Page 51 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455611011515511051 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    First couple? Are you referring to that super old VHS Captain America movie?

Although I thought Captain America: The First Avenger was bad (granted it was still better than I thought it would be after seeing the trailer) the movie still turned a good profit and was a success. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a good film and turned a big profit and was a hit. Not to mention a very good film imo.
    I liked the last two Cap movies, personally.

The 2011 Green Lantern movie bombed. We can all nit pick why, but these things happen in the movie industry.
    No argument there from me.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to bring Ryan Reynolds back. I've heard no word about GL at all from any of my sources or really any news websites. GL in the movies is just fan conjecture at this point. If they do use GL odds are its Hal Jordan based on everything we've seen. I can tell you that GL will not be in Batman vs Superman though.
    Agree with all of this, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    There is a rumor from a reputable source that Green Lantern will team with The Flash in a film in 2017. And the character has been teased by several actors, from The Rock, to Chadwick Boseman, to Idris Elba (sorta').
    I will never, ever see the Rock as John Stewart. Boseman and Elba, yes, but the Rock? Ugh!

There is a rumor from a reputable source that Green Lantern will team with The Flash in a film in 2017. And the character has been teased by several actors, from The Rock, to Chadwick Boseman, to Idris Elba (sorta').

I like the idea of of a GL/Flash team up movie, I also like the idea of John Stewart being the Green Lantern but I'd honestly want the team up to be Barry/Hal rather than Barry/John or any other combination.
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

yeah I posted a thread about it 2 weeks ago.

http://community.comicbookresources....Date-CONFIRMED!

I need some more official confirmation. Although Nikki Finke is about as reelable as a rumor gets its still a rumor. And considering there has been no officially announcement, script director or casting its still conjecture at this point.

Idris Elba wants to play a leading superhero, so he'd be open I'm sure. But WB has not even hinted at anything with Idris his tweet was just reposting a photoshoped image of his face over Ryan Reynolds GL body. So I think you can pretty much dismiss Idris as nothing.

Boseman has been linked more closely to Black Panther in rumor than Green Lantern and there's been nothing to really link him outside fan casts.

The Rock is the only name you mentioned where you can make a true connection to Green Lantern specifically John Stewart if you try to read between the tea leaves of his instagram post. We know The Rock has met with WB, he's got a good working relationship with the studio. What we know is he wants to play a character thats never been portrayed before and is in the same league with Superman in terms of power. I don't think you can conclusively say its John Stewart or that the Rock ultimately ends up in this new DC film universe, but so far thats the most tangible connection you can make to GL. It's far from conclusive imo. there's very little if anything to go on and absolutely nothing official from WB to go on.

As for Boseman and Idris outside of being good actors their connection is solely based on fan casts and expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jphu8414 View Post
    I like the idea of of a GL/Flash team up movie, I also like the idea of John Stewart being the Green Lantern but I'd honestly want the team up to be Barry/Hal rather than Barry/John or any other combination.

I think it depends on the actors moreso than the characters. Movies are never exact interpretations of the comic counterparts. I may be in the minority on this but I feel GL should be an open casting for anyone, regardless of Race gender or anything else. Thats the one role where you can really plug anyone in. We've had so many Green Lanterns and the character isn't contingent on race, ethnicity, gender etc.

From a studio perspective if they go the GL route might not be a bad idea to mix it up. But who knows you all know where I stand on GL
    Last edited by Jabare; 06-25-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    The J-man

The Rock debunked on Twitter that he was playing any version of Green Lantern. He'll probably be in the Shazam movie, hopefully Black Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    The Rock debunked on Twitter that he was playing any version of Green Lantern. He'll probably be in the Shazam movie, hopefully Black Adam.
    Black Adam I can see him as, but never John Stewart.

When was the last time you heard "No, I'd never play that character, I think he's pretty **** to be honest" from any major actor? They tend to tease things to get attention.

How many thousands of actresses have said they were interested in Wonder Woman? Yet Gal Gadot landed the role with everyone caught off guard. Teases from actors about playing certain characters are utterly meaningless and rarely result in actual casting.
    The important thing in the example you bring up is that someone landed the role of Wonder Woman. Actresses were interested because it was something WB was looking for. Here, we have another situation where numerous actors have referenced the same character! And a Denzel rumor got out there during all of this somehow. All that could be telling.

That would be great, The Rock would be a great Black Adam in my opinion. I also think it would be cool if he was to Lobo but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Having a more well known actor in the Shazam movie might bring it to the general public's attention.
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

The important thing in the example you bring up is that someone landed the role of Wonder Woman. Actresses were interested because it was something WB was looking for. Here, we have another situation where numerous actors have referenced the same character!
    Actors saying "I want to be x character" doesn't mean that any studio exec will actually change their mind and suddenly include that character in their movies. They know it's meaningless chatter too. If WB released a statement to all actors saying that they wanted certain characters then every rumour site would have published the story by now. The actors are just saying they want to play JS are doing it just because he's one of the few black characters that can be in the Justice League.

