Page 1873 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 87313731773182318631869187018711872187318741875 LastLast
Results 28,081 to 28,095 of 28116
    Incredible Member

As for Matt Reeves, I have resolved unless it comes from Matt himself, everything is heresay and take it with a grain of salt.

But with Snyder, I was geniuenly interested in his ideas and he brought some good concepts to the DCEU (Polynesian Aquaman, a Batman who has experience and been through some stuff before he meets Superman, a Wonder Woman who's been around since World War 1, among other), it was always the execution that was lackluster and disappointing. That being said, I would be disappointed if he killed Dick before he even showed his face in the DCEU, so I am glad that wasn't in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Wow. That is a lot of equivocating right there. Seriously. Why did he even bother writing all that? There are so many "coulds" and "mights" that he may as well have not written anything at all.
    Agreed, he's not saying anything new lol. Anyone could say that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Genuinely glad he's not involved anymore. Starting a cinematic universe out of DKR was always a colossal blunder and possibly the reason things have been so difficult to catch on.
    It's very different from the comics, but I see no reasons at all why it wouldn't work amazingly well, provided the films are competently made.

Fantastic Member

Lively is the only one who looks like Dinah, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's very different from the comics, but I see no reasons at all why it wouldn't work amazingly well, provided the films are competently made.
    Doing Moore's and Miller's DKR as a movie can certainly work; one could even say that that was what Nolan did, though he did so very loosely. But it requires a filmmaker like Nolan who doesn't mistake style for substance; Zack Snyder is not that filmmaker.

But, more fundamentally, note that what Nolan—and Moore and Miller—did was a conclusion to Batman's character arc. By starting at that point in Batman's career, you're opening up the cinematic universe on the wrong end for one of your most central characters. That Snyder didn't realise that shows how shallow his understanding of story-telling is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Doing Moore's and Miller's DKR as a movie can certainly work; one could even say that that was what Nolan did, though he did so very loosely. But it requires a filmmaker like Nolan who doesn't mistake style for substance; Zack Snyder is not that filmmaker.

But, more fundamentally, note that what Nolan—and Moore and Miller—did was a conclusion to Batman's character arc. By starting at that point in Batman's career, you're opening up the cinematic universe on the wrong end for one of your most central characters. That Snyder didn't realise that shows how shallow his understanding of story-telling is.
    To me the end of The Dark Knight Returns feels as much as an ending as a new beginning for Batman.

Just my opinion but both Nolan and Snyder aren't great storytellers, whilst Nolan I think is a far superior director to Snyder he feels too clinical and often misses the big heart moments of his films.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Just my opinion but both Nolan and Snyder aren't great storytellers, whilst Nolan I think is a far superior director to Snyder he feels too clinical and often misses the big heart moments of his films.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

To me the end of The Dark Knight Returns feels as much as an ending as a new beginning for Batman.
    Or at least a new beginning for Bruce Wayne; doing an ending that has the elements of a new beginning is a hallmark of many great stories. But what Snyder did was backtracking on Batman's character from the Nolan's TDKR, and doing so without any kind of showing how that happened.

Or at least a new beginning for Bruce Wayne; doing an ending that has the elements of a new beginning is a hallmark of many great stories. But what Snyder did was backtracking on Batman's character from the Nolan's TDKR, and doing so without any kind of showing how that happened.
    You can't backtrack on a version of a character you never directed.

Also, we did see what made Bruce like this. It's right there in the beginning when he witnesses the battle in Metropolis.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You can't backtrack on a version of a character you never directed.

Also, we did see what made Bruce like this. It's right there in the beginning when he witnesses the battle in Metropolis.
    That, plus twenty years of the stress and exertion of waging an endless war against the crime and corruption of a city with a seemingly endless supply of crime and corruption. To say nothing of the loss of at least one person with whom he was close.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Using Dark Knight returns as a starting point for Batman is a terrible idea but the idea of a grizzled semi-retired Batman could work. Where the DCEU version fell short was Synder taking the Batman from that story and thinking 100% this is how Batman should be. DKR is good but its a deconstruction of the character, it's semi-serious satire of the character.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Lively is the only one who looks like Dinah, imo.
    I think Kirby looks a lot more like Dinah, honestly.
    I'm not sure that new beginning would work in the context of a burgeoning DC Cinematic Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't want to rehash the endless debates about Snyder or harp on him too much, but ultimately I think it's become pretty clear that his vision wasn't the right one to direct a DC Cinematic Universe, but I think on that front Warner Bros. is as culpable, if not moreso.
    As someone who loves both Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, I agree with you. Snyder is a great visual director, but he really needed someone to rope him in on some of his story elements. Luckily, it seems like a lot of his most damaging ideas were ultimately cut anyway, so most of the harm he inflicted remains reparable by simply not acknowledging it ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    There was a time there that it seemed like everyone at Warner Brothers believed that DC comics was created in 1986 by Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
    I think Warner Bros. were and still are in large part obsessed with separating their live-action superhero films from the tone of the Joel Schumacher Batman films. As is often the case with extremes, though, they swung the pendulum just as hard in the opposite direction.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I love Snyder and most of his choices thus far but I am glad Dick can be salvaged. With a perfectly good story with Jason as the focal point instead, it would be a huge waste of an iconic character and the potential to have them interact and reflect on their past.