Page 873 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 37377382386386987087187287387487587687788392397313731873 ... LastLast
Results 13,081 to 13,095 of 28116

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    To be honest, John Stewart was ridiculously interesting as a character in the Eighties and Nineties, when he was John Stewart the architect. Green Lantern: Mosaic, as an example, still brings tears to my eyes every time I re-read it and I realize how absolutely unique and genuinely anti-establishment John's voice was in the superhero landscape of the time thanks to Gerard Jones at writing duties. Even his status as "the Black Green Lantern" was masterfully explored, with his alienation from humanity and its narrow forma mentis treated as an extension of his pre-existing alienation from the rest of the Black community, followed by a re-evaluation of the multiple facets of the condition of being an American citizen of African descent and how John could still see himself in each one of them.

But then came the Justice League cartoon and its John Stewart the marine and all of that complexity was lost thanks to a slew of writers who took the easier way to write the character. Because a superhero who can scrutinise the faults of Le Corbusier's ideal city when applied to the real world is apparently less interesting than a G.I. Joe who can shoot laser beams.
    I love this post!

This is exactly how I feel about John Stewart. I'm in the minority but I really think the Justice League cartoon hurt the character in a lot of ways. I loved the John Stewart of the 80s and 90s. He had a brash and witty personality that was so unique. Then the animated series turned him into this stoic marine prototype. He lost all sense of his rebellious nature and became a boring stiff and a "good soldier". I find that version of John Stewart incredibly boring. Sadly that's the version most of his fans fight for. John Stewart in Mosaic was such a brilliant character and light years better than the JLU version. Sadly I don't think we'll see that version of John if he ever appears in the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's Cruz, if only to reduce the sausage-quotient down from six dudes and one chick (who comes from a magic feminist paradise where women are allowed to be warriors and heroes *because there are no men*) to a *slightly* less lopsided five dudes and two chicks...
    They were heroes and warriors before they went to the island.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I love this post!

This is exactly how I feel about John Stewart. I'm in the minority but I really think the Justice League cartoon hurt the character in a lot of ways. I loved the John Stewart of the 80s and 90s. He had a brash and witty personality that was so unique. Then the animated series turned him into this stoic marine prototype. He lost all sense of his rebellious nature and became a boring stiff and a "good soldier". I find that version of John Stewart incredibly boring. Sadly that's the version most of his fans fight for. John Stewart in Mosaic was such a brilliant character and light years better than the JLU version. Sadly I don't think we'll see that version of John if he ever appears in the DCEU.
    He was still an architect. I think that JS was fine in the context of the TV Show. However, it doesn't work in the comics I agree. Of course backstory isn't his main problem to my mind in the comics. Its never getting a chance to shine doing super heroics instead he gets saddled with the speeches and Xianshi Baggage.

Cruz does help the demos the most checking two boxes. However, she has zero GA name recognition.
    Hal is another white dude on a team with 4.
    John...never going to happen with Geoff in power. I certainly prefer him over the dickless tech support though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Who the frick wants boring John "Honey I Boomed the Xaanshi" Stewart?

Stewart what's interesting about you?

Stewart: uh......I'm black?
    People who grew up watching JL cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Cruz does help the demos the most checking two boxes. However, she has zero GA name recognition.
    So? Neither did the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. Any GL in Justice League is going to be a supporting character in a movie starring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, who are the most recognised superheroes out there.

People overrate how much the general audience knows Green Lantern, and especially how much they actually care about Green Lantern. Not everyone knows about the character and almost no one outside comic fans cares about the franchise. You can do pretty much anything with the character and the audience would be fine with it. That's why they almost made a Jack Black comedy out of it.

If you're talking about the Corps movie, I doubt they'll make it, but if they do they can just have other Earth Lanterns if Cruz flops in JL. (this is all theoretical ofc)

BANNED

Well there is a difference. I am not talking about Cruz having no name recognition in that sense. Its problem more in they are competing versions floating around and quite a few of them look visibly different. Much more so then the difference between Barry and Wally. That doesn't apply to GOTG, DOC Strange or Ant-man who were total zeroes.

