BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I think WB meddled with the other movies besides WW because the clearly had no faith in Snyder or Ayer.
    They meddled because Snyder and Ayer made the final cuts of their movies at least half an hour longer than they were allowed to be.
    And then WB meddled in the worst ways possible. Nobody comes out of this mess smelling great.

BANNED

I think WB meddled with the other movies besides WW because the clearly had no faith in Snyder or Ayer.
    How many people know it was Christopher Nolan who pitched and supported Snyder to be the mastermind of DC movies.
    Out of all the hate BvS gets, the biggest problem to me with the film was Superman being so powerful that most of the plot made little sense because Superman can get things done with ease. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I find it more enjoyable than many of the Marvel movies but I am a bigger fan of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman meaning I will always love watching them more especially Batman.

Snyder's career is over at WB. WB has asked themselves the obvious question. Why do other directors they have used on multiple occasion Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Alfonso Cuarón, David Yates all succeed with their WB project and Snyder does not.
    Spielberg and WB worked together so well on Ready Player one he could not wait to return for Blackhawk and WB was glad to have him back. Snyder is Out. He may likely never direct a big movie again definitely not under WB. I can't say much of Ayer as I have no clue of his movies.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They meddled because Snyder and Ayer made the final cuts of their movies at least half an hour longer than they were allowed to be.
    And then WB meddled in the worst ways possible. Nobody comes out of this mess smelling great.
    Nope. Snyder was told he could make BvS a three-hour movie, then WB reneged on that at the last minute.

The rest of what you say is accurate enough though.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Nope. Snyder was told he could make BvS a three-hour movie, then WB reneged on that at the last minute.

The rest of what you say is accurate enough though.
    Yeah, it wasn't like Snyder was doing an Erich von Stroheim on WB. They knew how large the film he wanted, but WB decided to make unhelpful cuts, anyway .
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, it wasn't like Snyder was doing an Erich von Stroheim on WB. They knew how large the film he wanted, but WB decided to make unhelpful cuts, anyway .
    Yep. And then they went and cut the worst possible stuff to cut, to make matters worse.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yep. And then they went and cut the worst possible stuff to cut, to make matters worse.
    Fortunately, WB learned their lesson after that and... wait, they didn't!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    To be fair, X-Men started that way and nobody complained about too many characters being introduced from the get-go. Who cares about what critics think anyway, it only matters what the audience thinks. After all, JL failed because it wasn't a good crowd pleaser, not because it had a bad RT score.
    You might need to say that again.

Also where were all these Blade & GOTG fans that demanded movies? No one cared who was on the screen as long as the films were GOOD.

No one asked who Static, Jessica Jones, the cast of Legends of Tomorrow, Cloak & Dagger, Runaways and many more who folks had no idea who they were. For many all it matter was the product WATCHABLE?

Remember we are talking about making a film to get EVERYONE in theaters not just the echo chamber of hate or comic nerds. There are folks who don't read the comics but like characters.

You do a movie version of say Blackest Night and revise it to include Cartoon Justice League Unlimited (some of them), Titans, Young Justice kids & Green Lantern CORPS (not just Hal).

Show me the person who DARES take issue with or ask why should I care about- them?

We are talking Superman, Batman, WW, John Stewart, Hal, Kyle, Guy, Tim, Jaime Reyes, Wally, Barry, Static, Hawkgirl, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Aquaman, Vixen, Arrow, Nightwing, Cass, Conner, Bart, Speedy, Artemis, Aqualad, Meggan, Manhunter, Sinestro, Black Lightning and lets toss in Harley. I just gave you everyone that has appeared in cartoons of some form.

Fanboyism alone will deter complaints. Unless the script stinks.

Syfy posted an article about the Aquaman trailer.

Pretty good buzz to be found there. At this point, I'm more pumped to see this trailer than I am the Infinity War film.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

BANNED

They meddled with them to satisfy the “It’s too dark” complaints.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Glad to hear the positive news about Aquaman. Atlantis always had the potential to wow audiences as a spectacle when realized on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't give Snyder much credit but today I must WB cutting out Darkseid from Justice League was a huge mistake. Thanos is getting some good praise and it's just sad when Darkseid is brought to the big screen the general audience will probably judge him as a Thanos knockoff when it's actually the other way around.
    I definitely agree that's an unfortunate outcome. But on the other hand, it might be best for them to avoid him in the near future anyway. I think that's what the "a league of our own" scene was indicating; a high-profile supervillain team (outside of the X-Men I suppose) is one thing that hasn't been done yet in comic book films. And for me, it would be even better if that segued into a villain and hero team-up against the bigger bad. Because comic book stories and movies alike are over saturated with boring big bads; a story about reconciling differences and redeeming villains to fight a bigger evil would definitely be something new and more exciting than a mere boss battle.

I think Darkseid and New Gods may still have the edge because of their Game of Thrones-ian Royal Family intrigue, Apokoliptian politics and power structures along with the history with New Genesis that make their stories more intricate than Thanos.

Having said that, I can't come up with a reason why Feige is suddenly interested in Eternals (especially when he's getting the rights to the X-Men and the Fantastic Four), other than wanting to compete with DC's recently announced New Gods project, initiating a Kirby creation arms race of sorts.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think Darkseid and New Gods may still have the edge because of their Game of Thrones-ian Royal Family intrigue, Apokoliptian politics and power structures along with the history with New Genesis that make their stories more intricate than Thanos.

Having said that, I can't come up with a reason why Feige is suddenly interested in Eternals (especially when he's getting the rights to the X-Men and the Fantastic Four), other than wanting to compete with DC's recently announced New Gods project, initiating a Kirby creation arms race of sorts.
    That's definitely true, but I think it's harder to pull off on screen. Added to the fact that Thor already "got their first" in a sense with Odin, Loki, Hela, etc. A Kirby arms race could be a shit show.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

He could simply be looking at potential alternatives should the fox deal fall through. If they made a Guardians movie, shouldn't be that hard to believe that they are open to anything at this point.

Infinity War was pretty great. I don't think i've ever seen a film with that many stars and characters packed into it. truly a monumental feat and they pulled it off. there are so many characters and they still manage to tell a very compelling Thanos story. Marvel has been criticized for having paper thin villains, but they did an amazing job with Thanos. while watching Thanos tear through the Marvel universe and seeing how emotionally powerful his story was, i realize it will be incredibly difficult to have Darkseid follow this.

my only complaint with the movie is that i, personally, am so sick of the "Marvel style comedy" and quips. it got to the point where it felt forced in this film. does every character have to be a smartass?!?

while watching it i couldn't help feel sad about all the screw ups and missed opportunities that WB has had. if only Green Lantern wasn't a crap fest and they could have been building their DC movieverse since 2011. can you even imagine if it was the Legion of Superheroes instead of the Guardians of the Galaxy? Darkseid and the New Gods instead of Thanos and the Black Order? the entire Satellite Era Justice League plus more modern heroes? all in one freakin movie!

WB needs to stop going with "visionary directors" and focus on people with good storytelling skills like the Russo Brothers. James Wan seems to fit that bill. Obviously they have Patty Jenkins too. hopefully there are more directors like them going forward.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-28-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    While watching Thanos tear through the Marvel universe and seeing how emotionally powerful his story was, i realize it will be incredibly difficult to have Darkseid follow this.
    Not to mention the irony, given that Thanos is a Darkseid ripoff, not vice-versa. WB is responsible for the Bizarro world we live in, where DC has to follow Marvel with characters they created first.