Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sadly I'm not certain DC has done a good job demonstrating they can do any super hero movie well outside of Superman and Batman. Which I guess is why they keep doing Superman and Batman films.
    Which is why WB is taking a more direct role. Geoff Johns is the ultimate Hal Jordan fanboy, and it showed in the film. WB may use John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan to salvage that franchise. DC tried like hell to bury Stewart, despite his popularity with non-comic fans. Disney is smart to not totally cater to the fanboys at Marvel.

Had Marvel not sold the film rights, they may only have put out Spider-Man & X-Men movies (the way DC does Batman & Superman), and never bothered with the other films they ended up using.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Which is why WB is taking a more direct role. Geoff Johns is the ultimate Hal Jordan fanboy, and it showed in the film. WB may use John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan to salvage that franchise. DC tried like hell to bury Stewart, despite his popularity with non-comic fans. Disney is smart to not totally cater to the fanboys at Marvel.

Had Marvel not sold the film rights, they may only have put out Spider-Man & X-Men movies (the way DC does Batman & Superman), and never bothered with the other films they ended up using.
    I disagree that marvel would only put out Spider-Man X-Men movies. You can make the case that marvel only needs to put out Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor movies. Since they only make 2 movies a year and one is Avengers, you can cycle those 4 characters around without the need for making Black Panther or Captain Marvel or the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Marvel is unique in that they want to build a large shared universe. And everyone else is copying them because they're doing such a great job at it. IMO even if they had Spider-Man and X-Men they'd still try and make other franchises the same way they're not just making movies with the Avengers big 3.

They're giving freaking Jessica Jones a TV show. A lot of fan boys likely never even read the Alias book (though they should because it's amazing) and they're basing a show off of that. So I think they're proving that they're willing to take some chances.

BANNED

Agree with you about Alias. Thoroughly enjoyed that series.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree that marvel would only put out Spider-Man X-Men movies. You can make the case that marvel only needs to put out Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor movies. Since they only make 2 movies a year and one is Avengers, you can cycle those 4 characters around without the need for making Black Panther or Captain Marvel or the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Marvel is unique in that they want to build a large shared universe. And everyone else is copying them because they're doing such a great job at it. IMO even if they had Spider-Man and X-Men they'd still try and make other franchises the same way they're not just making movies with the Avengers big 3.

They're giving freaking Jessica Jones a TV show. A lot of fan boys likely never even read the Alias book (though they should because it's amazing) and they're basing a show off of that. So I think they're proving that they're willing to take some chances.
    As Marvel sold the film rights of their two most popular franchises, all they had left was the Avengers. The Avengers have always been my favorite franchise, historically, so I was quite pleased with the results.

Before the movies, the two franchises with the most cartoons are Spider-Man & the X-Men. Before the bankruptcy, they were always the two that got first dibs being featured in outside media.

Marvel thought outside the box with Iron Man, and I hope Disney continues to push them to be more creative with their other lesser known properties.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Agree with you about Alias. Thoroughly enjoyed that series.
    Yeah, I've heard a million posters on these boards ask why is Jessica Jones getting a TV show ahead of a gazillion other characters. And my answer is always just read Alias. That's likely all it took for a suit at Disney or ABC or whatever to realize that this was a property worth exploring despite that even many comic book readers probably don't really know who this character is.

More than anything, I think it's a good indicator that marvel is willing to take some chances and think outside the box a bit. As long as everything they do so far is essentially sucessful they can afford to do that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Left to Marvel, this guy would never have seen te light of day on the big screen.....

BLADE

Let that sink in for a minute or two.
    But...but unknown minority characters don't sell! It's business!

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I've heard a million posters on these boards ask why is Jessica Jones getting a TV show ahead of a gazillion other characters. And my answer is always just read Alias. That's likely all it took for a suit at Disney or ABC or whatever to realize that this was a property worth exploring despite that even many comic book readers probably don't really know who this character is.

More than anything, I think it's a good indicator that marvel is willing to take some chances and think outside the box a bit. As long as everything they do so far is essentially sucessful they can afford to do that.
    I hope I'm not remembering thing wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jessica Jones was developed as a series for ABC, but they passed on it

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I hope I'm not remembering thing wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jessica Jones was developed as a series for ABC, but they passed on it
    It was. It was announced way back in 2010 but the whole deal fell apart over content. Melissa Rosenberg wanted more adult, edgy content like in the comic but ABC was hesitant to go that route. That's probably why it took Marvel cutting a deal with Netflix to finally get the show to the air.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It was originally shopped to ABC back in 2010, and then again in 2012. It was passed on, from what I understand, because of the content. It then became part of the Netflix group.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It was. It was announced way back in 2010 but the whole deal fell apart over content. Melissa Rosenberg wanted more adult, edgy content like in the comic but ABC was hesitant to go that route. That's probably why it took Marvel cutting a deal with Netflix to finally get the show to the air.
    I think things probably ended up for the best. Something likely would have been lost in the translation of a more family friendly version of Alias. I'm assuming the Net Flix version can be a bit edgier. Plus the whole thing with linking the other Net Flix shows.