Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    This an accidental double negative?

I think Snyder loves the idea of superheroes as something he can twist and play with, but doesn't acknowledge/understand the value of them in their natural state.

In an AU where we got a great DC cinematic universe and it was as big as marvel, I could see Zack doing well doing a separate universe of elseworlds movies.
    I think Snyder is the kind of comic fan that likes the idea of superheroes, but more so in the Injustice or Frank Miller off-line, radical interpretation manner. But when you're charged with starting the first ever cinematic universe, that is just a failure. Total, absolute failure of a vision. And shame on WB for not intervening sooner.

Fantastic Member

You can see WB really gave Zack Snyder a lot of creative freedom. After WB decided they need to change the tone of their Superhero movies, Zack still got enough autonomy to put together a cut that's merely "slightly more optimistic" than BVS.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    You can see WB really gave Zack Snyder a lot of creative freedom. After WB decided they need to change the tone of their Superhero movies, Zack still got enough autonomy to put together a cut that's merely "slightly more optimistic" than BVS.
    After BvS, there was no logic in moving forward with Snyder on JL other than saving face and not halting production (which should have never begun prior to knowing the public response to BvS).

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I think Snyder is the kind of comic fan that likes the idea of superheroes, but more so in the Injustice or Frank Miller off-line, radical interpretation manner. But when you're charged with starting the first ever cinematic universe, that is just a failure. Total, absolute failure of a vision. And shame on WB for not intervening sooner.
    Agreed on all fronts. I think they also erred considerably in equating Snyder's and Nolan's visions, and not realizing they weren't at all the same. MoS was kind of close, so I can understand them not immediately pivoting after that, but after BvS he should have been immediately canned while JL was delayed.

For the life of me, I can't understand all this hate around BvS. It's probably the best super-heroes movies by far out there, being both an exellent movie on its own and what a shared universe should be... WB should have given carte blanche to Snyder for JL and told Whedon to change nothing and the film would have been better that what he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Every adaptation is an alternate universe with changes from canon. Snyder's Superman was nothing like his Injustice or Frank Miller counterparts and has precedent in a number of comics as well as Smallville.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think Snyder, at a very basic level, just does not get superheroes.
    You know, if I had a dollar every time a comic fan said this about a creator they don't like, I'd be rich enough to buy DC comics.

Seriously, what exactly is being posted in that tweet that hasn't been done before? Especially in stuff like Kingdom Come? At least this Superman's absence wouldn't be a result of him throwing a kiddy fit because he wasn't top dog anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    https://twitter.com/I_Am_MFR/status/962760977711329280

Possible details about Snyder's cut.
    Honestly, however much we complain about what the final product of JL ended up being, this doesn't sound like it would've improved it much.

But your mileage my vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    "Orange & green for Halloween? WB licensing event attendee says the AQUAMAN movie costume shown is "exactly" like the modern comics version!"

https://twitter.com/AquamanShrine/st...92087319777280
    Wonder how long before we get official costume shots of everybody.

I think all of this hate over Snyder's version is pretty silly considering nobody here has, you know, actually seen the thing. "Oh boy, we have tweets! Start the hate train!"

I didn't care for Civil War, but it would be silly of me to say how much the Russo's Infinity War is going to suck simply because I haven't seen it yet. I kind of have to watch it first, and not just read tweets about it, to make a determination. Maybe that's just me.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

BANNED

Snyder is old news, he's finished now. DC films will be better off without him.

BANNED

I think WB should consider Plastic Man as a feature film

He's funny

off the rails

immensely powerful

and he's an FBI agent

they could make it a goofy superhero spy movie paying homage to 60's James Bond knockoffs

and back in 2016 the big rumor was that DC was optioning lesser known properties to make more low budget films that could generate success but not completely fail the DCEU if they were to flop

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    For the life of me, I can't understand all this hate around BvS. It's probably the best super-heroes movies by far out there, being both an exellent movie on its own and what a shared universe should be... WB should have given carte blanche to Snyder for JL and told Whedon to change nothing and the film would have been better that what he was.
    The Ultimate Cut was an good film, the Theatrical Cut was just a mess, and the shared universe aspect was decent till those email files which was just a laughably bad idea IMO.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    https://twitter.com/I_Am_MFR/status/962760977711329280

Possible details about Snyder's cut.
    While having Steppenwolf as an obvious precursor to Darkseid would've been a much better take, I'm not sure about Superman's personality post-resurrection.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love that version to be released, if only for the basis of comparison, but I can't say that it'd be better than what we got.

As much as I enjoyed Justice League, I would like some sort of extended version, even if it's an extended theatrical cut, if only to help improve the flow of the first act.

EDIT: Warner Bros seemed to bring this whole fiasco (JL's reception/box office) on themselves. They clearly didn't want Snyder after BvS but didn't wanna delay JL. When they saw his JL, they either fired him or accepted his resignation and brought on a guy with totally different sensibilities to redo most of the movie. THEN they hack that version up to fit under 2 hours. It just seems like it was a comedy of errors behind the scenes.

If they were gonna keep Snyder, they should have just bitten the bullet, did what he wanted and then moved on once it released. You can't argue that what they did resulted in anything better (critically or financially). At least then it would've been artistically consistent with what came before.

Again, I really liked Justice League (I'm going to see it again tomorrow night, in fact), but it seems like WB did more harm trying to fix the movie than they would have simply going with what Snyder gave them.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 02-12-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Addition
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I liked BvS when I saw it in theaters. It got so much hate and when I watched it a second time about a year later, I understood why. It's fun but heavily flawed. It tried to do way to much in terms of universe building.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Warner Bros seemed to bring this whole fiasco (JL's reception/box office) on themselves. They clearly didn't want Snyder after BvS but didn't wanna delay JL. When they saw his JL, they either fired him or accepted his resignation and brought on a guy with totally different sensibilities to redo most of the movie. THEN they hack that version up to fit under 2 hours. It just seems like it was a comedy of errors behind the scenes.

If they were gonna keep Snyder, they should have just bitten the bullet, did what he wanted and then moved on once it released. You can't argue that what they did resulted in anything better (critically or financially). At least then it would've been artistically consistent with what came before.

Again, I really liked Justice League (I'm going to see it again tomorrow night, in fact), but it seems like WB did more harm trying to fix the movie than they would have simply going with what Snyder gave them.
    Agreed. I understand Snyder has his fans, so him being bad or good is just going down a road we've all been down before.

What I think both parties can agree on is that WB half assing it was terrible for everybody. They either should have axed Snyder post BvS and delayed JL or gone all in on Snyder's vision for JL. Using his leave of absence (if it even was that) as a way to make a last second pivot was just complete foolishness.