Page 98 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798991001011021081481985981098 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 28116
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    With Marvel I feel that they enjoy making the movies and whilst yes, they ovbiously do want money. You can tell they love it. WB just see DC as $$$$$.
    As long as WB hires people who take the genre seriously, it really doesn't matter, though.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I love Marvel's films, but they are just plain simple...not much substance (I like fun movies, but prefer movies that make me think - which is what DC is good at).
    this.
    10char

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nathdog View Post
    WB are copying what Marvel/Disney did by releasing a string of movies of based on characters that will end up in a bigger teamup movie. I remember reading a piece on IMDB where a WB executive admitted they were going to follow then established model had been a success. I would even go further and suggest that the success lead to Marvel being acquired by Disney as Disney lacked assets that appealed to boys, their subsequent purchase of Lucas Film is also suggestive of that. Single cohesive universes have been part of comics but not movies. It had not been done before and a reference to a flying man in Metropolis in a bad Schumacher Batman movie is not evidence of a plan to have a Justice League movie.

Where is your evidence that WB were trying it? All your point suggests is that I am correct as DC are trying it now because someone else tried it and it worked, ergo WB is copying Marvel (actually Disney). it is innovative Releasing a string of movies about lesser known characters that would lead up to a tea up movie was indeed innovative as it had not been attempted before. In economics there is an innovation, then others jump on the band wagon and free rides on the successes of the innovation e.g. Apple iOS v Android, iPad v Galaxy

You raise an interesting point about Marvel having to try something as its now parent company had a lot of properties for girls with their princess assets e.g. Frozen and the other princess movies but very little for boys. Perhaps this is why they acquired Marvel and Lucas Film?
    WB isn't copying Marvel. They're carving their own path. And WB has tried to get a Justice League movie before Avengers/Iron Man even took off. It just didn't work out.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    With Marvel I feel that they enjoy making the movies and whilst yes, they ovbiously do want money. You can tell they love it. WB just see DC as $$$$$.

Yeah, Disney sure loves that money. It's a business. It's ALL about money.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Yeah, Disney sure loves that money. It's a business. It's ALL about money.
    Sometimes it can be both the money and the love of it, but you can't make many movies if your films bomb at the box office.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Fine. If that's the case, then Marvel tried to copy DC for decades and failed miserably (much worse than DC has done these past 15 years during the Marvel ascendancy). Now can we stop this silly playground squabble and actually root for both companies to put out good movies that people will want to watch?
    Yup, as comic book fans, we should be rooting for both companies (competition is good though; encourages both companies to make better movies ). We just need to avoid all the bashing and hate (which I don't think is going to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    This.

They also had the luxury of sitting back and watching the success of characters they had licensed out having very successful movies made, which in turn had been inspired by earlier successful WB superhero franchises of the late 20th century, a period during which those characters were the only ones well known enough to actually get movies made about them when superhero movies were not yet a thing.

Look, Marvel obviously made the current craze happen and pioneered the whole shared-universe thing and WB is obviously playing catchup. But everything is more complicated than Marvel rules/DC sucks.
    Yup.

WB are copying what Marvel/Disney did by releasing a string of movies of based on characters that will end up in a bigger teamup movie. I remember reading a piece on IMDB where a WB executive admitted they were going to follow then established model had been a success. I would even go further and suggest that the success lead to Marvel being acquired by Disney as Disney lacked assets that appealed to boys, their subsequent purchase of Lucas Film is also suggestive of that. Single cohesive universes have been part of comics but not movies. It had not been done before and a reference to a flying man in Metropolis in a bad Schumacher Batman movie is not evidence of a plan to have a Justice League movie.