And who would change all the scripts and plans for their movies just because a D list actor like Chadwick Boseman wanted the role? The Rock has made clear he's not playing the character, and Elba is probably stuck at Marvel for the time being.

And a Denzel rumor got out there during all of this somehow. All that could be telling.
    The Denzel rumour was called complete BS by every credible rumour source out there. Denzel is way too well known and expensive to play the 4 most important JL member and he's also way too old. Someone just made that up to get clicks, just like Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor.

The Denzel rumour was called complete BS by every credible rumour source out there. Denzel is way too well known and expensive to play the 4 most important JL member and he's also way too old.
    Guess Sidney Poitier was too busy.

It all depends on the character, but most people don't care.

The MCU turned Heimdall and Nick Fury black, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did the same with Electro, and Michael B. Jordan is playing the Human Torch. It's pretty common practice at this point.
    I'm sure most people in the general audience than comic fans doesn't care, since they don't know much about some of those characters. We all have different views of things, which is fine. Heimdall, Electro and Nick Fury aren't as known as other major characters. There was already a complaint about an African American actor wanted to play Peter Parker before the Spider-Man reboot, there's also a controversy about Michael B. Jordan playing the Human Torch (also the siblings arguments too). I just find it strange that a huge Hal Jordan fan don't mind if his race is changed.

The important thing in the example you bring up is that someone landed the role of Wonder Woman. Actresses were interested because it was something WB was looking for. Here, we have another situation where numerous actors have referenced the same character! And a Denzel rumor got out there during all of this somehow. All that could be telling.
    After the 2011 film failure, I always thought Hal was going to be in the film regardless, but after hearing other numerous John Stewart rumors over Google, I honestly don't know which GL it's going to be. So I cannot say at the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Nobody said you can't talk about GL-rated themes. I had no problem when you said having Hal in the next movies wouldn't make you happy. I just get crazy in regard to this mantra about Hal Jordan as a failed movie concept. Again, there are numerous "failed concepts" that didn't fail at all when done right. This isn't debatable, either. BTW, I would have no problem with John Stewart as GL in any other movie, either. I actually like him and don't have the need to run him down left and right.
    Yeah exactly. It's more that people want to make an argument of why their character should get the spot and they make blanket statements without context. Like Hal Jordan is a failed concept. There are several things wrong with that. The first being that almost no critics said the character was the reason the film fell apart (nearly every critic blamed the plot and pacing). The second being that the concept of bomb is very skewed. Green Lantern made a ton of money, and had it's budget been more compareable to the other 3 superhero movies that came out that summer it wouldn't have even been an issue, it was more of a case of an out of control budget than anything else. Third they didn't even do the character right in the film so I don't know how you can blame the character.

And then there are outlier things like other superheroes having poorly received films (Spider-Man 3 and Batman and Robin both getting far worse receptions critically) and still rebounding. It just seems like a lot of people put blinders up and would rather remove context to prove a point. And I'm saying it seems like that, when it really is like that because there are people in this thread who have said before "I don't care about the reasons".

I don't have much of a problem with Stewart. But he is to me a very uninteresting Green Lantern. And of the main four he has the least ties too the mythos (especially the popular parts of the mythos) than Hal and Kyle. And he has less personality than Guy. I would be down for a film based around Mosaic. But as a Green Lantern fan I like stories like Emerald Dawn, First Flight, SCW, Blackest Night, the original silver age stories. And that's only possible if Hal exists. Which is why I prefer they just build the mythos from the natural starting point and introduce characters and then have ever option available to them. Rather than starting with John or Kyle and having a good chunk (and a popular chunk) lost.

Also like I said if it's a race thing, I don't really have a problem with a black or asian Hal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    After the 2011 film failure, I always thought Hal was going to be in the film regardless, but after hearing other numerous John Stewart rumors over Google, I honestly don't know which GL it's going to be. So I cannot say at the moment.
    If the rumored Flash/Green Lantern team up is true... I think it is rather clear which GL they are using.

It's really encouraging to hear that the makers of The Lego Movie had to campaign to use Hal Jordan because WB didn't want them to. That's the best news I've heard in a while
    I agree. It shows that there are movie makers who WANT to use Hal Jordan in movies and are willing to fight to get him in, and it's the geniuses behind the Lego Movie no less.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 06-25-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    If the rumored Flash/Green Lantern team up is true... I think it is rather clear which GL they are using.
    Movies never been 100% accurate to the comics to be honest.