Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Pa Kent was the worst character of DCEU, he was saved by Costner's acting.

Jonathan Kent: You have to keep this side of yourself a secret.

Clark Kent: What was I supposed to do? Let them die?

Jonathan Kent: Maybe...

Seriously? This is the guy who raised Superman?

What was I supposed to do?
    Just let them die?

Maybe....there's more at stake here than just our lives Clark, or the lives than those around us.

I didn't see as many complaints when Pa Kent called Clark dressing as Superman "playing dress up" in Birthright

Pa Kent was the worst character of DCEU, he was saved by Costner's acting.

Jonathan Kent: You have to keep this side of yourself a secret.

Clark Kent: What was I supposed to do? Let them die?

Jonathan Kent: Maybe...

Seriously? This is the guy who raised Superman?
    I can see why fans hate it. Superman is Superman because of his parents. The Kents play such an important role in Superman that their importance cannot be understated.

At the same time i am more forgiving then other fans. I don't like this take but it is an interesting take. It strikes home in this 21st Century world where people leave in fear and mistrust. When he says 'Maybe' it simply means that he is a decent person. He wants to protect his son. That's the first and prime motive of any parent. Second, Clark's presence has brought something much bigger then the Kents, Clark and maybe even the lives of the people. He is the answer to the question that 'Are we alone in this Universe?' That question has such a fundamental and deep implications to the world and the society. Religion and man's understanding and his place in the universe is brought into question. Clark is here for a purpose. Jonathan knew that someday he will become 'Superman'. Look at the last montage. Jon knew the inherent goodness of his son's heart. But before Clark acts upon that he must find those answers. In short, he shall not be hasty.

At the same time he can't say from his heart that he can let the children die. Protecting their children is one thing but allowing others to die? That's unacceptable. Not knowing the answer he says maybe. I like that. He does not say 'maybe' because the kids can die.

Its real and is an interesting take. I like it but at the same time i don't like it as something which is responsible for creating Superman. Jonathan Kent's fatherly advice is so important for the Superman mythos that such a thing appears to be an anathema for everything that is Superman.

I get why people hate it. But i can see what they were trying to do. Its bold. Its interesting. Whether it worked or not i can't decide. Pa Kent appears like a real person here. But does he appear like Pa Kent? No. I am always of the view that Superman is such that he takes the best of humanity within him. Such people like Pa Kent of comics exist in real life. Such people existed in 1978 just as they do now. The world needs such people.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-23-2017 at 04:20 AM.

I watched "Justice League" for the second time yesterday. I still stand for my original opinion on this movie, but I must say that the difference between Snyder's original footage and Whedon's reshoots gets even more glaring in a second viewing. And I'm not talking about CGI, green screen or whatever, I'm talking about tone and quality of direction/writing. This movie looks like a "Zack Snyder movie", but it doesn't FEELS like one. With "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman", I left the theater in awe. With "Justice League", I left feeling...empty.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    I watched "Justice League" for the second time yesterday. I still stand for my original opinion on this movie, but I must say that the difference between Snyder's original footage and Whedon's reshoots gets even more glaring in a second viewing. And I'm not talking about CGI, green screen or whatever, I'm talking about tone and quality of direction/writing. This movie looks like a "Zack Snyder movie", but it doesn't FEELS like one. With "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman", I left the theater in awe. With "Justice League", I left feeling...empty.
    Yup the big one is in how things are directed, Snyder directs things with atmosphere, you can easily tell what is shot by Whedon.

Now it's confirmed to exist I need that Snyder cut!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Yup the big one is in how things are directed, Snyder directs things with atmosphere, you can easily tell what is shot by Whedon.

Though Snyder's JL cut is confirmed to exist has it been confirmed to actually be complete - i.e., vfx and score?

I dunno if WB would be willing to pour in the money needed to finish Snyder's cut if so, given that they might end up losing money on JL and that they weren't fans of his OG cut to begin with.

