Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And where the actors publicly asking to play Hal Jordan?

Between the two of them who was the one people were asking to be the star of a movie and who is the one associated with one of WB's biggest superhero bombs?
    Why would anyone need to try and publicly shill themselves to play Hal Jordan the way that Tyrese Gibson was doing for John Stewart? That was hardly a ringing endorsement by the way. I hope that when John Stewart does get cast that it will be an actor with more gravitas getting the role, let's put it that way. You think that when a vacancy for Hal Jordan becomes available that there'll be no takers? Hardly.

You are clinging to another fallacy there also. The 2011 GL movie bombed because it was poor. Not because of any failings with the Hal Jordan character.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    You are clinging to another fallacy there also. The 2011 GL movie bombed because it was poor. Not because of any failings with the Hal Jordan character.
    If the movie is good, any GL will do.

If the movie is good, any Flash will do.

If the movie is good, any Batgirl will do.

If the movie is good, any Blue Beetle will do.

And so on...
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I can think we all agree nobody here (whether they agree to it publicly or not ) wants their favorite Batgirl to become Oracle, because it's considered a downgrade.
    I actually think Babs going back to being just Batgirl after carving out such an important niche for herself in the DCU as Oracle was the downgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I actually think Babs going back to being just Batgirl after carving out such an important niche for herself in the DCU as Oracle was the downgrade...
    But I'm assuming (maybe I'm wrong) that you prefer another Batgirl instead of Barbara, so I wasn't talking about you, anyway. Besides, if she were still Oracle, would anybody at WB be talking about a solo film for her?

BANNED

But I'm assuming (maybe I'm wrong) that you prefer another Batgirl instead of Barbara, so I wasn't talking about you, anyway. Besides, if she were still Oracle, would anybody at WB be talking about a solo film for her?
    I always loved Babs as Batgirl, but she became exponentially more powerful as Oracle.

Her Batgirl was a second rate rooftop vigilante, Oracle was in the JLA and ran her own global operations. And could still personally put street level opponents in the hospital when push came to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I always loved Babs as Batgirl, but she became exponentially more powerful as Oracle.

Her Batgirl was a second rate rooftop vigilante, Oracle was in the JLA and ran her own global operations. And could still personally put street level opponents in the hospital when push came to shove.
    But who sells more comics or (potentionally) movies: Oracle or Batgirl? I'm putting my money on the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For a time during/after JLU, sure, but considering how much success GL has seen under Johns' pen, the movie and animated adaptions, and his presence in video games and general merchandise... I'd say Hal is equally iconic in the public eye, if not moreso than John.

Outside that one cartoon, John really hasn't done a whole lot. He's been in a select number of video games, but it's foolish to think he's the most iconic GL by a mile. That said, he's the only one in the running against Hal in that respect. Nobody really knows about Kyle, Guy, Alan or the new kids.
    I say that really says a WHOLE lot, though. Hal Jordan has been pushed in media and merchandise for years when Geoff Johns took over, who made the franchise quite popular in the comics. While Hal Jordan has been in DTVs, video games, advertisements, the main guy in GL comics, a TV show, and a movie, John Stewart has been MIA in mediums, except for Young Justice at the time. Hal Jordan was being pushed for YEARS, while John was MIA. Despite all of that, John Stewart is still the biggest competitor to Hal Jordan in being considered the most iconic GL. Even if one is more iconic than the other, it's pretty close. And I say that's really damn impressive, considering a show that ended over a decade ago.

There's a reason why John is co-leading alongside Hal Jordan in the GLC film.

BANNED

But who sells more comics or (potentionally) movies: Oracle or Batgirl? I'm putting my money on the latter.
    I don't care one little tiny bit about that.

And if you start thinking of it like that, then what sells more comics or (potentionally) movies? Batgirl or another Batman project?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't care one little tiny bit about that.