Where is your evidence that WB were trying it? All your point suggests is that I am correct as DC are trying it now because someone else tried it and it worked, ergo WB is copying Marvel (actually Disney). it is innovative Releasing a string of movies about lesser known characters that would lead up to a tea up movie was indeed innovative as it had not been attempted before. In economics there is an innovation, then others jump on the band wagon and free rides on the successes of the innovation e.g. Apple iOS v Android, iPad v Galaxy

You raise an interesting point about Marvel having to try something as its now parent company had a lot of properties for girls with their princess assets e.g. Frozen and the other princess movies but very little for boys. Perhaps this is why they acquired Marvel and Lucas Film?
    You do know that the solo movies, except for WW, comes after JL, right? If they wanted to copy Marvel, they would have done all the solo movies first.

Hmm, I don't know about that. My understanding was the Marvel went bankrupt..which resulted in them being bought out by Disney (Again, I don't know whether it's true. That's what I have heard).

I was not talking about Schumacher films. Did you not read my previous replies? I was referring to JL: Mortal...they hired actors, they made a script (you can read it online, just google it). But, circumstances forced WB to abandon the project.

Yeah, this is not as simple as that. WB had tried before, they just couldn't finish it.
    Last edited by Triple J; 10-24-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    When do you guys think the supposed teaser for BvS: DoJ will be out, Interstellar or Hobbit?
    I want to say Hobbit (more people are likely to watch this?).

Of course, Nolan's movies aren't that bad either.

Perhaps they might do both (hey, that's not too bad, is it? Two teasers, and even more exposure).

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

We usually get trailers 6 or 7 months out. BvSDoJ is not due to be released until March of 2016, so we will likely have to wait a year for the first trailer but I bet we will get a teaser trailer ever couple of months.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56588

New rumor that Eisenberg's Lex will be in the Suicide Squad movie. I think it would be intersting if they used him as a strategist behind the scenes similar to Oracle in the Ostrander days or more recently James Gordon Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56588

New rumor that Eisenberg's Lex will be in the Suicide Squad movie. I think it would be intersting if they used him as a strategist behind the scenes similar to Oracle in the Ostrander days or more recently James Gordon Jr.
    That sounds awesome

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Sometimes it can be both the money and the love of it, but you can't make many movies if your films bomb at the box office.
    So money is the bottom line.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Warner brothers is probably trying to cash in on the current superhero movie fad before the consumers get sick of superhero movies. After the superhero movie fad fades away, warner brothers can probably make more magic movies and vertigo movies.
    And they can still throw a superhero movie in there now and again.
    The question, what is MARVEL gonna do when the superhero movie fad fades?

The LotR movies were Znew Line productions, New Line was taken over post LotR.
    New Line was merged with sister studio WB in 2008 because they weren't managing money well. But it's been a part of Time Warner since 1996. So, LOTR is still a Time Warner production.

Whether WB needed a shared movie-verse is irrelevant to this debate. Marvel took a risk on lesser known characters unlike DC who did not.
    They didn't have choice. If Marvel had X-Men and Spider-man that's all we'd be getting from them year in and year out, much like WB and Superman/Batman.

It is probable that audiences will have tired of superhero movies by the end of this decade and whether you want to admit it or not Warners are copying Marvel.
    Nope. WB started cinematic superhero experience, and by your measurements, it'll probably end with them, too.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    And they can still throw a superhero movie in there now and again.
    The question, what is MARVEL gonna do when the superhero movie fad fades?
    Move onto Vigilante movies, obviously.

NC-17 Punisher Max the Movie directed by Garth Ennis, here we come!

I agree that the superhero bubble will eventually burst, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

As long as both DC & Marvel adapt their best stories (and both publishers have a lot of them), they will be fine (and of course, diversify the tone). Marvel just did that with Captain America 2. DC's slate seems to be doing it (Hopefully with Fun filled movies like Flash and Cyborg).

Another thing to take into consideration is international audience. Both DC and Marvel haven't captured the attention of all of the international audience..there is still a large portion of untapped audience (either they don't know about these movies or they aren't interested).

If they can capture those folks, then this bubble will last even further.