Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking
    Such dark and gritty element is a major reason of DCEU's struggle, even though they have learned their lesson since WW.
    some wanted it to stay 'dark'

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Suicide Squad's Oscar win can also be chalked up to pretty weak competition that year. I don't remember who the runner's up were, but I remember that none of them really stood out as being exceptional works.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Has anyone here compared Suicide Squad to Moonlight? That would be silly if they did. And who said SS was "lauded for its story or its direction"? I certainly didn't.
    Yet you keep bringing up their Oscar win for makeup as if it implies that the film is actually a good movie. Again, the movie was torn to shreds by critics when it came to the actual quality of the story. Those are just the facts. The fact that the makeup was good does not change that.

Also, to be honest, an Oscar is an Oscar lol "It was only Best Makeup, it's not like it was an important award or anything"...tell that to the makeup artists for each film who have worked their tails off their entire career. But hey, keep on keeping on that hate train guy. MCU keeps getting nominated? Maybe someday they'll win one (uh oh, there's that smiley again...)
    Its an important award...for the makeup team. They did their job well. But, again, that doesn't mean the story presented was at all good. It was a mess. The movie failed in many other regards.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-05-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    How Justice League could get nominated for best visual effects is beyond me. It has obvious CGI and Steppenwolf looks like a Hulk who hasn't been composited correctly from 2003. Even the backgrounds are clearly not present so I am just under the impression it was a mediocre year for SFX if Justice League of all things gets the nomination.

I also still call bullshit on Suicide Squad. What blew so many people away on it that it was the best of the year? The same makeup can and has been done by cosplayers for decades. Killer Croc was cool but as a latex monster costume it's not that impressive, that sort FX is actually really common. I'm almost positive The RPF has done it long before the movie.
    Unless I read it wrong, I think Justice League is on the "shortlist". Nominations haven't actually gone out yet, and I highly, highly doubt JL gets a nom for any category.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yet you keep bringing up their Oscar win for makeup as if it implies that the film is actually good. Again, the movie was torn to shreds by critics when it came to the actual quality of the story. Those are just the facts. The fact that the makeup was good does not change that.
    Today is literally the first time I've ever mentioned the Oscar, so no - I don't "keep bringing it up." And nobody is arguing the film was torn up by critics, but that has nada to do with the makeup. I never said the story was "good", so you can stop putting words in my mouth (I know this is how you debate, but it's fairly juvenile. Try debating what they actually said).

Its an important award...for the makeup team.
    Thank you for repeating what I said. Glad we agree.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 12-05-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member

To the second bolded part, thank you for repeating what I said. Glad we agree.
    Just as long as we agree that SS is not some critically acclaimed masterpiece because it won something completely divorced from the actual story (the thing that people watch movies for in the first place).
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhichDrWhowins View Post
    some wanted it to stay 'dark'

I must admit i did not watch the full video. Is it implying that Justice League failed because it was not 'dark' and was 'generic'? But aren't MCU films opposite of dark and many fans call it generic?

I say it flopped because you have these films BvS and SS which were disliked by the people in general. Combine that with MoS which was divisive too, you have three divisive films in DCEU.

Divisive film series don't work for long. They show a decrease over time. Transformers and Pirates of Carribean are proofs. Justice League is not just a failure by itself, but its the result of the previous films.

Just as long as we agree that SS is not some critically acclaimed masterpiece because it won something completely divorced from the actual story (you know, the thing that people watch movies for).
    I agree that it won an Academy Award, yes. I agree that it wasn't due to story, acting, or directing, yes.

I don't agree that ALL people only watch movies for the parameters you set in your post, but not everyone pays attention to the technical stuff. Largey depends on your background & interests, I suppose.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Suicide Squad's Oscar win can also be chalked up to pretty weak competition that year. I don't remember who the runner's up were, but I remember that none of them really stood out as being exceptional works.
    It was Suicide Squad, Star Trek Beyond and La La Land for best hair and make up. La La Land cleaned up at the Oscars and Trek won the make up Oscar in 2009 ( that film didn't even have that many aliens to begin with). Beyond's work compared to Suicide Squad's was pretty weak. Only 2 stand out aliens and they had really small, bit parts.

The Oscar win is significant for other reasons though. As many critics of SS hated the street, tatted and messy look for the characters. Now though, those are Academy Award winning tattoos. Lol.

Its funny to see people react to SS's win. Critics flamed the film, so people on the internet take their world as gospel. The Academy recognizes and awards the film an Oscar for it's unique aesthetic, and people on the internet say winning an Oscar for make up isn't that big a deal and nothing special.

Granted, if Doctor Strange had won for best SFX earlier this year, you'd never have heard the end of it. Strange having lost to The Jungle Book. A Disney film beat another Disney film. X(

Extraordinary Member

I agree that it won an Academy Award, yes. I agree that it wasn't due to story, acting, or directing, yes.

I don't agree that ALL people only watch movies for the parameters you set in your post, but not everyone pays attention to the technical stuff. Largey depends on your background & interests, I suppose.
    People don't watch movies in order to enjoy a good story? That's the point of movies or any form of entertainment.

People don't watch movies in order to enjoy a good story? That's the point of movies or any form of entertainment.
    Its not a big deal as you make it. Make Up is a technical award. People don't go to watch make up. Sure. But its an award category rewarding excellent work in one aspect. Not the whole. But a part of it.

That's not what I said. I said "not all", not "nobody". People get entertainment from many different things, and it's not always to do with the story. There's a reason so many people buy something like Transformers on 4K to see it on their new 4K home theater setups. They're not buying that for the story lol (at least, I hope they're not)

Some people watch & enjoy things just because it catches their eye. I'm not a fan of the story in Reeves' Apes trilogy, but I enjoy them for the eyecandy visuals. People are different.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Its funny to see people react to SS's win. Critics flamed the film, so people on the internet take their world as gospel. The Academy recognizes and awards the film an Oscar for it's unique aesthetic, and people on the internet say winning an Oscar for make up isn't that big a deal and nothing special.
    You realize the Academy is split up so that members of different professions vote on the nominations in the different categories, right? Actors vote for actors, directors vote for directors, and so on. The makeup artists decided that Suicide Squad had good makeup. And it did. The team there did their job. But the acting branch, the directing branch, the screenwriting branch, the editing branch, etc. would all probably tell you the film was a mess in when it came to those things.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-05-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Its not a big deal as you make it. Make Up is a technical award. People don't go to watch make up. Sure. But its an award category rewarding excellent work in one aspect. Not the whole. But a part of it.
    True, for the most part. There are people though who seek out films for things such as makeup combined with costumes & set design.

I own 'Gone With the Wind' on bluray, but I sought it out because of the technical achievements in that film. I surely don't care about whether Rhett Butler decides to "give a damn" or not. There are other films in my collection for the same purpose, even if the vast majority are in there because I enjoy the story first & foremost.

You realize the Academy is split up so that members of different professions vote on the nominations in the different categories, right? Actors vote for actors, directors vote for directors, and so on. The makeup artists decided that Suicide Squad had good makeup. And it did. The team there did their job. But the acting branch, the directing branch, the screenwriting branch, the editing branch, etc. would all probably tell you the film was a mess in when it came to those things.
    Nobody here is arguing differently, though. You seem hellbent on making a point that everyone already agrees with.