Page 7 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117571075071007 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Your inappropriate (and unwanted) sarcasm isnt helping. I have been a comics fan for 20 years, I know this world. Which is exactly why I am so sick of the endless Marvel vs DC comparisons. Do me a favor and please keep your sarcasm to yourself if you have nothing productive to say. I am not here to be belittled.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Wilson View Post
    Your inappropriate (and unwanted) sarcasm isnt helping. I have been a comics fan for 20 years, I know this world. Which is exactly why I am so sick of the endless Marvel vs DC comparisons. Do me a favor and please keep your sarcasm to yourself if you have nothing productive to say. I am not here to be belittled.
    To be fair, I don't think he was being sarcastic. He certainly wasn't belittling you. Calm down, man.

Incredible Member

I think we've already heard in the last year of over 9 projects being developed:

(All of these are also being produced by Goyer if I'm not mistaken)

1. Fables - produced by David Heyman (the producer of the Harry Potter series), and to be directed by Nikolaj Arcel

2. Sandman - Produced by and starring Joseph Gordon Levitt

3. FBP (Federal Bureau of Physics) - script currently being written by Justin Marks

4. Sleeper - produced by Affleck/Damon

5. The Metal Men

6. 100 Bullets - was originally announced as being a TV show, but I guess plans changed

7. SHAZAM - perhaps the 2014 Dwayne Johnson DC project.

8. Y: The Last Man - to be directed by Dan Trachtenberg. (However, the project might be dead since shooting has to start in 2014 for them to keep the rights, yet the director has signed on to shoot a different film in the fall. Or perhaps they're just switching directors. Who knows)

9. Heaven Sent / JLDark - produced by Guillermo del Toro

Deathstroke, Team 7, Suicide Squad, Booster Gold could also be part of the 9.

Keep in mind however that 'development' =/= production and it doesn't mean that these movies will be made anytime soon, or at all.

I'm guessing that JLA-related solo films ( Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, etc) probably won't be made until 'after' they appear in Justice League so that they can get a boost at the box-office (ala Iron Man 3). Meanwhile these other Vertigo properties don't have that luxury, thus why they're being developed now. Makes sense.

Great for Vertigo fans, but not the best for DC Universe fans (for the moment at least. Higher chances of box office success for solo films means a higher chance for sequels. AKA not the GL2011 scenario.). Good for WB overall.

---------------------

In the mean-time we'll also have DC tv shows, which will probably not be in the same continuity as the movies. Good. I'd want the Justice League / Flash movie to get the best fit for Barry Allen that it can (so it has the best shot of being a successful franchise), not just the best guy that the CW could afford to bring to a CW casting call (and I say this as a Gustin fan). If Gustin wins the audition for the film, then great, but I'd want them to make sure that he's the best for the role when going up against a larger pool of talent.

(Could you imagine if Iron Man started as a CW show, and they brought over the same actor and rejected RDJ for the movies all for the sake of giving the TV show a rating's bump by being connected to the movies? That's called flushing potential down the drain, and having a successful movie franchise is a bigger deal than having a TV show become slightly more successful.)

If they realllly want to connect it, they can do it via multi-verse. Perhaps Gustin-Flash accidently starts jumping universes, and before jumping to Earth 2 (for an Hourman crossover), perhaps he briefly jumps into a universe where the movie-Flash is in the papers.

A lot can also change in the next few years. For all we know the Flash series doesn't get picked up, or it gets cancelled after 2 seasons along with Arrow, Gotham, and Constantine. Who knows.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 05-07-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I think we've already heard in the last year of over 9 projects being developed:

(All of these are also being produced by Goyer if I'm not mistaken)

1. Fables - produced by David Heyman (the producer of the Harry Potter series), and to be directed by Nikolaj Arcel

2. Sandman - Produced by and starring Joseph Gordon Levitt

3. FBP (Federal Bureau of Physics) - script currently being written by Justin Marks

4. Sleeper - produced by Affleck/Damon

5. The Metal Men

6. 100 Bullets - was originally announced as being a TV show, but I guess plans changed

7. SHAZAM - perhaps the 2014 Dwayne Johnson DC project.

8. Y: The Last Man - to be directed by Dan Trachtenberg. (However, the project might be dead since shooting has to start in 2014 for them to keep the rights, yet the director has signed on to shoot a different film in the fall. Or perhaps they're just switching directors. Who knows)

9. Heaven Sent / JLDark - produced by Guillermo del Toro

Deathstroke, Team 7, Suicide Squad, Booster Gold could also be part of the 9.

