Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Ava DuVernay to Direct DC’s Superhero Epic ‘New Gods’: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/av...dc-1202725043/
    I mean, Ava DuVernay seems like the kind of visionary director you need to realize the New Gods on-screen, but I'm not going to put a lot of stock in DC pulling this off when they can barely even get the DCEU going.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Ava DuVernay to Direct DC’s Superhero Epic ‘New Gods’: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/av...dc-1202725043/
    this is an inspired pick I guess.

Still idk what DC is thinking as their universe is being critically bashed left and right outside of Wonder Woman. Idk how they can get enough moment to knock it out of the park
    The J-man

DuVernay is no Patty Jenkins. But she isn't the worst person for this job either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    DuVernay is no Patty Jenkins.
    what does that even mean

ava is an award winning director whose films have had immense impact among African American cultures and broken new ground for African American and female filmmakers and writers

if anything she is of a much higher caliber and status than Jenkins and is arguably far more talented

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    what does that even mean

ava is an award winning director whose films have had immense impact among African American cultures and broken new ground for African American and female filmmakers and writers

if anything she is of a much higher caliber and status than Jenkins and is arguably far more talented
    Well for one, Jenkins proved she knows how to do a fantasy-based adventure superhero film. DuVernay on the other hand didn't do a very good job with her fantasy adventure film. Her race bares no relevance to this topic.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-15-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

DuVernay is no Patty Jenkins. But she isn't the worst person for this job either.
    What's so great about Patty, again? I enjoyed WW, but it was a typical superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's good that they are getting around to it and it's paying off, but on the movie front it took them a while. DC actually beat them to it and seemed to try to respond to it by going with Wonder Woman, whereas the MCU isn't going to have a female lead movie until Captain Marvel comes out (the 21st movie). We STILL don't have a Black Widow movie. Black Panther is incredibly important and a game changer, but it is also 18 movies in. Meanwhile, Wonder Woman is getting a sequel and Jason Momoa isn't another white dude. DC has some work to do with their overall quality, but Marvel has less excuses for waiting so long to get these rolled out after being successful for so long. Widow should have gotten a Phase 2 film.
    To be fair....a Black Widow movie? For what reason?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    To be fair....a Black Widow movie? For what reason?
    any excuse for a movie about a nice looking lady in a tight catsuit beating up fools is a good excuse :P

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    What's so great about Patty, again? I enjoyed WW, but it was a typical superhero movie.
    The fact that she made a great superhero movie. The only one in the DCEU so far. I will be rooting for Ava and despite my current skepticism, hope she ends up making a great superhero movie too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    any excuse for a movie about a nice looking lady in a tight catsuit beating up fools is a good excuse :P
    Is there enough there for a movie, tho? Also, would it be Mission Impossible good? Would it have Atomic Blonde action? If not, then there's no point. You can get what you described in other movies about female Marvel characters with powers.

The fact that she made a great superhero movie. The only one in the DCEU so far. I will be rooting for Ava and despite my current skepticism, hope she ends up making a great superhero movie too.
    It wasn't great. It was good, tho, but nothing memorable.

IMO, it's the 3rd best DCEU movie.

With Ava, Idk. I'll wait to see how far this progresses. The tone will be determined by the writers and actors she gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I mean, isn't that part of the appeal of Superheroes in general to some degree ?

BANNED

Well for one, Jenkins proved she knows how to do a fantasy-based adventure superhero film. DuVernay on the other hand didn't do a very good job with her fantasy adventure film. Her race bares no relevance to this topic.
    I never even mentioned her race. I'm talking about her talent as an artist not her background or ethnicity. DuVernay has more experience as a filmmaker, just because someone else made a "better film" in the same genre doesn't make them comparable. Besides the only reason you are comparing the two of them is the fact that they're both women which in itself is sexist. "She's no Patty Jenkins" AKA "this female director doesn't live up to this other female director" placing them in a completely separate category from male directors when they should be all in the same category.
    Last edited by Elmo; 03-15-2018 at 07:58 PM.

i wonder how they're gonna pull off Barda, what with her being close to 7 feet tall.

i just hope they are true to the source material. the Mother Boxes in Justice League didn't have any of the classic Kirby circuitry or designs. they need to make Scott, Barda, and Orion look comic accurate!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

‘Making Sense of The Latest THE BATMAN Rumblings’: https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/03...man-rumblings/