Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Finding Nemo? And isn't that supposed to be the main hook of Avatar 2 as well?
    Finding Nemo was a cartoon that basically looked like any other cartoon that took place on dry land. You could substitute birds or airplanes for fish and you'd get the same feel.

No one knows how well the Avatar sequels will do. What made the first Avatar a hit was the groundbreaking 3D effects and the light show of CGI aspect of it. People had never
    seen anything quite like that before. The story itself was pretty weak and just a retread of any number of noble savage westerns of decades before. By now 3D and fantastic GCI
    are been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Finding Nemo was a cartoon that basically looked like any other cartoon that took place on dry land.
    Show me one that had the same scenery as the underwater vistas as Nemo? Finding Dory and The Little Mermaid don't count.

You could substitute birds or airplanes for fish and you'd get the same feel.
    Well I didn't say fish was the main pull for Aquaman Though talented visual directors and marketers can make anything look and feel super exciting and fun.

No one knows how well the Avatar sequels will do. What made the first Avatar a hit was the groundbreaking 3D effects and the light show of CGI aspect of it. People had never
    seen anything quite like that before. The story itself was pretty weak and just a retread of any number of noble savage westerns of decades before. By now 3D and fantastic GCI
    are been there, done that.
    Lol Avatar sequels will be huge, especially with the billion dollar Mouse House marketing arm pushing it.

Anyway, unless the visuals are just flat and unimpressive, a superhero/royal intrigue action adventure fantasy like Aquaman taking place in the mesmerising underwater world should get people talking. We'll know what the film can deliver when the first trailer drops.

BANNED

Finding Nemo? And isn't that supposed to be the main hook of Avatar 2 as well?
    Cartoons about fishes are different.
    And I have never been tempted to watch even the first Avatar.

Depends. They shot mostly in Australia so they'll receive tax rebates.
    Should still be more expensive than shooting not underwater in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Cartoons about fishes are different.
    Isn't that what the criticisms about superhero blockbusters are from people like Jodie Foster? That they are basically becoming theme park rides/flashy cartoons. Doesn't stop them from making money.

And I have never been tempted to watch even the first Avatar.
    James Cameron wipes a tear with one of the notes from the 3 billion or whatever ridiculous amount that film made.

Should still be more expensive than shooting not underwater in Australia.
    ?

Show me one that had the same scenery as the underwater vistas as Nemo? Finding Dory and The Little Mermaid don't count.
    Bambi, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland. All have as rich and elaborate scenery above ground as Finding Nemo did under the water.

Well I didn't say fish was the main pull for Aquaman Though talented visual directors and marketers can make anything look and feel super exciting and fun.
    You misunderstood. What I meant in the fish couldn't do anything in Finding Nemo that a bird or an airplane couldn't do. The fish swim around in three dimensions, the birds and airplanes fly around in three dimensions.
    The animated movie Planes was a good example of that. I didn't say someone couldn't do underwater live action that was good. I just felt using a cartoon or a movie that hasn't even been released yet as examples
    of what could be done wasn't a good example. Supergirl did some scenes with Supergirl swimming underwater in the first episode this season of Supergirl that looked pretty good and actually looked like Supergirl
    was underwater. With a big budget movie like Aquaman I would expect something that looks even better than that.

BANNED

Isn't that what the criticisms about superhero blockbusters are from people like Jodie Foster? That they are basically becoming theme park rides/flashy cartoons. Doesn't stop them from making money.
    I don't see where you're getting that from.

And underwater movies are not really a big money-making thing.

Did Tan say that there won’t be underwater dialogue in Aquaman? So do the Atlantians speak in sign language? If the speaking underwater is an issue just given them telepathy but maybe only between Atlantians.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Did Tan say that there won’t be underwater dialogue in Aquaman? So do the Atlantians speak in sign language? If the speaking underwater is an issue just given them telepathy but maybe only between Atlantians.
    Exact opposite, in fact. He said there IS underwater dialogue. I'm very curious to see how he handles it.

All we know for certain is he said that the underwater dialogue won't be like the undewater dialogue in Justice League, with Arthur and Mera conversing within an air bubble Mera created.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Phantom Menace is almost my least liked Star Wars live action theatrical film only above Attack of the Clones. But the one thing I'll give that film is the Gungan City might be the best representation of an underwater city. It looked amazing and the force fields keeping the water out, I'll admit explaining how people speak in water and the look of the city are the most concerning to me. Because a submerged city would need protection from the Salt Water to look good IMO and I really do want Atlantis to look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't see where you're getting that from.

And underwater movies are not really a big money-making thing.
    Regarding Foster's comments, VFX heavy superhero blockbusters basically equal cartoons and Disney theme park rides is what I think she meant. That it was more flash, spectacle and CG, less "humanism".

As for "underwater" genre so far, there has been a grand total of what, 7? And that's counting the successes like Finding films, Shark Tale, The Little Mermaid and that 47 Meters Down film last year.

Aquaman puts superheroes and flashy battles in that world and is directed by the Fast 7 director. On paper, that's a homerun. First trailer will give us an idea of whether they have actually pulled it off.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-08-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Exact opposite, in fact. He said there IS underwater dialogue. I'm very curious to see how he handles it.

All we know for certain is he said that the underwater dialogue won't be like the undewater dialogue in Justice League, with Arthur and Mera conversing within an air bubble Mera created.
    i wonder how the underwater scenes would be like... will it be like the abyss... hopefully it won't be like the air bubble mera made in justice league.

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-...e-kroll-steps/

And Tsujihara's stupid ass is out!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-...e-kroll-steps/

And Tsujihara's stupid ass is out!

Yes! Combine that with Hamada becoming the Feige of the DCEU, and I'd say things are looking up!

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yes! Combine that with Hamada becoming the Feige of the DCEU, and I'd say things are looking up!

Yup the guy who did the Friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street remakes is in charge.

Well at least he got better with the it remake. Has this guy done anything that's not a scary movie? I know he did 47 ronin. Any of his non scary movie stuff good? Anyone seen them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yup the guy who did the Friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street remakes is in charge.

Well at least he got better with the it remake. Has this guy done anything that's not a scary movie? I know he did 47 ronin. Any of his non scary movie stuff good? Anyone seen them?
    I don't know if he has done anything that isn't scary.

And he's been on a real roll recently, so I'm more than willing to look past a few bad remakes. The mere fact that they were remakes means it was almost impossible for them to measure up to their predecessors. It's definitely to his credit that he presided over one of the few remakes that HAS managed to measure up or possibly even surpass it's predecessor.

One important thing? The next two DCEU films coming out are both directed by directors with whom Hamada has worked (with great success) in recent memory.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--