Keep in mind however that 'development' =/= production and it doesn't mean that these movies will be made anytime soon, or at all.

I'm guessing that JLA-related solo films ( Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, etc) probably won't be made until 'after' they appear in Justice League so that they can get a boost at the box-office (ala Iron Man 3). Meanwhile these other Vertigo properties don't have that luxury, thus why they're being developed now. Makes sense.

Great for Vertigo fans, but not the best for DC Universe fans (for the moment at least. Higher chances of box office success for solo films means a higher chance for sequels. AKA not the GL2011 scenario.). Good for WB overall.

---------------------

In the mean-time we'll also have DC tv shows, which will probably not be in the same continuity as the movies. Good. I'd want the Justice League / Flash movie to get the best fit for Barry Allen that it can (so it has the best shot of being a successful franchise), not just the best guy that the CW could afford to bring to a CW casting call (and I say this as a Gustin fan). If Gustin wins the audition for the film, then great, but I'd want them to make sure that he's the best for the role when going up against a larger pool of talent.

(Could you imagine if Iron Man started as a CW show, and they brought over the same actor and rejected RDJ for the movies all for the sake of giving the TV show a rating's bump by being connected to the movies? That's called flushing potential down the drain, and having a successful movie franchise is a bigger deal than having a TV show become slightly more successful.)

If they realllly want to connect it, they can do it via multi-verse. Perhaps Gustin-Flash accidently starts jumping universes, and before jumping to Earth 2 (for an Hourman crossover), perhaps he briefly jumps into a universe where the movie-Flash is in the papers.

A lot can also change in the next few years. For all we know the Flash series doesn't get picked up, or it gets cancelled after 2 seasons along with Arrow, Gotham, and Constantine. Who knows.
    That is quite true. I hope it's not all Goyer. He is a great writer, but tends to make a lot of mistakes, especially when working alone.

Plus, I don't think they are going to let Goyer do all the movies..too much work (especially if they want to release it in the next few years).

I would love for them to do a SS movie (plus, a Deathstroke one). There is a good chance that it's going to happen, since DC has been pushing those two in other forms of media.

-------------------------

Agreed. If he fits the bill, great. If not, use someone else. They don't need to connect everything (I don't think they will...since Goyer did say that there is no plan to....plus DC Entertainment head mentioned that they were encouraging different takes on each characters, so the chances are low).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I agree with your point about being tired of the Marvel vs DC comparisons. Each company should concentrate on making their own great movies and not worry so much about what the other one is doing. I especially tire of the Marvel and DC fanboys who just dismiss everything by the other company out of hand just because it was made by the other company. It is almost like a political campaign.

However, I don't think that guy was belittling you. He was merely pointing out that this is the nature of comic book culture (as stupid as it is).

BANNED

I don't know about other types of comparisons, but I do know that I love what Marvel has done in terms of creating solo films and then joining the characters together for a joint film. It's fairly unprecedented. So regardless of who did it first, I want to see the same thing with DC, and I think the general audience has proven they are open to it.

To put it another way, I don't necessarily think DC should do something different just to be different - if something has been proven to work, and it's entertaining, jump on it.

