Page 2 of 1875 FirstFirst 12345612521025021002 ... LastLast

I'm glad that DCE/WB is not forcing all the projects/properties to be connected, because I really don't see the point.

I mean, obviously, MOS, Superman vs. Batman, Justice League, and any sequels/spinoffs, will be part of the same universe, but why should everything be? Why should "The Metal Men" be in the same world, and be forced to work in the same tone, just so they can work in a cameo and say "it's all connected"?

Splitting up the properties allows for more diversity in storytelling and tone.

It also let's the heroes of those separated stories, be the main heroes of that world. Sony's Spider-Man has to figure out how to stop these threats without the hope that the Avengers will swoop in and help him save the day.
    Last edited by ABH; 05-02-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    its not much, but it probably was intentional
    Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    I guess. It's too vague to say.
    Yeah, let's just hope it was intentional!
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I don't think they need to connect the TV shows and the films necessarily. Aquaman needs his own film, because I'm sure he'll be in the Justice League movie. Just...don't make it have the same tone as the Nolan films. That dark, gloomy tone really only works for Bat-characters and apparently Arrow. Just take a look at New 52 Aquaman and see how they made him BA. Also, Wonder Woman. I'm surprised they haven't announced a solo film for her yet. If it were up to me, I'd make sure every member got a movie before Batman did, just because we just had Nolan's films come out not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    its not much, but it probably was intentional
    Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I'm glad that DCE/WB is not forcing all the projects/properties to be connected, because I really don't see the point.

I mean, obviously, MOS, Superman vs. Batman, Justice League, and any sequels/spinoffs, will be part of the same universe, but why should everything be? Why should "The Metal Men" be in the same world, and be forced to work in the same tone, just so they can work in a cameo and say "it's all connected"?

It also let's the heroes of those separated stories, be the main heroes of that world. Sony's Spider-Man has to figure out how to stop these threats without the hope that the Avengers will swoop in and help him save the day.
    Agreed.

Shazam, for instance. With a good movie, Shazam/Captain Marvel can regain the popularity he had in the '40s (I believe that he can become the #1 Superhero, among kids),

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    I don't think they need to connect the TV shows and the films necessarily. Aquaman needs his own film, because I'm sure he'll be in the Justice League movie. Just...don't make it have the same tone as the Nolan films. That dark, gloomy tone really only works for Bat-characters and apparently Arrow. Just take a look at New 52 Aquaman and see how they made him BA. Also, Wonder Woman. I'm surprised they haven't announced a solo film for her yet. If it were up to me, I'd make sure every member got a movie before Batman did, just because we just had Nolan's films come out not too long ago.
    That is true...I liked MOS, but I wish they had made the movie a bit more lighter...hopefully they will do it with the sequel (well, not the movie...but Superman. Let Batman be the dark character..with Superman as the more light and fun type character).

Agreed, but I don't think DC would do that (I don't blame them though...Batman is popular). But, I am glad to know that other films are under development, and hopefully we will get major announcements (Aquaman movie, maybe?) at this year's SDCC.

BANNED

It's not necessarily my personal favorite way to go - I think it can all be tied together without breaking tone - it's just that the tone changes depending on which movie it is.

But to be fair - isn't the last point something that the comics have never had a problem with?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    It's not necessarily my personal favorite way to go - I think it can all be tied together without breaking tone - it's just that the tone changes depending on which movie it is.

But to be fair - isn't the last point something that the comics have never had a problem with?
    Yeah, comics do it all the time, but even in the books, when the threat is big enough, don't you ever ask yourself where the other heroes are? The general thought (if any thought is given to it), is that they are fighting some villain, elsewhere, but when NYC is getting ravaged by multiple villains in Amazing Spider-Man 2, I'd expect someone to help, if there is someone to help.

I think the fact that Marvel's cinematic universe is connected with each other as well as with the Agents of SHIELD tv show is precisely why it does work. We are all comic book fans, so we get the different versions of the various characters. We might understand and even be ok with the Arrow on CW not being the Arrow that could show up in a Justice League movie. The regular consumer might not and could be turned off from the movie or tv show because they can't keep track of which Arrow belongs where. While that might not seem like a big deal to us, it could become a very real issue if enough of those regular people change the channel or see other movies. WB/DC has to attract non-comic book fans if they are going to continue sinking money into these movies and TV shows. There just aren't enough of us to justify making the movies.

I'm not saying the way Marvel is doing it is the only way, but it's working for them. And as bad as WB/DC has been at the box office with anything not named Batman and the recent MOS movie, perhaps copying Marvel's approach isn't such a bad idea. Although, there still has to be a good, compelling story as well.

Ultimate Member

Rather than retread what that other company is doing, I wonder if DC could go in another direction and *not* focus on crossover movies, but instead take advantage of the wide range of tones and themes available in the DCU to tell several different styles of story.

