Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Tyler perry wasn't put in charge of a big budget series that wb wanted to compete with Disney and make a billion. His movies tend to cost nothing to make.

With that said there is nothing wrong with liking the "dcu" films. It's the same as liking chuck Norris 80s films and 70s ninja films. Everyone has films they love others don't. What annoys me is the hardcore dcu fans that attack marvel and come up with every excuse they can why the films failed other then they are bad films!

I love krull but I know it's a bad film that bombed. I'm fine with that and won't get mad if someone else hates it. It's a guilty pleasure. I won't attack neverending story over it. BVS and justice league can be guilty pleasures also but you have to accept most folks hated bvs or thought jl was "ok".

And yes marvel fans attacking dcu fans stink also. Attack the film all you want if it stinks but don't attack the fans. They didn't make the movie.

Ouch I fell off my soapbox. I'll go now.
    I seldom post here. I'm more or a lurker. And I don't think I'm one to attack the MCU even though I would say I'm not the target audience for most of their movies.

But when I see such a condescending post, It makes me want to post.

It's your right not to like Bvs or MOS. It's your right to say so. It's also your right to think those are bad movies.

But to claim they are objectively bad movies and basically implying people can only appreciate those movies as guilty pleasures (meaning they are bad or we are moron to sincerely love them) is simply disrespectful.

The same goes for Carabas stance by the way.

I would never claim a MCU fan is wrong to like these movies or is wrong to think they are good. Because I'm not pretentious enough to think I own the truth about what a good movie is.

However, I know what a good movie is to me. To me, BvS is an amazing movie, with a lot of layers, and I enjoy watching it even more each time.

I'm sad by the way WB treated Snyder like a nobody. You may not like his movies, but he's someone with a true identity, and his works are bold and ambitious.

On a personal level, I would rather have bold and ambitious, if flawed movies, than movies that play it safe, even though they may have less flaws. This is why I love comic books. There are a lot of creators who do their damn best to use the medium in the best ways possible, using the most formidable imagination and are trying to push the boundaries of the genre. There are also creators who are expert at their crafts but won't try to push the boundaries. And it's great.

But I'm convinced we should strive to applaud creativity and ambition. And in that reard, there, imo, few directors as comic booky as Zack Snyder. And BvS is a testament to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Regardless of how people feel about Snyder he posed questions and ideas for the mythology of superheroes that we had not seen before.

This article from last month summed it up perfectly:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7b6d51525212
    That writer had no clue what they were talking about one saying Tony Stark is a plot devise and not a person in the MCU is just crazy Tony has had one of the best character progressions of a comic character on film his reasons for changing always due to the experiences of his life.

As for the "Questions" Snyder Asked like how would the world react to a god amongst men in Man of Steel he asked that with Watchmen and credit goes to Alan Moore not Snyder.

Next Batman learning he's now at the bottom of the food chain in BvS that's a major part of every X-Men movie with humanity coming to grips with that very question.

That sounded less like an article and more a press release from Snyder's Publicist.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I seldom post here. I'm more or a lurker. And I don't think I'm one to attack the MCU even though I would say I'm not the target audience for most of their movies.

But when I see such a condescending post, It makes me want to post.

It's your right not to like Bvs or MOS. It's your right to say so. It's also your right to think those are bad movies.

But to claim they are objectively bad movies and basically implying people can only appreciate those movies as guilty pleasures (meaning they are bad or we are moron to sincerely love them) is simply disrespectful.

The same goes for Carabas stance by the way.

I would never claim a MCU fan is wrong to like these movies or is wrong to think they are good. Because I'm not pretentious enough to think I own the truth about what a good movie is.

However, I know what a good movie is to me. To me, BvS is an amazing movie, with a lot of layers, and I enjoy watching it even more each time.

I'm sad by the way WB treated Snyder like a nobody. You may not like his movies, but he's someone with a true identity, and his works are bold and ambitious.

On a personal level, I would rather have bold and ambitious, if flawed movies, than movies that play it safe, even though they may have less flaws. This is why I love comic books. There are a lot of creators who do their damn best to use the medium in the best ways possible, using the most formidable imagination and are trying to push the boundaries of the genre. There are also creators who are expert at their crafts but won't try to push the boundaries. And it's great.

But I'm convinced we should strive to applaud creativity and ambition. And in that reard, there, imo, few directors as comic booky as Zack Snyder. And BvS is a testament to that.
    I have to agree with you even if i am not a Snyder fan. Its one thing to say people in general did not like it which appears to be true. But its another thing to impose. I say BvS was a bad film, but i can't say you have to accept it that its bad. If people are trying this way then its not possible to reach any kind of understanding. We keep moving in circles. Its not possible to change someone's experience like that.