In a world with "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" there's no reason to have any shame about such things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless Henchman View Post
    I agree with your point about being tired of the Marvel vs DC comparisons. Each company should concentrate on making their own great movies and not worry so much about what the other one is doing. I especially tire of the Marvel and DC fanboys who just dismiss everything by the other company out of hand just because it was made by the other company. It is almost like a political campaign.
    Yep thats pretty much it. In my opinion each company/studio should just focus on their own movies and universe and tell the best story possible. If things in both universes are similar here and there - so be it. I just dont want them to look to each other all the time and do or dont do certain things just because Marvel has or hasnt done them yet. You cant create great movies by always worrying about what others are doing.

In the mean-time we'll also have DC tv shows, which will probably not be in the same continuity as the movies.
    Make that definitely. Warner executive Nelson already pretty much confirmed in a recent announcement that the TV and movie universes will exist seperately (Even most of the TV universes such as Gotham and Arrow will be different universes), which is a good decision. Cramming movies and shows together now for the sake of being in the same universe would not work because the majority of the shows and movies were not conceived as being part of the same universe. It works with Agents of SHIELD and the MCU because AoS was conceived from the start as part of that universe but shows like Arrow, Gotham or Flash arent. There would be too much which just wouldnt fit together between those shows and movies like Man of Steel and its follow ups. Cramming all of that into the same universe now would be a pretty big mess I think.

Particularly Arrow seems to create not just a Green Arrow universe but a whole DC Universe now (similar to what Smallville did and continues to do in comic book form), which shouldnt be limited by the movies in any way and vice versa. Though I could see Gotham being a prequel for the new Affleck-Batman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Agreed. Movies and television are different mediums and the universe within each would be very hard to mesh together favorably.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Cramming movies and shows together now for the sake of being in the same universe would not work because the majority of the shows and movies were not conceived as being part of the same universe.
    Though I could see Gotham being a prequel for the new Affleck-Batman.
    Soooo...which is it? These two statements seem to contradict one another.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Agreed. Movies and television are different mediums and the universe within each would be very hard to mesh together favorably.
    I'm not sure why this is so hard to do, given that Agents of SHIELD is doing it now, and the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises have managed it pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Yeah,

That seems like Mars to me
    I would squeal with delight if John Jones showed up!!! Maybe I will scour the MoS credits to see if any names pop up...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2866876/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t67
    Last edited by krazijoe; 05-07-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post

I'm not sure why this is so hard to do, given that Agents of SHIELD is doing it now, and the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises have managed it pretty well.
    It's restrictive. Sure, you could do it but I'd rather just see different universes. Think about Arrow. If it was part of the DCCU, there wouldn't be Ra's Al Ghul or Deathstroke

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    It's restrictive. Sure, you could do it but I'd rather just see different universes. Think about Arrow. If it was part of the DCCU, there wouldn't be Ra's Al Ghul or Deathstroke
    Why not? This is assuming we're not including the Nolan movies, but rather the upcoming movies. We probably won't see Ra's - as long as nothing on Arrow happens that would prevent them from having Batman battle Ra's directly in an upcoming movie (I assume that's what you're referring to) then you're good. Why can't "Arrow" just own Deathstroke?

You DO have to have someone - like a Geoff Johns - who says who gets to use what. But once that's in place, there are plenty of different sandboxes for people to play in and then bring them together when you want to. It works in the comics themselves just fine.

BANNED

the same rule doesnt apply to every show. It works with Agents of SHIELD as well as Star Wars and Star Trek for one simple reason - these shows were all created from the get go to be part of the movie universes. They were not retroactively crammed into the movie universes just because it became suddenly cool to have shared universes between shows and movies.

Arrow and Flash for example are a whole different thing. When that universe was created it was never intended to be the same universe as the (upcoming) movies. There is really no need or reason for the Arrowverse to be combined with the films other than to jump on the "Its all connected" bandwagon. And how would you even combine these two? Obviously Man of Steel would have to take place many years after Arrow since I dont think Oliver and co. have witnessed an invasion of flying superaliens yet. So that would make Arrow what, a prequel to the movieverse? It would force the movie producers to hire the same actors, use the same costumes etc. Its just a big mess.