Batman is gritty and a little bit noir, and I love that about him. But his corner of the DCU has always been drawn in a darker palette.

Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash are very much four-color and not even a little bit grim or gritty or dark, and I feel like attempts to 'darken' them up and make them heavy and ponderous robs them of what makes them super and wonderful and flashy and all that.

There are plenty of properties that could fit very nicely into a darker Bat-tone, like the Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey, but, as the saying goes, 'It can't rain all the time,' and it seems to me that making *all* of the DCU fit the weighty and oh-so-terribly-serious tone of Gotham is throwing out the 90% of the DCU that wasn't designed around Gotham, where the only person who ever smiles or laughs is a killer clown. In this case, leaning too heavily on a shared world, to the extent of making it a shared singular monochromatic staggering-under-the-weight-of-it's-own-terrible-seriousness *tone,* perhaps limits the range of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Rather than retread what that other company is doing, I wonder if DC could go in another direction and *not* focus on crossover movies, but instead take advantage of the wide range of tones and themes available in the DCU to tell several different styles of story.

Batman is gritty and a little bit noir, and I love that about him. But his corner of the DCU has always been drawn in a darker palette.

Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash are very much four-color and not even a little bit grim or gritty or dark, and I feel like attempts to 'darken' them up and make them heavy and ponderous robs them of what makes them super and wonderful and flashy and all that.

There are plenty of properties that could fit very nicely into a darker Bat-tone, like the Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey, but, as the saying goes, 'It can't rain all the time,' and it seems to me that making *all* of the DCU fit the weighty and oh-so-terribly-serious tone of Gotham is throwing out the 90% of the DCU that wasn't designed around Gotham, where the only person who ever smiles or laughs is a killer clown. In this case, leaning too heavily on a shared world, to the extent of making it a shared singular monochromatic staggering-under-the-weight-of-it's-own-terrible-seriousness *tone,* perhaps limits the range of possibilities.
    I agree that the entire universe shouldn't be grim and gritty and that characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Flash don't need to have that tone in their own movies. That said, the MOS movie had world ending consequences, it doesn't get much darker than that. And any movie that would require the Justice League to face down a threat would be equally world threatening and thus, should have the appropriate tone attached to it. I think seriousness can be done without going too over the top.

BANNED

Yeah, comics do it all the time, but even in the books, when the threat is big enough, don't you ever ask yourself where the other heroes are? The general thought (if any thought is given to it), is that they are fighting some villain, elsewhere, but when NYC is getting ravaged by multiple villains in Amazing Spider-Man 2, I'd expect someone to help, if there is someone to help.
    Maybe, but I don't think that's an unreasonable stretch of belief.

I got through Captain America 2 without wondering where Thor or Iron Man were.

Ultimate Member

I'd like all of there superhero properties (including Metal Men) to be part of the same universe. However, their more offbeat Vertigo-esque films don't have to be. Fables, 100 Bullets, etc, those can be their own thing. They work better that way. Oh and make a freaking WW movie already WB. Seriously, it's getting pitiful at this point.

Ultimate Member

Maybe, but I don't think that's an unreasonable stretch of belief.

I got through Captain America 2 without wondering where Thor or Iron Man were.
    I didn't have that problem either, nor did most of the GA (judging by the audience reaction/box office returns). I just hand-waive it as "the other heroes have their own crap to deal with" and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by lorec View Post
    I think the fact that Marvel's cinematic universe is connected with each other as well as with the Agents of SHIELD tv show is precisely why it does work. We are all comic book fans, so we get the different versions of the various characters. We might understand and even be ok with the Arrow on CW not being the Arrow that could show up in a Justice League movie. The regular consumer might not and could be turned off from the movie or tv show because they can't keep track of which Arrow belongs where. While that might not seem like a big deal to us, it could become a very real issue if enough of those regular people change the channel or see other movies. WB/DC has to attract non-comic book fans if they are going to continue sinking money into these movies and TV shows. There just aren't enough of us to justify making the movies.

I'm not saying the way Marvel is doing it is the only way, but it's working for them. And as bad as WB/DC has been at the box office with anything not named Batman and the recent MOS movie, perhaps copying Marvel's approach isn't such a bad idea. Although, there still has to be a good, compelling story as well.
    I don't think confusion would be much of a problem...Take Smallville for instance.....or maybe Gotham. If it gets picked out (and becomes a success), it might run at the same time when BvS comes out.

At the same time, we have to remember that GA doesn't know all these characters - Shazam for instance...they may not know that Shazam works along with JL.

The issue only arises when DC/WB includes these characters in JL....and allows different portrayals in other media.

If a different version of Green Arrow shows up in JL (or subsequent movies), audience might get confused...but, as long as they handle it well, it would work.

I don't think audience wonders about that (I mean, this specific situation) because they may not know that Avengers and Spider-man operate in the same universe.

But, when they do make that distinction...like in Marvel solo movies, people might wonder.