Page 817 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 31771776780781381481581681781881982082182786791713171817 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,255 of 28116
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Shocker. You went into a movie expecting (wanting?) to hate it, and ended up hating it. "Other breaking news: water, wet."

Edit: starting reading your tweets. 2nd tweet & it's "F___ Zach Snyder" for doing what every Batman movie with a new actor in the role does? Stopped right there. I suppose 11 years agoit was "F__ Chris Nolan"?
    No I like Chris Nolan. Youve got to admit that seeing the Wayne's get shot in live action twice in 11 years is a little repetitive. Especially since we've seen it so many times before. Do they show it in that Gotham show too? That would make it 3 times.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    No I like Chris Nolan. Youve got to admit that seeing the Wayne's get shot in live action twice in 11 years is a little repetitive. Especially since we've seen it so many times before. Do they show it in that Gotham show too? That would make it 3 times.
    The 1960s Adam West BATMAN movie is probably the only version that didn't deal with the death of the Waynes. Watching that movie and its parent TV series as a kid, I often did wonder why Bruce Wayne decided to put on a bat costume to fight crime in Gotham City.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The 1960s Adam West BATMAN movie is probably the only version that didn't deal with the death of the Waynes. Watching that movie and its parent TV series as a kid, I often did wonder why Bruce Wayne decided to put on a bat costume to fight crime in Gotham City.

Well, everyone and their mother knows the Batman origin by now. Everyone knows Uncle Ben gets shot and Krypton is destroyed. They don't have to show those things in every single adaptation, we'll never forget.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Unlike Nolan, however, Snyder's re-telling of the Wayne murder actually contained a plot point that had relevance later on.

Nolan just retold the murder because, well, it was a new Batman story and it's expected.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Unlike Nolan, however, Snyder's re-telling of the Wayne murder actually contained a plot point that had relevance later on.

Nolan just retold the murder because, well, it was a new Batman story and it's expected.
    Are you talking about the Martha plot point? That was the stupidest thing ever. That didn't justify it. Batman and Superman didn't become allies over ideological similarities or admiration for the other's heroism, it was because they both love their mothers

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Are you talking about the Martha plot point? That was the stupidest thing ever. That didn't justify it. Batman and Superman didn't become allies over ideological similarities or admiration for the other's heroism, it was because they both love their mothers
    I don't see what's invalid or inappropriate about that. Sharing certain ideological beliefs is all well and good, but giving them this deeper personal connection is something that at least on (metaphorical, as we live in a digital era) celluloid, hasn't really been explored until now. I was quite surprised by how we had all subconsciously known for all these years that Clark Kent's and Bruce Wayne's mothers were named "Martha," but had never made that connection. Ironically, the two heroes had never seemed genuinely closer to each other in any medium than they did in that moment when they backed away from trying to kill each other.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't see what's invalid or inappropriate about that. Sharing certain ideological beliefs is all well and good, but giving them this deeper personal connection is something that at least on (metaphorical, as we live in a digital era) celluloid, hasn't really been explored until now. I was quite surprised by how we had all subconsciously known for all these years that Clark Kent's and Bruce Wayne's mothers were named "Martha," but had never made that connection. Ironically, the two heroes had never seemed genuinely closer to each other in any medium than they did in that moment when they backed away from trying to kill each other.

I cracked up. The way Lois said "It's his mothers name" and Batman was like "Whoah!" it was just one of the dumbest things I've seen on film in a while. An attempt to give the two heroes a deep emotional connection fell flat on its ass, like every single moment in the film. And the whole fight could have been avoided if Supes just said "Lex is trying to kill my mother" a single time. Garbage movie.

Here is what Zac Efron Could Look Like As Batman's Red Hood - http://comicbook.com/2016/09/10/here...mans-red-hood/
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    By the looks of it WW might be the first great film of the DCEU before this course correction BS. Don't get me wrong it all sounds great.... On paper! Pulling it off is a different story and I don't trust WB. If they pull it off fantastic! more power to them.
    Fixed that for you. While I don't think either BvS or Suicide Squad was as bad as the negative attention would imply, they still weren't good. Both were still just very meh. They weren't what they could have been and nowhere near the potential of what a movie featuring the classic DC characters can be. I sincerely hope Wonder Woman is part of this course correction. The fact that the script was written by Geoff Johns and Patty Jenkins gives me hope.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Well, after 6 months, I finally saw Batman v Superman! Ultimate Cut. Short review-It was just as horrible as I thought it would be. For the long review, I live-tweeted the whole film. Here's the link to the tweet-chain. Warning for very VERY strong language cause I swear on Twitter and when I'm angry. https://twitter.com/atlanta962/statu...84137708900352