At most I'm expecting 10-20 extra minutes of cut-stuff like Vulko and Iris West on the blu-ray added into the film though I suppose we might get a Richard Donner Superman II cut style take on Snyder's cut one day down the line, with MoS/BvS music reused to substitute for an original Junkie XL score. (though the fan community has already done a bang-up job syncing Zimmer's work with JL scenes, though the vids have since inevitably been deleted!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He said "maybe." A word that by definition suggests a lack of certainty. Everything about his tone of voice and body language made it pretty obvious he didn't really mean what he said. He was a father who had a moment of selfishness in which he prioritized his own son's welfare over anyone else's. Just like EVERY half-decent father would.

Bottom line? Clark continued to help people long after that talk, so clearly Jonathan didn't continue to discourage him.

Jonathan Kent was definitely Jonathan Kent in a realistic world in which ANY effort is made to acknowledge the likely dangers an alien child would face on this planet. The "classic" Jonathan Kent who encouraged his son to go around brazenly showing off his alien nature to the world can pretty much only exist in a Sliver Age world, populated by a very different human race than the one that inhabits this planet.

With regard to his death? We have not one scrap of evidence that Clark had superspeed at that time. Even if he DID have superspeed, you'll notice that every time he used it in the movie, he tore up the local scenery? There is no reason, based on observation, to believe that Clark COULD have saved him without harming him and/or exposing himself to the world.
    If you are uncertain about should a BUS FULL OF INNOCENT KIDS die, you are very very low even as ordinary guy, not to say Superman's dad.

Clark just need to run in and grab him out, it took Pa Kent like 15 sec to get there, and they stared for like 20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I can see why fans hate it. Superman is Superman because of his parents. The Kents play such an important role in Superman that their importance cannot be understated.

At the same time i am more forgiving then other fans. I don't like this take but it is an interesting take. It strikes home in this 21st Century world where people leave in fear and mistrust. When he says 'Maybe' it simply means that he is a decent person. He wants to protect his son. That's the first and prime motive of any parent. Second, Clark's presence has brought something much bigger then the Kents, Clark and maybe even the lives of the people. He is the answer to the question that 'Are we alone in this Universe?' That question has such a fundamental and deep implications to the world and the society. Religion and man's understanding and his place in the universe is brought into question. Clark is here for a purpose. Jonathan knew that someday he will become 'Superman'. Look at the last montage. Jon knew the inherent goodness of his son's heart. But before Clark acts upon that he must find those answers. In short, he shall not be hasty.

At the same time he can't say from his heart that he can let the children die. Protecting their children is one thing but allowing others to die? That's unacceptable. Not knowing the answer he says maybe. I like that. He does not say 'maybe' because the kids can die.

Its real and is an interesting take. I like it but at the same time i don't like it as something which is responsible for creating Superman. Jonathan Kent's fatherly advice is so important for the Superman mythos that such a thing appears to be an anathema for everything that is Superman.

I get why people hate it. But i can see what they were trying to do. Its bold. Its interesting. Whether it worked or not i can't decide. Pa Kent appears like a real person here. But does he appear like Pa Kent? No. I am always of the view that Superman is such that he takes the best of humanity within him. Such people like Pa Kent of comics exist in real life. Such people existed in 1978 just as they do now. The world needs such people.
    Anything that's not a "YES" is very very low, we are talking about a bus full of kids.

If Clark could let they die, how is he going to do greater good for humanity?
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 11-23-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post

I've always felt Snyder takes really great source materials and makes good movies so yeah for me it always goes from great to good once he's involved.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Though Snyder's JL cut is confirmed to exist has it been confirmed to actually be complete - i.e., vfx and score?
    It was confirmed that the cut's VFX is incomplete. Here's a good article on this very issue.

https://screenrant.com/justice-leagu...-director-cut/

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

If you are uncertain about should a BUS FULL OF INNOCENT KIDS die, you are very very low even as ordinary guy, not to say Superman's dad.

Clark just need to run in and grab him out, it took Pa Kent like 15 sec to get there, and they stared for like 20 seconds.
    He wasn't uncertain. His body language tells the tale: he knew he was wrong. But as a father concerned for his son, he had a weak moment and said some things he didn't mean. People do things like that all the time.