But as I said, very few people outside comic book fans actually care about Green Lantern and would be fine with something different in a Justice League movie (and it doesn't matter which version is used, they'll be second fiddle to the Trinity so it doesn't matter that much).

If you want to keep in line with what you've been promoting for the last couple years, then yeah go with Hal or John.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Arrow, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones all have fresh ratings on RT and they are much darker and cynical than MOS, BvS and SS.

Update info by the way.

List of television series based on DC and Marvel
    Recent shows

In order
    DC FIRST
    DC RT SCORE

Supergirl - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 98%

Arrow - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 97%

iZombie - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 96%

The Flash - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 94%

Preacher - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 89%

Gotham - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 83%

Lucifer - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 75%

Constantine - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 72%

DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 62%
    MARVEL RT SCORES

Marvel's Luke Cage - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 96%

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 95%

Marvel's Jessica Jones - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 93%

Marvel's Agent Carter - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 87%

Marvel's Daredevil - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 86%
    This show below for the second season did not have enough reviews and the second season score should have been higher or better reviewed from the critics.

Marvel imprints.
    Powers - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 52

You could always check the average critic score and audiences score on rt as well for all these shows as well.

Last edited by mace11; 11-21-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    I get that, but when you think about it, some of the the members look pretty ambiguous.. Gal with her upturned almond eyes and the cheekbones (I mean come on), and even Ezra with his whole facial structure, eyes I really thought the dude had a half asian thing but turns out his dad was jewish, mother European descent..

besides we also have Jason Mamoa whose half Polynesian and Ray whose black/african american. You have someone from the middle east, so not everyone's American And if they're using Barry then I think Hal would be the better fit. His interaction would seem more better and not too forced if written properly. I could see John maybe, Baz? Well, technically by US standards Baz is still "white" just not european descent (besides a lot of Southern Europeans have more higher degrees of ME blood and they're still considered white despite sometimes having almond eyes/thicker lips tanner skin and even curly hair).. but hey he's not European descent so he'll probably have a different cultural aspect. Jess could really bring for the latinas I hope they cast a Mestizo actress and not a "white" latina actress as I'm pretty sure that's what the writers had in mind with her being as a huge amount of Latinos are typically either Mulattos or Mestizos.

Ot sorry. I still think Hal if it's Barry and if Flash wasn't Barry, then John.
    The actor playing flash in the movies looks to me more clearly white then gal however.Gal has a look that kinda could go either way i guess.
    I have to think about that one some more.

There are some folks who think baz is really black,but he is racially brown,not white.The u.s. census when it comes to certain folks in the middle east and even certain folks in southern europe got it wrong,but i think you know that.

Anyway the comic writers say he is a person of color and dc universe history and civilizations of dc's main earth is different then our world.

There are some who would think Kamala khan is white too and the people of india or south asia but we know that's incorrect non-sense.Even Mestizos were classified as white years ago.Some people of south asia and the middle east are white,but some are not.
    In dc and marvel comics so far most peolpe from south asia are shown as brown,while others are shown as black.
    I have not seen anyone shown as white from modern south asia so far in dc and marvel,but keep in mind dc and marvel are different universes.
    Jessica cruz could be either Mulatto(racially brown) or Mestizo.
    I think she is Mulatto(racially brown) but we need to know what her nationality.Originally i read it was puerto rican.

Note- middle east is really southwest asia and egypt in north africa.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-21-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This reply was deleted.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    But as I said, very few people outside comic book fans actually care about Green Lantern and would be fine with something different in a Justice League movie (and it doesn't matter which version is used, they'll be second fiddle to the Trinity so it doesn't matter that much).

If you want to keep in line with what you've been promoting for the last couple years, then yeah go with Hal or John.

