goes to Whedon while the latter is all Snyder. Snyder's incompetence necessitates studio interference. The real blunder committed by WB was bringing Snyder back for BVS and then JL.

I feel like crying.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Just watched it. It's very fun and moves like a freight train to the finish line.

If Wonder Woman & The Avengers had baby delivered with the same visual style as Man of Steel & BvS, you'd have Justice League.

It is very much a Frankenstein monster of two very different filmmakers, but it sorta works if you squint a bit at the lack of connective tissue that's missing to keep that 2 hour running time.

What works more than outwieghs what doesn't, the trinity is all given a good showing. Affleck, Gadot & Cavill are very effective. It's a shame Superman isn't given enough time with them to develop any kind of rapport with them, for instance, Superman & WW still don't have any kind of relationship. Again, time constraints probably nixed this, because the bits he has with Lois & Ma Kent, in addition to his scenes with Bruce & Barry are nicely crafted.

The Flash & Aquaman are both very well served. They both get just enough development that we want to see more from them. Cyborg is just sort of there because the plot requires him to be. If you are a big Cyborg fan, maybe you'll dig this, but he's the least fun and interesting of the bunch. There's no way he's getting a solo film out of this.

Steppenwolf is a CGI baddie...and all that entails. He's not really there to be much more than a threat that brings the League together. He's serviceable, but a flesh and blood actor could have brought more to the table here.

If I had to rank them, Wonder Woman is still the gold standard, with Justice League, Man of Steel, the Director's cut of BvS, then Suicide Squad and the theatrical cut of BvS (both of which barely function as movies)

If you don't go in expecting a masterpeice, it's a very fun time. Lots of laughs and eye candy. Fun group dynamics. Cool action. I can't imagine too many people being put off by this movie, except for the most vocal BvS diehards who like their superheroes grim, dark and tortured. This is most decidely NOT that.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Well damn...Maybe he should've wrote in some scenes for Steppenwolf, rather than the sexual quips...

I've been among the "I love what the DCEU has given to us" crowd since Zack made MOS. Even though I recognize SS is not a good movie, I still have fun watching it. And I love BvS. It's one of my favourite CBM. While I really loved WW, BvS is more to my liking.

Not that the introduction is done: Justice League? I dig it!

I was afraid it would feel like a MCU movie, and MCU movies are not my cup of tea, even though I like several of them. But it never feels that way. The tone is very similar to WW's tone. The stakes feel real, the movie takes itself seriously, but there are several lighter moments, humor that comes from the situation and doesn't feel out ot place and some scenes even manage to be moving (looking at you Henry Allen).

The cast is incredible. Ezra is the Flash. He brings so much genuinge humor and emotion. It's the first movie I see him in (I'm not counting BvS and SS since he's in it for 10 seconds) and he was amazing. I really liked Ray Fisher as well. Momoa was great and he was way more than just Aquabro. You can feel how his story is interesting even though the movie doesn't spend a lot of time with him.

The trinity was incredible. We already knew Gal and Ben were born to play their role, but this time, even Cavill gets his due. Not that I think he wasn't great before (because he was), but I think this time he will win the audience's heart for good. He really feels like the classic Superman. You could say he's the rebirth superman in a way. He was in it an adaquate time, but I'm sure most people will want to see more of him. He speaks a damn lot this time around too. His return scene was amazing and even kinda frightening.

Speaking of which, the action scene a, once again, really creative and different from what you see in other CBM. There are a lot of action but most of the fights are not that long. Even the climax is not very long. But every action scene offers a great hero moment. I think WW's introduction is one of the best showing she ever had. The history lesson, while short, is as legendary as you may think. There is also a very creative chase involving a mother box that was breathtaking.

The story was simple, but effective and allowed every hero to have his moment. Their interactions were really good and in line with what you would read in a good comic book. It definitely feels like the Grant Morrison JLA in the sense that every hero has a chance to shine and every single one is well written.

Steppenwolf was a really intimidating villain with a great presence. He was a legitimate threat to the world and to the team.

Zack is a great visual director and it shows: some shots are simply glorious. It's a beautiful movie to look at. It really feels like a sequel to both MOS and BvS in that regard.

Elfman was the only disappointment to me. I mean, his score is effective and works in the context of the movie, but it's totally forgettable and I can't forgive him for not using MOS theme or what are you going to do when you're not saving the world.

I prefer BvS, because it was such an ambitious, interesting and different movie, but I really loved Justice LEague. It made me want to watch again the other movies and the next ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That's the thing, its not several lines or even whole dialogues. Its one or two lines that really shed light on why Lex is the way he is.

Its just the general lack of information surrounding all of that. Lex just happens to have secret dossier files about all these characters that end up forming the JL. How convenient. Its comes across as exactly what it is: a device to rush into the JL movie.

No, its not on the audience. Filmmakers have one job: to tell a story. If they can't do that clearly (and make no mistake, BvS is anything but clear) or concisely or in a way that makes sense to the audience, then they've failed to do their job

They just didn't like Luthor generally as a character. There were many reasons why. Eisenberg did the best with what he was given.

They kinda are. A lot of the time, his humble beginnings are used as a way to bolster his reputation as a "self-made man," which only exacerbates why he hates Superman (a guy who was born with it all).

The only bias I've seen in reviews is a bias for movies that effectively communicate their themes and developments. The reason critics use Marvel as an example is because Marvel has been able to do that for the majority of their films. Plus, the whole Marvel bias theory falls apart when we also take into account that several Marvel TV programs have been slammed with bad reviews as well.

And, lastly, when a movie is to the point where someone watching it can get lost so easily, by missing one word or one line of dialogue, then that means the movie is not coherent. It means that its anything but.
    BvS is anything but clear? I guess it wasn't if you really wanted to not understand it. My wife is by no mean a comic book reader and she had no trouble at all understanding Lex motivation or plan. My dad is in the same boat and he understood the movie very well. Actually, most people I've talked with about Bvs understood it.

If you get lost so easily, like you put it, it may not be the movie's fault.