And if you start thinking of it like that, then what sells more comics or (potentionally) movies? Batgirl or another Batman project?
    I don't think we're talking about the same thing now, Carabas. My earlier point was being a superhero is considered more prestigious than being a master hacker. Maybe that's wrong, but I believe that is the prevailing opinion.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Justin Kroll of Variety has even stated that WB wants to use BOP to launch Batgirl like Civil War did for Panther. I suspected as such in one of my previous posts where I noted that the BOP writer got the Batgirl gig. So evidently WB is following the Marvel/Panther route.
    No, WB is following the DC/Wonder Woman route.
    Justin Kroll must have forgotten that WB applied that tactic first.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    No, WB is following the DC/Wonder Woman route.
    Justin Kroll must have forgotten that WB applied that tactic first.
    Heh. WB/DC can't get credit for anything.

BANNED

I don't think we're talking about the same thing now, Carabas. My earlier point was being a superhero is considered more prestigious than being a master hacker. Maybe that's wrong, but I believe that is the prevailing opinion.
    Maybe. But Oracle was a superhero. Fancy codename and secret identity and all. She kicked Brainiac's ass.

When Grant Morrison puts you in his Justice League, you're about as superhero as it gets.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Babs had to develop those skills by virtue of her circumstances. Babs wasn't a computer genius before her crippling. If they want then they can make Cass one too. If not a hacker then some other skill set which can be useful in a wheel chair.

And where exactly did the Wayne's die as part of a conspiracy? Where did Ra's say that he impaled them? They died as a result of a random crime, Nolan kept that intact.
    So I literally have no clue what you're reaching for here.
    It's more that Ra's set the stage for their deaths. He and the LOS tanked Gotham's economy to further their goals. This in turn made people like Joe Chill so desperate that they felt like they had to resort to crime just to survive, and of course the Wayne's died as a consequence. Without Ra's doing what he did, that attempted robbery probably wouldn't have happened and Bruce's parents wouldn't have died.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by EyesWideKubrick View Post
    John Campea is a sexist idiot. He has no valid points regarding film whatsoever.

As for the arguments, I'm on Elmo's side. The MCU's formulaic approach destroys movies as an art. Their films are not going to be remembered as an art whatsoever.
    MCU is unashamed
    Last edited by TomServofan; 04-19-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Changed his race from black to white. They didn't know enough about the lore to know that there is more than one Earth Green Lantern, and the one they were thinking of wasn't named Hal Jordan (and his name was said in the trailers).
    Who is to BLAME for that? DC.

His John iconic enough for people to know anything more about him than his race?
    Who is to blame for that? DC for the failure to build any other black characters and yes that include the mess known as Cyborg.

From 1986-2000-how black characters even bothered to appear in DC stuff? Outside of comics? Let alone POC. So if I am sitting at home and the only POC I see on cartoons between the big two are Falcon, Blade, Panther, Prowler, Rocket Racer & Storm from Marvel. Then I get one from DC-of course folks will flock to him.

You have Lebron's (who was born in 86) and up generation finally seeing a black male superhero as a colead in cartoons from DC. That spoke volumes to many folks along with some guy named Virgil.
    A guy who was one of the few blacks to have merchandise that one did not have to HUNT for. It's why you saw Finn from Star Wars toys sell out in 13 hours, New Day ranks 4th in WWE sales, Black Panther toys sell out, Donald Glover's Lando figure is HTF.

It's DC's FAULT for not building up on it. And if John was in that film and it TANKED-JOHN STEWART would be blamed and BURIED even worst than he has.

If the movie is good, any GL will do.
    If you want a crappy box office. There are folks who will NOT support that film being Hal or John only. One of them will get you a bigger backlash thanks to some guy in a catsuit fighting Johnny Storm.

Because someone will have to explain where is John. Even if you use both-it will be picked apart to see how John is done.

And I am sure Marvel will gladly counter a Hal movie with Miles Morales or Black Panther 2 or worst case Falcon as Captain America or worst worst case X-Men. Just to troll.