Sorry to brag but my movie predictions are right 90% of the time. I knew it would make me seethe with rage, and it did. I still think the DC films will improve though because in an optimistic fanboy deep down.
    Yeah, cause all that crap you've been talking for months now, you clearly went in with no biases, right?
    Sell it somewhere else, friend.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Yeah, cause all that crap you've been talking for months now, you clearly went in with no biases, right?
    Sell it somewhere else, friend.
    If you read my tweets I give dozens of good reasons for disliking the film, and even give it credit a few times. I think it has the greatest Batman fight scene ever put to film. I thought the Senate bombing scene was well handled. Just because I was expecting to hate it doesn't mean I'm biased beyond reason.

Hell I even think it had a decent screenplay! Chris Terrio is a professional writer and probably drastically improved on Goyers original draft. The problems were the story and the direction.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 09-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.

I cracked up. The way Lois said "It's his mothers name" and Batman was like "Whoah!" it was just one of the dumbest things I've seen on film in a while. An attempt to give the two heroes a deep emotional connection fell flat on its ass, like every single moment in the film. And the whole fight could have been avoided if Supes just said "Lex is trying to kill my mother" a single time. Garbage movie.
    The movie made it clear that Batman's PTSD is linked particularly to his mother's death. It haunts his nightmares. Given all that he's going through, she just happens to be the inexplicable trigger in that moment.
    Clark's mother also happens to be his lighthouse in the storm, a chance to actively save a mother named Martha now when he could only stand by helplessly before.

If you read my tweets I give dozens of good reasons for disliking the film, and even give it credit a few times. I think it has the greatest Batman fight scene ever put to film. I thought the Senate bombing scene was well handled. Just because I was expecting to hate it doesn't mean I'm biased beyond reason.

Hell I even think it had a decent screenplay! Chris Terrio is a professional writer and probably drastically improved on Goyers original draft. The problems were the story and the direction.
    You went into the movie expecting to hate it and you did.
    Congrats. Confirmation bias at work.
    Don't try to sell it as anything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    You went into the movie expecting to hate it and you did.
    Congrats. Confirmation bias at work.
    Don't try to sell it as anything else.
    There's a movie called Stop or my Mom will Shoot. It looks terrible. If I watched it, and ended up hating it, is that confirmation bias?

It wasn't about a deep emotional connection. It was about Bruce finally being able to see himself clearly. He saw himself in Clark, who he had previously only viewed as an alien other or remote god who didn't know what it felt like to be human with something to lose, and he saw himself as the villain of his own childhood trauma by seeing Lois and Clark in Martha and Thomas' position and him in their murderer's position. By stopping, Batman saves himself from his own ultimate corruption, saves his Martha by symbolically not becoming that monster, and saves another Martha for her son (Clark, who is like Bruce was a child). It brings Bruce's past into his present, so that he can be redeemed and reborn, as it were. Snyder said he was inspired by this quote, which was alluded to in the film:

The Hero Path

We have not even to risk the adventure alone
    for the heroes of all time have gone before us.
    The labyrinth is thoroughly known ...
    we have only to follow the thread of the hero path.
    And where we had thought to find an abomination
    we shall find a God.

And where we had thought to slay another
    we shall slay ourselves.

Where we had thought to travel outwards
    we shall come to the center of our own existence.
    And where we had thought to be alone
    we shall be with all the world.”

Joseph Campbell

Superman does mention Lex's actions to Batman, too, if you'll recall:

Superman: Bruce. Please. I was wrong. You have to listen to me. Lex wants us...You don't understand. There's no time!
    Batman: I understand.
    Superman: Stay down! If I wanted it, you'd be dead already!
    Batman: Breathe in. That's fear. You're not brave. Men are brave. I bet your parents taught you, that you mean something. That you're here for a reason. My parents taught me a different lesson, dying in the gutter for no reason at all. They taught me the world only makes sense, if you force it to. You were never a god. You were never even a man.
    You're letting him...kill Martha...

Even earlier, he informs Lois (and the audience) what his goal was when confronting Batman. He says, "Lois. I have to go to Gotham to convince him to help me." The only reason Superman never gets the whole message out is because Batman keeps attacking him mid-sentence, causing him to lose his breath, which is what the ellipses represent.

Maybe instead of spending time bashing the movie unfairly, you should rewatch the movie. You might appreciate it more than you do at present.
    Last edited by misslane; 09-10-2016 at 01:57 PM.