Again with Gotham its very different because that show and its universe has not started yet. And it IS a prequel to Batman, taking place roughly 20 years before Bruce becomes Batman so at least 25-30 years before the movies take place. That could work without becoming a continuity mess. With Arrow/Flash ? Not so much.

BANNED

the same rule doesnt apply to every show. It works with Agents of SHIELD as well as Star Wars and Star Trek for one simple reason - these shows were all created from the get go to be part of the movie universes. They were not retroactively crammed into the movie universes just because it became suddenly cool to have shared universes between shows and movies.

Arrow and Flash for example are a whole different thing. When that universe was created it was never intended to be the same universe as the (upcoming) movies. There is really no need or reason for the Arrowverse to be combined with the films other than to jump on the "Its all connected" bandwagon. And how would you even combine these two? Obviously Man of Steel would have to take place many years after Arrow since I dont think Oliver and co. have witnessed an invasion of flying superaliens yet. So that would make Arrow what, a prequel to the movieverse? It would force the movie producers to hire the same actors, use the same costumes etc. Its just a big mess.

Again with Gotham its very different because that show and its universe has not started yet. And it IS a prequel to Batman, taking place roughly 20 years before Bruce becomes Batman so at least 25-30 years before the movies take place. That could work without becoming a continuity mess. With Arrow/Flash ? Not so much.
    Actually, "Arrow" says very little one way or the other about places other than "Starling City" where it takes place, other than sometimes mentioning Central City lately as it prepares for "The Flash". So I have no trouble believing that there could be some big to-do in some faraway part of the country that the characters didn't discuss on camera.

The fact that "Arrow" is quite definitely going to be taking place in the same world as "Flash" is very much a first step towards them both existing with "Man of Steel" - it proves that "Arrow" does exist in a world where people can get super-powers.

There's nothing that has happened on "Arrow" that contradicts "Man of Steel" or vice-versa. All they would need to do now is put someone in place to make sure it doesn't happen moving forward.

It would require some effort, but I think saying it would be "too hard" when there are already other people doing things that are 80-90% of the work is an untrue statement.

Now, people can disagree about whether they SHOULD, or whether they WOULD, but I don't think it's accurate to say they COULDN'T.

BANNED

Actually, "Arrow" says very little one way or the other about places other than "Starling City" where it takes place, other than sometimes mentioning Central City lately as it prepares for "The Flash". So I have no trouble believing that there could be some big to-do in some faraway part of the country that the characters didn't discuss on camera.

The fact that "Arrow" is quite definitely going to be taking place in the same world as "Flash" is very much a first step towards them both existing with "Man of Steel" - it proves that "Arrow" does exist in a world where people can get super-powers.

There's nothing that has happened on "Arrow" that contradicts "Man of Steel" or vice-versa. All they would need to do now is put someone in place to make sure it doesn't happen moving forward.

It would require some effort, but I think saying it would be "too hard" when there are already other people doing things that are 80-90% of the work is an untrue statement.

Now, people can disagree about whether they SHOULD, or whether they WOULD, but I don't think it's accurate to say they COULDN'T.
    Why are you SO hellbent on squeezing them into the same universe, no matter what? Why cant Arrow simply be allowed to exist in its own version of the DCU ? The DCU is a Multiverse, so why cant Arrow simply be an alternate DCU earth, different from the movies much like Smallville is ?

Are you really willing to swallow every convoluted excuse as to why and how these universes would be the same? Are you really trying to tell me that while Oliver and co. fight in Starling City, there has been an ALIEN INVASION that nearly wiped out all of Metropolis and Oliver and his friends simply "dont talk about it" onscreen? That would be beyond ridiculous. Diggle even recently joked about the concept of aliens because the mere notion of super-powered people was so "out there" for him. It would make absolutely ZERO sense to have Arrow and Man of Steel take place in the same universe, yet alone at the same time.

Also once again, the executives at Warner have already confirmed that the movie and TV versions will be seperate universes so I dont know why we are even still having this ridiculous conversation.