I agree, WB made sure long ago that Green Lantern is not going to be an integral part of this movie, so even if we do get some GL extended cameo in JL, does it really matter which version it is in the end? When people discuss GL in the DCEU, most of the arguments seem to be exclusively about identity politics. You can't have another white guy on the team, you need Latino representation, you need another female, you need another black guy... what happened to choosing which characters to use based on the type of story you want to tell, not on the way they look? I thought this was about telling compelling stories with multi-dimensional characters. Do people discuss what any of these characters could potentially bring to the table as actual characters, rather than seeing them solely as quotas? But again, does any of that even matter in this situation, where if the rumor is legit, the representative Green Lantern is just going to have a cameo appearance anyway. People would accept whoever the GL is as long as their appearance is cool and memorable.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-21-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Wow, Powertool and Robotman are really making me want to read GL: Mosaic.

So? Neither did the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. Any GL in Justice League is going to be a supporting character in a movie starring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, who are the most recognised superheroes out there.

People overrate how much the general audience knows Green Lantern, and especially how much they actually care about Green Lantern. Not everyone knows about the character and almost no one outside comic fans cares about the franchise. You can do pretty much anything with the character and the audience would be fine with it. That's why they almost made a Jack Black comedy out of it.

If you're talking about the Corps movie, I doubt they'll make it, but if they do they can just have other Earth Lanterns if Cruz flops in JL. (this is all theoretical ofc)

These posts are awesome especially coming from a Hal avi

You are right in that they have the liberty and luxury to use any of the GLs in Justice League. In fact, it would be smarter to use one of the lesser known Lanterns like Cruz or Baz, to establish recognition and then use them as a segue to GLC (I think it will happen eventually, provided JL doesn't outright bomb miserably).

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.

I thought about it abit more and looked at some more pics of gal.She still has a look overall that could be considered white more so then a racially brown look.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-21-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

If the success of most of Marvel's movie tell us anything, it's that the movie audience doesn't care about what characters are popular in comics and what characters aren't. The average moviegoer never heard of ANYONE in the Guardians of the Galaxy cast. It was still one of the most successful and beloved movies of this comic movie golden age. The average moviegoer never heard of Ant-Man or Dr. Strange either. These movies still did very well.

So yeah. They can go with just about any Green Lantern they want. Heck, they can invent a whole NEW Green Lantern just for the movies if they want. If the trailers and the marketing tell the audience that this movie looks fun and cool, then the audience will be there to watch it.

Personally, I'm almost hoping they do go with Jessica. Not only has she been growing on me as a character lately, she'd be a win for diversity. Heck, the Hispanic/Mexican community responded very favorably to El Diablo in Suicide Squad. Imagine how much better they'd respond to a Latina superhero who 1.) Doesn't have El Diablo's criminal background; and 2.) Doesn't die at the end of the movie? She can add another woman to the League roster. She can further DC's burgeoning image as the place to be for diverse casts. She can, if handled properly, be an all-around likeable character who can really win the hearts of the audience. There's basically no downside to using her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I agree, WB made sure long ago that Green Lantern is not going to be an integral part of this movie, so even if we do get some GL extended cameo in JL, does it really matter which version it is in the end? When people discuss GL in the DCEU, most of the arguments seem to be exclusively about identity politics. You can't have another white guy on the team, you need Latino representation, you need more than one female, you need more than one black guy... what happened to choosing which characters to use based on the type of story you want to tell, not on the way they look? I thought this was about telling compelling stories with multi-dimensional characters. Do people discuss what any of these characters could potentially bring to the table as actual characters, instead of looking at them solely as quotas? But again, does any of that even matter in this situation, where if the rumor is legit, the representative Lantern is just going to have a cameo appearance anyway. People would accept whoever the GL is as long as their appearance is cool and memorable.
    We have the privilege of thinking about the quotas because it is a pretty good opportunity to showcase one of the lesser exposed minority Lanterns. I was just checking the opening weekend demo breakdown of Suicide Squad and the Hispanic demo really turned up in impressive numbers. WB has credited it to the inclusion of El Diablo. If El Diablo can have that kind of effect, imagine the potential of an actual superhero like Kyle Rayner or Jessica Cruz.

As you said, this will most likely be a glorified cameo so any of the Lanterns can turn up without affecting the overall story one way or the other. So it is best to make the most of it and use it as a platform for otherwise absent representation in the film.