Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Quite good, so Black Mantra is going to be the supporting villain? Wasn't he the arch-nemesis of Aquaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Quite good, so Black Mantra is going to be the supporting villain? Wasn't he the arch-nemesis of Aquaman?
    He'll probably be less front and centre in the movie than Ocean Master but I'm sure Manta's the one who figures into Lex's plans for JL2 on the Aquaman front.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-27-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Superman's fucked for good, there's no doubt about it. JLs cemented that, it turned Supes into a caricature of the Reeves version with awful dialogue and some weird confidence & spunk that comes out of nowhere just to placate people.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd also like to add that, no matter what they do, WB-DC is now irreparably behind Disney-Marvel in every possible aspect. They couldn't gain ground again even if they fired Kevin Tsujihara. Even if they put a completely different director in place of Snyder for JL2. Disney-Marvel literally occupied every possible slot and the slots which they didn't occupy were taken by Fox (Deadpool, Logan, Legion, etc). They made comedies, spy stories, sf, horror-ish films and they are making movies about a black hero, a female hero (the only slot which DC-WB vaguely succeeded in) and in 2018 Disney is releasing a little something titled Avengers 3. And that movie is the climax of a path which started almost 10 years ago and included something like 20 works, all of them extremely successful. There is zero doubt that it will leave a huge impact on pop culture and there is literally zero hope for WB-DC to do something like that in the short/medium term. It will probably be something in the same league of SW-A New Hope in terms of success and popularity. But wait, there's more - one year later, we have Avengers 4.

I mean, it's not that Disney-Marvel stops while WB-DC desperately tries to understand what the heck they want to do with their characters. And yes, a comparison DC-Marvel - or rather WB-Disney - is important because even if you don't like Marvel movies (personally speaking, I am not particularly fond of them) every non-Marvel movie which follows their same path is just deja vu at this point. Been there, done that. And one of the reasons behind the general disinterest in JL (yes, I think that at this point we can talk of general disinterest) is that Avengers came before it and JL didn't even try to explore a different path. And it is an extremely flawed, badly done movie. But that's another subject.
    Last edited by Myskin; 11-28-2017 at 02:50 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

Aquaman has a bunch of arch-nemesiseses, and Black Manta's not the one that killed his kid or caused him to lose a hand.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Aquaman has a bunch of arch-nemesiseses, and Black Manta's not the one that killed his kid
    Actually, he is.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Aquaman has a bunch of arch-nemesiseses, and Black Manta's not the one that killed his kid or caused him to lose a hand.
    Not really. It's mostly Manta and his brother to a lesser extent.

Also, yeah Manta was the one who killed his kid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Actually, he is.
    Okay, I'm seriously missremembering stuff then. My bad.

Astonishing Member

Okay, I'm seriously missremembering stuff then. My bad.
    No prob.
    By the way, to be fair, Black Manta even chopped Aquaman's hand on ONE occasion (this is from Brightest Day 19)
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_a5umKNb_k...vs-Aquaman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Before the year 2000 and X-Men Marvel really only had 3 visible characters to the general public.

1: Hulk thanks to his TV show.

2: Captain America due to his cultural standing and some bad serials and movies.

3: Spider-Man due to him being basically the face of Marvel and their most popular character for decades and having many cartoons and a failed live action show.

But out of those 3 only Hulk did people know any real details about thanks to the TV show. Spider-Man was a Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade float and some might know the character to be jokey that's about it and many knew next to nothing about Captain America except who he was when shown but no actual details about the character.

Compare that to DC and I mean in particular the DC Trinity Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

My late grandfather was born in 1922 he never read DC comics as a kid neither did my mum but they knew those characters due to Radio, TV, and Film. They didn't only know them they knew things about them they knew Superman was from Krypton, worked at the Daily Planet, and had a love interest in fellow reporter Lois Lane and friends Jimmy Olsen and Perry White. They knew Batman's origin and Dick Grayson was Robin and Alfred and Commissioner Gordon. They knew about Wonder Woman and being an Amazon they knew those characters and did for decades the DC Trinity are a part of Americana they're like Baseball and Apple Pie to the general public in America. It's their legacy and some might say their curse most Marvel characters are blank slates to the general public so they'll accept any version the MCU puts out but people have expectations for the DC Trinity for better or for worse and if you don't meet those expectations they won't watch.
    That doesn't change a thing. It's still double standards.

Yep, and why didn't they push back the JL project?
    There's usually a bunch of tie-in marketing deals already in place that relies on the movie being released in a certain time-frame. For example, that was apparently why David Ayer only got a few weeks to scribble down a story before Suicide Squad needed to go into production.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    No prob.
    By the way, to be fair, Black Manta even chopped Aquaman's hand on ONE occasion (this is from Brightest Day 19)
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_a5umKNb_k...vs-Aquaman.jpg
    I've never understood how Black Manta can go toe-to-toe with Aquaman like that, isn't he just a regular dude with knives and a laser helmet?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I've never understood how Black Manta can go toe-to-toe with Aquaman like that, isn't he just a regular dude with knives and a laser helmet?
    This is something I hope the film addresses by establishing Black Manta has a suit that enhances his stats, or is just that damn good of a strategist (I'd personally like the two mashed together) because I've always found this pretty ridiculous in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Manta's armor grants him superhuman strength and contains a wide array of weapons such as a telepathic scrambler (used to temporarily strip Aquaman of his aquatic telepathy), twin blades, a hand-held trident, energy beams and a harpoon gun that he can fire from his right wrist gauntlet, miniaturized torpedoes, and optic blasts emitted from the eye lenses in his helmet. He goes toe-to-toe against Aquaman the same way any human in comics fights superhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    This is something I hope the film addresses by establishing Black Manta has a suit that enhances his stats, or is just that damn good of a strategist (I'd personally like the two mashed together) because I've always found this pretty ridiculous in the comics.
    That's literally how it is in the comics.