What we can understand is that films are subjective. You think a film is good. Nice. You think a film is bad. That's nice too. Then we can get into discussions about why it is good or bad. That's a more fruitful discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I have to agree with you even if i am not a Snyder fan. Its one thing to say people in general did not like it which appears to be true. But its another thing to impose. I say BvS was a bad film, but i can't say you have to accept it that its bad. If people are trying this way then its not possible to reach any kind of understanding. We keep moving in circles. Its not possible to change someone's experience like that.

What we can understand is that films are subjective. You think a film is good. Nice. You think a film is bad. That's nice too. Then we can get into discussions about why it is good or bad. That's a more fruitful discussion.
    Exactly. And while I may not always agree with your posts, I know you are part of the people who are always respectful of other's opinion.

Regardless of how people feel about Snyder he posed questions and ideas for the mythology of superheroes that we had not seen before.

This article from last month summed it up perfectly:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7b6d51525212
    I agree with some stuff. Not with others.

Tony Stark has a personality and character. To say it does not exist is erroneous. I don't understand what this Marvel indoctrination thing is. And the hero defeat a bad guy and save the world is a standard superhero trope. It exists in both DC and Marvel films.

But i agree that Snyder did try something different and interesting. I applaud the effort. Wish it had turned out better reception wise. Wish i liked those films a bit more. But what is done is done. I am glad that you enjoy them.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-14-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Wasn't trying to get everyone mad. Sorry I posted it guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Wasn't trying to get everyone mad. Sorry I posted it guys.
    Don't worry about that. It's something I wanted to say for a while anyway, since you're not the first person to say this kind of thing.

BANNED

I wish the upcoming Aquaman and Shazam movies had their own dedicated threads so that I would't have to go through the umpteenth rehashing of the same tedious and circular arguments, when I want to look at the latest news about those movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    That doesn't mean he is a good director. X-Men: The Last Stand brought up several moral and ethical questions not seen in any other superhero movie. It asks whether a person would choose to remove an aspect of their identity to better fit in with society and if they should have that choice at all. Each character has to think about what being a minority means to them. Unfortunately it was directed by Brett Ratner. Few people on Earth would call The Last Stand a good movie even though it asks questions not seen before.
    okay but I literally said "regardless of how people feel about Snyder" so that means it is without regard, AKA I don't care if you think he's a good or bad director

sorry to have confused you

Astonishing Member

okay but I literally said "regardless of how people feel about Snyder" so that means it is without regard, AKA I don't care if you think he's a good or bad director

sorry to have confused you
    I'm not confused. I'm just pointing out that posing new questions and ideas is not an indicator of quality. And I then used an non Zach Snyder movie as an example.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Zack Snyder shared another deleted scene (Cavill is in the coffin in the bottom of the pic )...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I'm not confused. I'm just pointing out that posing new questions and ideas is not an indicator of quality. And I then used an non Zach Snyder movie as an example.
    still wasn't the point of my original post

Astonishing Member

still wasn't the point of my original post
    And yet, I still feel comfortable posting my comment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Yes, i hate it when they do that. You have an awesome MCU, why beat upon DCEU. Any fan of comic book movies will be happy with Marvel and Fox and wish WB get their act together.

Now, Marvel is not the only away. Look at X-Men series of Fox for fans of more serious takes of Snyder. As well as the recent Black Panther. Its possible to succeed by not pandering to the lowest common denominator as such fans say.
    Not when folks take issue with WHO is being used.

See Michael B Jordan and Fantastic Four-folks shouldn't have to fear gun violence at a theater because certain folks take issue with a casting.

There are folks who are NOT happy with Black Panther's success. Funny how guys who don't kill in comic sales are finding success outside of it.

Or bitter Cyborg fans mad that there was hype for Panther not Cyborg. It's not the pubic's fault DC dropped the ball on Cyborg in and outside of comics.

Panther, Groot, Antman and GOTG prove comics book sales is not a key in determining outside success. And we are not near the burn out point when we look beyond the obvious choices.

What annoys me is the hardcore dcu fans that attack marvel and come up with every excuse they can why the films failed other then they are bad films!
    Like Fantastic Four? Where folks wanted Jordan run out of the industry instead of looking at everything else that ruined that film?

What folks look for are scapegoats.

Because that REALITY you speak of doesn't compute to folks.

We get too carried away in sales and who we think is ultra popular.

A film with Batman, Superman, WW, Aquaman & Flash got taken to school by a guy in a cat suit.

What does that mean big picture?

Marvel took advantage of a cry for more "representation" beyond what was being tossed out. It is paying off.

Justice League can't beat that. A bad film is not going to beat starving public and a film that was actually good.

DC fans have to call out the WB. If business was taken care of along with cleaning out the too many cooks in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    See Michael B Jordan and Fantastic Four-folks shouldn't have to fear gun violence at a theater because certain folks take issue with a casting.