If it was as simple as you say, one assumes Clark would've done it, regardless of his father's wishes.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He wasn't uncertain. His body language tells the tale: he knew he was wrong. But as a father concerned for his son, he had a weak moment and said some things he didn't mean. People do things like that all the time.

If it was as simple as you say, one assumes Clark would've done it, regardless of his father's wishes.
    Then WHY did he say it at all? He is a father and others aren't? Can you imagine how much pain would they endure if they lost their kids? Do you think Superman should be taught "maybe you should let them die" in his childhood? Seriously?

The real Pa Kent should immediately swim down trying to save his son and other kids. Then trying to cover for Clark and be very happy about his son's heroic action. This is the Pa Kent I know.

Astonishing Member

Hey with all these deleted scenes being mentioned did anyone remember that scene tat Cavil described that was never in the final film?

The scene in which Superman after comes back to life he argues with Batman about who's the leader of team? I wonder if that scene is in the original Snyder cut.

Incredible Member

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...nesday-1061290

JL made 10.5 Million yesterday

Coco made 13.2 Million, that does include 2.3 from Tuesday’s preview but even if you ignore that it still outpaced JL. Looks like JL will in fact be dethroned their 2nd weekend if this continues for Coco which is now estimated to make more than 70 Million, their projections keep creeping up.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

He is a father and others aren't?
    He is a father of an alien. Others aren't. Pa Kent is obligated to think of a bigger picture, since DCEU takes more grounded, realistic and serious approach with DC characters, he has to think about how Clark might affect and change the world forever, which might not be his right to decide, so he has to keep him secret. This is Pa Kent who doesn't magically knows all the right answers in the universe that will leave everyone happy.

This is also what Perry was talking about "Can you imagine how people on this planet would react if they knew there is someone like this out there?".

Flashpoint Superman showed us what would happen if Clark got exposed at early age. This is exactly kind of development that Pa Kent in DCEU was afraid of.

Also, since you mentioned that Pa Kent is a parent and that others might be not? I think any parent would think about safety of his kid above all first. This might be egoistic, but that's what parents actually do. You can't ask father to chose between safety of his son or safety of kids that are not his.

Again, just because DCEU Pa Kent doesn't know all perfect, kindest and purest answers in the world doesn't mean he is a bad father. He is a realistic father.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    He is a father of an alien. Others aren't. Pa Kent is obligated to think of a bigger picture, since DCEU takes more grounded, realistic and serious approach with DC characters, he has to think about how Clark might affect and change the world forever, which might not be his right to decide, so he has to keep him secret. This is Pa Kent who doesn't magically knows all the right answers in the universe that will leave everyone happy.

This is also what Perry was talking about "Can you imagine how people on this planet would react if they knew there is someone like this out there?".

Flashpoint Superman showed us what would happen if Clark got exposed at early age. This is exactly kind of development that Pa Kent in DCEU was afraid of.

Also, since you mentioned that Pa Kent is a parent and that others might be not? I think any parent would think about safety of his kid above all first. This might be egoistic, but that's what parents actually do. You can't ask father to chose between safety of his son or safety of kids that are not his.

Again, just because DCEU Pa Kent doesn't know all perfect, kindest and purest answers in the world doesn't mean he is a bad father. He is a realistic father.
    How is it different for them to lose their kids?

There is NO big picture, if Clark can let a bus of innocent kids die and do nothing for his own safety, how is he going to save the world rather than becoming a selfish jerk? Superman is never someone who would worry about HIS OWN SAFETY when others' lives are in danger. This is god damn selfish and not something should come out from Pa Kent.

Yes they care about their kids first, but most of them won't let so many lives die just to ensure their kids' safety, that's not really healthy love, but something really selfish and low. This should NEVER come out from Superman's dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In addition to Jonathan Kent and Hippolyta, we now also have Henry Allen and Dr. Silas Stone.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    With the former in prison while the latter's relationship with his son is...complicated at best (haven't seen Justice League yet).